Chapter 46

Hard But Easy

From a distance, I saw how happy Krystal was as she took pictures with her family and friends on her graduation day. I was standing beside Yuri, who had came along with Jessica, as both of us just smiled at their interaction.

"No matter what happened, please don't forget who your friends are."

Yuri's sudden remarks caused me to turn and look at her with a frown. I thought Yuri was joking around but she had a straight face on.

"What's with that sudden remark? Are you hinting on something?" I asked as I saw Yuri letting out a sigh.

"After you came back from California, Harabeoji transferred all of your Appa's and Omma's savings into your account which he had been keeping safe all these years. Instantly, you became a millionaire. Soon, you'll be taking his position as the Director of Hanjin Corporation. Obviously, there would be times when I would feel inferior being friends with you. Especially since you suggested for us to work at Harabeoji's company."

My frown deepened as I continued to listen to Yuri's explanation of how she, Taeyeon and Sunny were actually interested in my suggestion but she hesitated when she realised the consequences of accepting that job proposal.

"People in the office would think that we get the job because of our connection with you. That would create unnecessary ill feelings among co-workers. We would also end up being unhappy working there. But then again, we still haven't finalised our decision yet. Sunny said that she wouldn't be bothered with that kind of rumors or gossips around. Me and Taeyeon agreed that she has a better sensitivity level than us." Yuri finally turned to face me and smile. "So if either one of us didn't accept your suggestion of working at the company, please don't take it wrongly."

I nodded my head and patted Yuri's shoulder before telling her that I would have understand if they told me about it.

"Actually, I did talked to Harabeoji about this. A day after I suggested that idea to the 3 of you. He told me that there's pros and cons with my suggestion. The pros is that I can trust the 3 of you. I would know your capabilities and how you can contribute to the company. Cons is like what you told me earlier. All those ill feelings, gossips and rumors. But Harabeoji told me that as long as the 3 of you can prove to the rest that you all are able to contribute well to the company, sooner or later, everyone would see your worth. He said that in this world, there would always be people who would try to bring you down or make you feel unworthy but the only person who will know your true worth is your ownself. Never let the negative judgement of others affect you." I explained as Yuri nodded her head. 

"Why do the both of you look so serious?" Jessica suddenly appeared beside Yuri and wrapped her hands around Yuri's arm.

"Men talk." Yuri gave a short reply before Jessica rolled her eyes at her. "Is everything done?"

"Not yet. Soojung wants to talk a photo with the both of you." Jessica informed as she pointed to where Krystal was. "Family portrait."

A few hours later, the six of us were seated in a restaurant for our lunch. Since it was a buffet, everyone took their time to wander around to pick their own food. Jessica and Krystal had volunteered to pick the food for their parents so Appa Jung and Omma Jung just waited at the table for us.

Krystal and I were looking through the food on display when Jessica appeared in front of us. She asked Krystal if she could borrow me for a while as Krystal frown.

"Where's Yuri-unnie?" Krystal asked as she pouted, showing her reluctance to let me go.

"I sent her back to the table with the food that I had chosen for Omma and Appa. I'm just going to borrow Eunjin for a short while." Jessica clinged her hand around my right arm as I saw Krystal's eyes widened.

"No skinship. 10mins. I will only give you 10mins." Krystal glared at her sister.

"Meanie." Jessica released her hand and meronged at her little sister. "Come Eunjin. I only have 10mins to ask you."

Jessica gestured me to follow her to a less crowded area before she turned around and faced me.

"Okay, spill. Tell me the truth. What did Yuri talked to you about earlier?" Jessica folded her arms and had a serious expression on her face. "I've been observing both of your interactions earlier and noticed how serious both of you were. Is there something wrong?"

I chuckled a bit before I explained what we had talked about earlier. Jessica listened attentively to everything as she nodded her head until I ended the story.

"She has been a little worried ever since Sunny decided to close the workshop. Even though her dad told her that she can always come back to help him out at his shop but it's something that Yuri has little interest in." Jessica informed me. "Actually, Yuri has been trying to save up for our wedding."

My eyes widened and a grin spread on my face when I saw Jessica blushing a little. She continued to inform me that Yuri and her have yet to inform anyone about it because it was still something in progress.

"Has she proposed to you yet?" I asked as she shook her head.

"She casually informed me that she's saving up money for our wedding and she said that she would only propose once she's ready. I told her that I would chip in too but she said that at the moment, she will handle everything. But I've been saving up on my own, without her knowing." Jessica smiled.

