Chapter 16

Hard But Easy

It was one of those days that I was feeling too lazy to even leave my bed. Luckily for me, it was a Saturday so I didn't have to rush for work. Stealing a glance at the clock on the wall, I saw that it was almost noon. I didn't even wake up to eat my breakfast. Just when I was about to pull my comforter up to continue sleeping, my stomach growled. I tried to ignore it but the growling was making it more difficult for me to sleep.

"Damn it. Just when I thought that I could skip lunch too."

I sat up straight with my head hung low. My eyes were still half closed and I was about to doze off again when my phone rang.

"Aigoo." I grumbled while trying to reach for my phone on the table. "Yeoboseyo?"

"Jinnie-ah!"

My eyes automatically widened in surprise at the loud voice as I looked at the screen on my phone to check who was the caller.

"Yah, Kwon Yoona. What's with the loud voice?" I asked softly as I heard her giggling.

"Are you free today?" She asked as I replied that I was. "Not going out? No dates?"

"Are you trying to be funny? Because I'm too lazy to laugh." I replied nonchalantly while imagining Yoona pouting at the moment. She explained that she needed me to come down to Twin Towers Cafe as she wanted my help with something. "Give me an hour then."

An hour later, I was already seated at Sooyoung's office while waiting for Yoona to come up with my lunch. When I arrived earlier, the first thing that Yoona had asked was if I had eaten. She brought me to Sooyoung's office where her girlfriend was engrossed in playing some games on her phone.

"Hey, Soo. Do you know why Yoona wanted me to come here?" I asked as Sooyoung nodded her head while her eyes was still on her phone. "Have you eaten?"

Once again, she nodded her head but was still engrossed in the game. I sighed and was about to lean back into my chair when my phone rang. This time round, I looked at the caller id before answering.

"Amber?" I mumbled to myself before sliding the answer button. "Hello?"

"Eunjin-unnie, this is Amber. Can I ask a favour from you?"

'What's up with everyone asking for help or favour from me today?' I thought to myself before asking Amber about what favour she was asking for.

"Will you be free to join me and my friends for a basketball game tomorrow? We are short of one player." She replied before telling me about the time and venue of the game which was the usual place where we would play.

"I should be free tomorrow so I'll see you around then." I replied as Amber thanked me.

Yoona came back shortly with a tray of food and drinks which I noticed was enough for 3 person. Asking her who else was joining us, Yoona pointed to her girlfriend who seemed to have stopped playing the moment Yoona came in with the food. She joined us at the round table and had a wide smile on her face.

"I thought you said that you have eaten." I asked Sooyoung.

"I did. About two hours ago." Sooyoung replied as she took a glass of water and drank it.

"My shikshin needs to eat every two hours." Yoona replied before she chuckled at her own remarks.

"Every two hours? What are you? A baby?" I said as Yoona laughed further while Sooyoung just meronged at me. "By the way, what help do you need from me?"

While having our lunch, Yoona explained that she and Sooyoung were interested to set up a live band corner in the cafe for performance on weekends. They've already had that idea months ago but didn't manage to find someone capable of leading a band until they heard me sang last week.

"That's why I have a guitar in my office that day. I actually have a drum set and a keyboard kept in the storage room downstairs. So far, we only managed to get people who can play the instruments but no one to lead the singing." Sooyoung explained.

"Hyunnie can sing well, right? I remembered that she likes to sing when she was younger." I said as Yoona nodded her head.

"But Hyunnie is busy with school. Most of the time, she'll be holed up in her dorm. Doing her school assignments and projects." Yoona informed me. "Both of us have been discussing about this for the past few days, which is why we're asking for your opinion on this. Of course, we will pay for your service."

"It's not about the money." I replied. "It's about time management. If you guys are planning to have it on weekends, won't that be attracting more crowd with the live band? Based on my experince working in a restaurant with a live band, the crowd usually comes in when the live band starts. Are you guys prepared for the huge crowd, especially when your cafe is usually full on weekends?"

Yoona and Sooyoung looked at each other before shaking their heads. Sooyoung said that they had planned to have it on weekends because that was the only time that I won't be working.

"If you want my opinion, I would rather you have it on weekdays. Not everyday but maybe on certain days. On weekends, your cafe is already making a lot of profits since it's usually packed. It's only on weekdays that you might want to increase the customers volume by having the live performance." I laid out my suggestion as both of them listened. "About my working hours, the workshop usually close by 7pm. I could reach here by 7.30pm. An hour of performance should be enough before you guys close the cafe for the day. What do you think?"

************************

I switched off the engine and removed my helmet before hanging it by the side of my bike. After taking out a black snapback from the bag that was hung over my shoulders, I made my way towards the basketball court while putting on the snapback with the brim facing the back.