"Unnie... Your 10mins is up."

We were surprised when we heard Krystal's voice as we turned to find her looking at us with her arms folded. I saw her eyes widened when I felt Jessica's hand around my arms as she pulled me towards Krystal.

"You little meanie.. How can you be so calculative with your own sister." Jessica meronged at Krystal who rolled her eyes at her.

"Fine. I'm going off to look for Yul-unnie and be clingy with her."

"Yah!!!"

As I watched the two sisters running off and chasing each other, I scratched the back of my head and chuckled.

************************

"Are you bored?"

I shook my head and smiled. Honestly, I was a little bored but I didn't have the heart to say it to Harabeoji who seemed very focus on his fishing rod. It's been two of hours of silence since we both arrived at the lake where Harabeoji had brought me for a fishing trip. I heard the old man chuckling as I turned to my side and looked at him.

"I know you are bored. Your Appa also didn't like to go fishing with me too."

I smiled sheepishly and told him that I was indeed getting a little bored. Harabeoji continued to chuckle as he called out to one of his bodyguards who was standing a distance away. The tall man arrived by his side and bent down his head slightly to receive some instructions from Harabeoji.

As I quietly observed the whole interaction, I begun to wonder the reason for Harabeoji to engage at least one bodyguard to follow him around, everywhere he went. After the guy left us, I asked the question that was on my mind.

"I started having bodyguards with me even before I took over the company from my father. He had been treated and targetted a few times when he was managing the company. Maybe because at that period of time, competition was tough and the laws were not that strict on unlawful behaviours. But after I took over, everything seemed to have tone down a lot. I made a lot of business partners along the way. Tried to be more cooperative with one another. But even so, the fear was always there. That something might happened." Harabeoji paused for a while before he took a deep breathe. "Something like what had happened to you."

I was about to reply to him that everything was in the past and that I was fine when the bodyguard returned with two rolls of kimbap wrapped in aluminium foil. I took the food from him as Harabeoji gestured me to start eating while he unwrapped his food.

"Honestly, you reminded me a lot of your Appa. Even though you are a girl, but your features are similar to him." Harabeoji smiled as he continued to take bites from his kimbap. "We used to do a lot of activities together when he was young. Cycling, ice skating, even fishing although I knew that he didn't like it at all but he would still accompany me. He slept most of the time though."

I laughed at Harabeoji's remark, along with him before silence creeped in. I saw Harabeoji taking a deep breathe before he continued.

"He started to change slowly after he entered the University. He had more assignments to do and he would rather stay in the dorm than return home. I knew that he was upset with me when I didn't allow him to take the subjects that he wanted to do. When he wanted to take a motorbike license during his freshman year, I refused and didn't give him permission. Your Halmeoni kept telling me that your Appa was staying away from us because of my stubborness but I refused to swallow my pride. After he graduated and refused to work at the company, I felt angry at him. He left the house and started working as a mechanic. But I was still accepting his behaviour since I thought that it was just a passing phase from him. But everything escalated when he refused the arranged marriage. I felt betrayed by his actions and out of anger, I disowned him. All the oppressed feelings between us added on to the issue as your Appa didn't return home at all."

I listened quietly to everything that Harabeoji was telling me as I knew that he was letting out his frustrations.

"I made a lot of mistakes as a father and even more mistakes as a grandfather. But I realised it too late. When you came to visit me at the prison, I felt so small in your presence. I thought to myself. Here in front of me is the girl that I have never acknowledged her existence since she was born. Instead of laughing at my state at the moment, with a sincere heart, she extended her hand to help me out. Helping this old man who had done nothing for her throughout her whole life. But here she is, trying her best to help me with whatever little assistance she could offer." Harabeoji paused and looked at me with his teary eyes. "I cried after you left the prison. I cried even more when Park came back without you and after finding out what had happened to you."

"Harabeoji, gwenchana. I'm fine now. Don't cry." I wanted to console him but my hands were a little oily and I didn't really know where I should actually place my hands, which made it looked a little awkward.

"I know you are still awkward around me but thank you for the thoughts." He took my hand and patted it. "I know I don't have much time left in this world and I don't dare to ask much from you. But I have one small favour though. Halmeoni...."

"I'll take care of her. No worries." I cut him off and patted his hand just like what he did to me earlier. "I promise you to take care of her well."

Harabeoji nodded his head in satisfaction before he turned to look at the lake again. I wanted for him to continue talking but it seemed like he was done with everything that he wanted to say.

"Harabeoji, I do have one question though." I timidly asked as he turned to look at me. "About the company."

He started chuckling and nodded his head. "Just tell me everything that is bothering you. I will try my best to help you in every way I could."

"Do you think I'm capable of taking over the company? I've got little experience and I don't want to bring down the company due to my incapabilities to lead."

"Do you know why I like fishing?" Harabeoji asked as I shook my head. "Managing a business is like fishing. Sometimes, on good days, you can get good catches. Some days, you didn't have any catch at all. Sometimes, even after waiting for so long, you still won't get anything. But there are times when you don't like what you catch."

I blinked my eyes rapidly and scratched the back of my head after hearing Harabeoji's explanation.

"A business is like fishing. Because not everyday you will get the same results. Sometimes, you can have a lot of orders in a day but sometimes, there's none at all because of the season. The fishes that you catch are like your customers. Some are good and some are not to your likings but in both cases, you will still want to bring them back. Your fishing equipments are your colleagues and workers. You need them to be in top form to be able to get good results. In some cases, you might need to get them repaired or even replaced them but it's all part and parcel of the whole process."

As I slowly understood whatever that Harabeoji was trying to tell me, I subconsciously nodded my head at everything that he said.

"But you are in control of the whole situation. You'll be the one to decide whether is a good day to go fishing. Based on the location, based on the weather. At the beginning, you will make a few wrong decisions but as you become more accustomed to the nature of the job, you will learn about your mistakes and grow to be a better decision maker." Harabeoji smiled widely at me as he pointed to my fishing rod that was moving vigorously.

Both of us quickly started to pull the fishing rod but since I was inexperience, I had trouble controlling it. Luckily Harabeoji was around to help me as we pulled up a medium-sized carp fish. I was grinning proudly at my catch as Harabeoji patted my head.

"And always remember that there will be people around you who will be willing to help along the way." Harabeoji stated before he placed the fish into a pail of water.

We continued staying by the lake, having small talks with each other before deciding to return home when it was almost 3pm. We've been at the lake since 9am so both me and Harabeoji had agreed that it was more than enough fishing for the day. Inside the car, I was about to doze off to sleep when a thought appeared in my head.

"Harabeoji, when I take over the company, does that mean I would need a bodyguard too?" I bit my lips as I tried to imagine having someone following me around everywhere I went especially when I'm on my date with Krystal. "Even when I'm with Krystal?"

Harabeoji suddenly laughed out loud as he started clapping his hands. "Obviously the bodyguards will give you personal space. Usually, they would monitor from a distance."

I frowned a little as I tried to imagine the scenario but I ended up shaking my head due to the discomfort of knowing that someone was watching you.

"Don't stress too much about the bodyguards. Uncle Park will know what to do when the time comes for you to actually engage their services." Harabeoji said as I nodded my head before I saw a frown appearing on his face. "Speaking of Uncle Park, I just remembered about something that he told me a few days back. About Byun Yoo Han."

************************

Yuri's POV

It was a bright Saturday morning. A day that was very suitable to go on dates. But at the moment, I was just lying on my bed and staring at the ceiling for the past one hour. There were a lot of thoughts in my head. Too many to the extent that I didn't even know what I was thinking anymore. I knew I had a lot of worries too.

Yesterday was officially the last day that the workshop was in operation. Yesterday was also the beginning of my jobless state at the moment. 

A beeping sound distracted me momentarily as I stretched my hand to grab my phone from the side table. Looking at the message from Jessica, who had wished me good morning. I remembered when she asked me last night if I wanted to meet up today but I told her that I might need some time alone to clear the tools that I had brought back from the workshop. I knew she wanted to spend some time with me and I felt guilty for not letting her do so.

I replied her morning message, asking her to eat breakfast and told her that I could spare some time for dinner with her. The reply that she gave me really showed how much she appreciated my suggestion.

"If I could, I would want to spend every minute of my life with you. But I need to save up first."

I mumbled before I started berating myself for not having a proper savings on my own. Frankly speaking, I regretted whatever lifestyle that I had before Jessica came into my life. I was a player then. With a lot of girls willing to throw themselves at me including financially. I had no worries about money since most of them were more than willing to spend on me. The pay that I received from Sunny while working at the workshop was mostly spent on upgrading my car, going to expensive pubs and having a luxurious lifestyle. Luckily, I wasn't the type who would go to the extend of borrowing money.

Well, maybe from Taeyeon or Sunny but they made sure that I would pay them back.