(Imagine that this is what Eunjin was wearing)

New-2015-Summer-Style-Men-s-Gym-Tank-Top

From a distance, I saw Amber and her familiar group of  friends were busy warming up. One of them noticed me and started to wave, causing the rest to be aware of my presence. I walked up to them and greeted everyone.

"Thanks for coming, Eunjin-unnie. You can place your bag at the bench. Krystal will be around to take care of it." Amber said as she pointed to somewhere  behind my back.

'Krystal? She's here? Why?'

My thoughts were going haywire when I heard what Amber had said as I slowly turned around towards the bench area. Just like what Amber had said, Krystal was seated there all by herself. I made my way towards Krystal, who was busy with her phone and placed my bag down. She must have noticed the presence of another person since she suddenly looked up.

"You're here too?" Krystal asked with a surprised tone.

"Yes. Amber didn't inform you?" I asked as Krystal shook her head. "You look lonely."

"Whatever. None of your concern." Krystal replied in a flat tone before turning her attention back to her phone.

'What's with her attitude?'

I frowned and was about to say something to her when Amber called up to me to hurry up. From where I was standing, I gave Amber the ok sign before turning to face Krystal.

"It's going to be hot sitting here while we play. There's some shade under that big tree. You might want to shift there." I pointed to a big tree nearby as Krystal followed the direction where my finger was pointing. "Just leave the bags here. We can see it from where we're playing."

I walked away without waiting for Krystal's response since I was actually a little pissed off with her attitude earlier.

Krystal's POV

"Yes. Amber didn't inform you?" Eunjin-unnie asked as I shook my head. "You look lonely."

"Whatever. None of your concern."

I gave Eunjin-unnie my straight face before looking back at my phone. The truth was, I knew that she was coming. I heard Amber talking to her on the phone yesterday and I was the one who volunteered to come down to watch them play, even when Amber didn't invite me.

"Eunjin-unnie, palli." Amber's voice was heard as both me and Eunjin-unnie kept our silence.

"It's going to be hot sitting here while we play. There's some shade under that big tree. You might want to shift there." I heard Eunjin-unnie saying as I looked up and followed the direction where her finger was pointing at. "Just leave the bags here. We can see it from where we're playing."

I didn't even managed to say anything as she walked away instantly. She didn't even smile when she was saying all those to me. 'Did I go overboard with my answer earlier?' I thought to myself as I observed how the team was warming up before splitting into two groups.

30mins later, I was starting to feel the heat as I looked at the girls sweating it out in the sun. Frankly speaking, I didn't even understand why I was here when I could just laze around on my bed on a Sunday morning. Standing up and making my way to the big tree, I found a nice spot for me to sit down with a view of the basketball court. Surprisingly, sitting under the big tree was actually much more comforting.

As I continued to observe them, my eyes kept focussing on Eunjin-unnie instead of Amber. Even though it was not the first time that I've seen her playing, I was still mesmerised by the way she was showing off her skills and at the same time, playing well as a team. I noticed that she was always giving opportunities for others to score even though she could have done so herself.

A vibration in my jeans pocket stole my attention away as I answered a call from Jessica-unnie. She was looking for me since I was not in my room by the time she was awake. When I told her that I had went out to watch Amber playing basketball, she was totally surprised.

"You wake up early just to watch her play basketball? Are you serious about her?"

I couldn't answer Unnie's question but instead I told her that I needed some fresh air from all the assignments that I was doing. It was obvious that Jessica-unnie didn't believe my excuse from the way she replied me. We chatted for another 10mins before she hung up the phone after asking me to meet her up for lunch at 2pm later.

"Who was that?"

I almost dropped my phone when Amber suddenly appeared behind me and asked as she took a seat beside me. I told her that it was Jessica-unnie and she nodded her head.

"I was looking for you earlier. I didn't find you at the bench until someone pointed you out. How did you know that there's a place like this?" Amber asked as she used her towel to wipe off her sweat.

"Eunjin-unnie was the one who showed it to me. She told me to sit here instead, away from the sun." I replied and had just realised something. "By the way, where's Eunjin-unnie?"

"I think she left already. We had just finished our game and I was busy looking for you so I was not sure if she had went off or not." Amber explained as I felt a tinge of disappointment when I heard it.

I was about to ask her about our next plan when her phone suddenly rang. Excusing herself to answer it, I just stared blankly at the basketball court which was now empty. 'You could have at least said goodbye. Were you still angry at me?' I bite my lips as those thoughts passes through my head.

"Hey, Krystal. I'm meeting Ailee and some of our friends for lunch. Want to join us?" Amber asked the moment she hung up her phone.