Getting more restless while lying down, I sat up and leaned against my headrest. Ever since I met Jessica and realising that she was the one that I want to spend my life with, I had started to save up more money. Not only for our wedding but also for our future. Since Jessica currently owned an apartment, I didn't have to worry for a house at least. I wasn't planning to have a grand wedding but thinking of how Jessica is a Director of a Fashion Company, I had to admit that a simple wedding was out of the way. 

I did told Jessica, a few months back that I'm planning to save up for our future and I told her that I would propose when I'm totally ready. So when we spent lesser time together on dates and only meeting up on weekends, I could feel that she was a little disheartened. But work was piling up on her so eventually, she didn't mind at all.

Initially, I calculated that if I'm able to save consistently, I would be able to hold the wedding by the middle of this year but after finding out that the workshop would be closing, all my plans went haywire. 

Working for Appa was out of the question since the pay that he's offering me was lower than what I earned at the workshop. Looking for other jobs seemed a hassle and most of them were only giving a basic salary, at least for the first 3 months.

'Hanjin?'

That company name had been lingering in my mind for the past few days, especially since Krystal's graduation day.

In this world, there would always be people who would try to bring you down or make you feel unworthy but the only person who will know your true worth is your ownself. Never let the negative judgement of others affect you.

Eunjin's words echoed in my head as she told me what Harabeoji had told her before. Another sigh escaped my mouth as I turned to look at where my Degree was, neatly hanged against one of my walls. 

Taeyeon's POV

"Taetae... Taetae... Kim Taeyeon!!!"

I jolted up from my sleep as my eyes blinked repeatedly, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness in my room.

"Ppany-ah... It's too bright." 

I covered my eyes with my hand before Tiffany eventually closed one of the curtains in my room. I was about to lie down again to continue my sleep when I felt my blanket being pulled away.

"Wake up, lazybum. It's already noon."

"But Ppany-ah... It's a Saturday. Why can't I just sleep in for today?" I pouted and tried to act cute.

"You can spend the rest of the week in bed when I'm working. But since I'm free now, you need to accompany me."

I was about to protest when I saw Tiffany folding her arms across her chest and giving me the puppy looks. 'Aigoo... why do I have such a cute girlfriend.'

"Arraseo, arraseo.. Let me shower first." 

I was about to walk towards my bathroom when my phone rang. Since Tiffany was nearer to where my phone was, she showed me the screen before answering the call.

"Hey Yul. What's up?... She's taking a shower... Plans?... I don't think so. I was just planning to spend some time with Omma Kim... I'll asked her to call you back once she's done showering.... Bye."

A frown appeared on my face as I just listened to everything that was conversed between Tiffany and Yuri. After Tiffany ended the call, I waited for her explanation.

"Yuri seemed a little down from her tone of voice. She asked if both of us had any plans and I've got a feeling that she wants to meet you up. Something must be not right. Jessi was at home when I left the apartment earlier. When I asked if she was going out, she shook her head." 

"So you decide to let Yuri meet me up later if she wants to, rather than spend time with me?" I asked as Tiffany nodded her head.

"I don't think she would take a long time to meet you. I can wait here until both of you are done. Then we can go on our date." Tiffany smiled brightly as I walked up to her and kissed her on her forehead.

"Thank you for being such an amazing girlfriend to me and an understanding friend to Yuri. I'll give her a call once I'm done with my shower."

An hour later, just like what Tiffany had predicted, Yuri asked to meet up for a short while. Grabbing a t-shirt and skinny jeans, I prepared myself to go out when I saw Tiffany and Omma in the kitchen.

"What are the both of you planning to do?"

"I'm showing Fany some simple recipes that she can try to learn and cook whenever she's free at home." Omma replied as I pretended to show a shocked look.

"Is my Miyoungie learning how to be a housewife?" I smirked dorkily as Tiffany pouted since she didn't like it when I with her Korean name.

"Omma!! Taeyeon is teasing me."

I meronged at her as she showed me her fist while Omma just laughed at our antics. Omma then excused herself to use the bathroom for a while. Rolling her eyes at me, Tiffany turned her back and decided to ignore me.

"Aigoo.. my wifey is angry at me." I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her waist. "My oo..."

I noticed a slight tint of blush on Tiffany's cheeks as she continued to ignore me and just when I was about to peck her cheeks, Omma came back.

"Aren't you suppose to meet up with Yuri? You should get going or you might be late. Don't worry. I will keep your wifey entertain while you're not around."

"Omma!!!"

Tiffany's cheeks became redder as both me and Omma chuckled before I left the house.