"Our friends? You mean Sulli and Luna?" I asked as Amber shook her head before saying out some names that I've never heard before which she said were students from our campus. "I'm actually meeting Sica-unnie for lunch."

After informing Amber about the place where I was suppose to meet Unnie, it seemed that both of us were heading the opposite direction.

"I can drop you off at the restaurant before meeting my friends." Amber suggested as I looked at my watch.

It was only 10mins before 1pm. If Amber was to send me there, it would mean that I'll have to wait for Unnie for more than 30mins.

"It's okay, Am. I can go there by myself. If you were to send me now, I'll be too early for my appointment with Unnie." I explained as Amber double confirmed with me if I was really okay with going there by myself.

After I assured her that I was fine, she bid me goodbye and left.

Eunjin's POV

"The weather is really hot but sweating it out, makes me feel refresh." I mumbled to myself as I looked at my reflection at the mirror.

Wiping my hands clean and hanging my face towel around my neck, I walked out of the public toilet and saw that everyone had left. Well, almost everyone until I saw a lone figure under the big tree.

"Isn't that Krystal?" I was asking myself as I looked around for Amber. "Her car is no longer here. Didn't she see Krystal under the big tree or did Amber leave her by herself?"

I was about to walk up to her but then I remembered the incident earlier. 'None of my concern.' I thought to myself as I turned the opposite direction and walked away. The basketball court was now occupied by a group of boys who were playing around instead of playing proper basketball. I shook my head as I walked past the court and a ball narrowly missed my head. They quickly apologised as I continued walking.

"Excuse me... can you past the ball to us? Excuse me? Hello?.... Hey!! Are you deaf? I'm talking to you who is sitting under the tree."

I heard the comments and shouts from the boys as I glanced behind. The ball that had narrowly missed my head, was now within an arms length from Krystal but she seemed to be ignoring them. From the way the boys were teasing and throwing nasty comments at her, I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen.

I turned around and hastened my pace when I saw the group of 3 boys approaching Krystal but I didn't expect her to stand up and suddenly kicked the ball away. They were clearly unhappy with what she did as one of them went off to collect the ball.

"What's your problem?" One of the boys shouted at her as Krystal maintained her cold glare at them. "You think you're so tough is it?"

From where I was, I noticed that the boy who had went to collect the ball, seemed to be looking really agitated. My guts feeling told me that the boy was planning to harm Krystal and my guess was correct when I saw him aiming the ball at her. I dashed towards Krystal since she seemed oblivious of the incoming ball from her right side.

"Aarrrgghhh!!!"

***********************

"Are you sure you're okay?" The frown on Krystal's face clearly showed that she was worried as I nodded my head. "Rest a little bit more to ensure that the bleeding has really stop."

Krystal was so focused on pressing the bridge of my nose that she didn't seemed to realise the close proximity of our faces.

"Errhhmmm, Krystal. I think I can hold on to my nose myself. The bleeding has stopped anyway." I said as Krystal quickly pulled her body backwards and released her finger.

Both of us continued to sit under the tree in silence, lost in our own thoughts as I held my nose and tilted slightly upwards.

"Thank you for blocking the ball for me earlier." Krystal was the one who finally broke the silence. "And I'm sorry that you ended up being the one who was hit instead. Honestly, I was scared that you had broken your nose when it started bleeding."

"I've had worse injuries before. At least it scared off the boys who ran away after seeing my bleeding nose." I chuckled and was surprised that Krystal giggled at my comment.

"Amber told me that you had went off earlier." Krystal said as I explained that I had went off to the public toiled to clean up for a while. Maybe Amber didn't realised that and thought that I had went off.

"Talking about Amber, where is she? How come you're here alone?" I asked and released my finger from my nose since I was sure that the bleeding had really stopped.

"She went off to meet Ailee and some of her friends for lunch." Krystal replied, her tone of voice was clearly unhappy about it.

"You don't really like Ailee, do you?" I asked Krystal with a teasing tone while Krystal just shrugged her shoulders. "Why didn't you join them then?"

"I've got a lunch appointment with.... Oh no...  What time is it now?" Krystal looked at the watch and saw that it was already 1.55pm. She stood up abruptly and looked at me. "I'm late. Sica-unnie will kill me for making her wait. This is all your fault." 

I was left dumbfounded with my mouth agape as I just observed how she stomped away towards the main road. 'Is she bipolar? One moment she was giggling at my words and the next thing she is finding faults with me.' 

Shaking my head, I followed Krystal from behind and observed how she was desperate to look for a cab. I went up to her and tapped her shoulders.

"Where are you meeting your Unnie?" I asked as Krystal frowned at me before telling me the venue. "Since it's my fault that you're going to be late, at least let me sent you to the place so that your Unnie won't have to wait that long."

I could see that Krystal was contemplating my offer as I walked up to my bike which was just a short distance away. I opened my top box and took out the spare helmet that was inside. By then, Krystal had already walked up to my bike.

"I didn't mean to blame you earlier. I was just panicky just now. It wasn't your fault at all." Krystal said before she looked down, avoiding my eye contact.

"Gwenchana. Since I don't have any plans later, it shouldn't be a problem for me to send you there. Hey, look up." I put on the spare helmet on Krystal's head, the moment she lifted up her head and fastened the strap. "Let's go."

We arrived at the restaurant where Jessica was waiting at around 2.15pm. From a distance, Krystal was able to spot her sister who was seated by herself at a corner of the restaurant. At the moment, Jessica was busy typing on her phone as Krystal climbed down from my bike. It was obvious from the frown on Jessica's face that she was feeling upset.

"I think Unnie is looking for me." Krystal said as I heard a beeping sound to indicate an incoming message. "Thanks for the ride. I better hurry and apologised to her. Unnie hates to wait."

From her facial expression, it was evident that Krystal was scared of her Unnie. She was about to walk away when I grabbed her wrist and lead her inside the restaurant, without even removing my helmet. As both of us stopped in front of the table where Jessica was seated, I saw the stern look in her sister's eyes.

"Jung Soojung. You're late. And you should know how much I hate waiting." Jessica said as she folded her arms and glared at her sister. "And who the hell is this?"

Since my helmet was a full visor type, Jessica was not able to see my face.

(Eunjin's helmet)

Motorcycle-helmet-white-and-red-yh-993-2

"I'm sorry, Unnie. I didn't mean to be late." Krystal replied as she hung her head low.

I removed my helmet and Jessica was surprised that it was me. I explained to Jessica what happened at the basketball court earlier.

"It really wasn't her fault." I said as Jessica finally sighed and nodded her head. "Don't scold her anymore. She's really scared of you."

I chuckled a little as Jessica rolled her eyes at me. I was about to excuse myself when Jessica asked if I've already had my lunch. I shook my head and Jessica invited me to join them.

"It's okay. Both of you can go ahead and enjoy yourselves. I don't want to be a hindrance." I smiled but I was surprised when Krystal held my wrist.

"Join us." Krystal said without even looking at me. "Please."

I took a seat beside Krystal as Jessica handed me the menu book. 

"Just order whatever that you want to eat. No worries. I'm paying." Jessica said as she added on that she had already placed her order, while waiting for Krystal. "What do you want to eat, Soojungie?"

I smiled when I heard the cute nickname that Jessica was using on Krystal before the smile disappeared when Krystal turned to glare at me. I quickly looked down at the menu and pretended to go through it.

Orders were soon taken as Jessica continued to chat with Krystal. In between their talks, Jessica would chat with me too but Krystal remained silent and just listened to our conversation. Luckily for me, it didn't take long for the food to be served.

"I thought you said you were watching Amber playing basketball. Where is she?" Jessica asked as Krystal explained about Amber's whereabouts. "How can she just leave you alone by yourself? Doesn't she realise that it might be dangerous?"

"It's not her fault. I was the one who asked her to go ahead instead. She had wanted to send me here but it was too early at that time." Krystal explained. "Furthermore, no one would expect something like this to happen anyway."

"Why are you being defensive over her? Are you guys together already?" Jessica asked as Krystal immediately shook her head vigorously. "Anyway, you shouldn't have stayed there all by yourself. What if Eunjin was not there? How many times do you expect Eunjin to save you? Car breakdown, haunted house and now this?"

"You knew about the haunted house?" My eyes were wide opened when I found out about it.

"Of course. Do you think I would believe that my little sister would go through a haunted house all by herself? She can lie to everyone but not to her Unnie." Jessica had a proud smile on her face while Krystal was blushing hard. "Me and Tiff interrogated her once we reached home."

"So... am I like a hero to you?" I teased Krystal who turned and glared at me.

"Shut up, idiot. Just finish up your lunch quickly." Krystal rolled her eyes at me.

Lunch was over within an hour as we left the restaurant after Jessica had made the payment. I was about to make my way to my motorbike when Jessica asked if I wanted to join them for shopping. Krystal, who was standing behind her sister, immediately shook her head as if asking me not to agree with her sister's invitation. 

"Seems like Krystal doesn't want me to join though." I said with a smirk as Jessica turned her head around while Krystal's eyes widened. "I'm planning to head down to Twin Towers so I won't be able to join anyway. Thanks for the lunch, Sica. Take care, both of you. Enjoy your shopping."

I waved them goodbye as Krystal meronged at me before following her sister to the car.