Chapter 45

Hard But Easy

"How is he?"

I waited eagerly for Doctor Ahn's reply as I felt Krystal's hands on my back, rubbing it slowly to calm me down. Both of us were currently at the hospital, in front of the operation theater, where Harabeoji was admitted after he had collapsed while he was in the office. Luckily Uncle Park was around to call in the ambulance and they brought him in as soon as possible.

Halmeoni would be arriving soon with Shin Hye and Aunt Nancy from their house while I came with Krystal after fetching her from the school campus.

"He had another relapse. My colleagues are checking on him at the moment. He should be transferred out to his ward soon." Doctor Ahn explained carefully before she took a long deep breathe. "But I need all of you to be prepared. He doesn't have much time left."

I let out a long sigh before I turned to look at Krystal. Her eyes were teary but she was trying to hold back her tears. I knew that she was trying to be strong for me and I really appreciated her gestures. She had grown closer to Harabeoji and Halmeoni over the weeks and since Harabeoji was a changed man, he was more pleasing to spend time with. Putting my hand over her shoulder, I pulled her closer to me.

"Cry if you want to. There's no need to hold back your tears." 

Instantly, she turned her body and wrapped her arms around my waist as she hid her face on my shoulder. Soon, she was sobbing quietly and it was my turned to rub her back slowly.

Doctor Ahn and Uncle Park, who had been observing us since just now, could only managed to smile before our attentions were grabbed by the sound of rushed steps towards us. Halmeoni arrived with Aunt Nancy and Shin Hye, holding on to her arms to support her properly. Krystal stopped crying as she turned to look at Halmeoni.

"Aigoo, why are you crying, my child? Even her own granddaughter is not crying." Halmeoni tried to enlighten the atmosphere with her comments as she smiled at Krystal. "How is he, Doctor Ahn? How long more does he have?"

Doctor Ahn gestured for everyone to follow her to her office as she explained in details about Harabeoji's condition. She was almost done explaining when someone knocked on her door. It was one of Doctor Ahn's colleague who arrived to inform her that Harabeoji had been pushed to his own ward.

As I stood in front of the bed with Krystal's left arm around my waist, I observed how Halmeoni adjusted the blanket that was covering Harabeoji before she sat down on the seat beside the bed. Uncle Park, Aunt Nancy and Shin Hye were seated on the couch. 

"Your Harabeoji is actually a nice man. It's just that his ego was too huge that he had forgotten what is important to him. When he finally realised it, God wants him to come home as soon as possible." Halmeoni smiled to herself as she let out a soft sigh. "He wanted to correct his mistakes but I don't think he has the time to do so. On his behalf, I want to seek your forgiveness, Eunjin. Would you forgive him?"

I was speechless with Halmeoni's question as I blinked my eyes rapidly. It was not because I couldn't forgive him but because I had never held any grudges towards Harabeoji. I admitted that there were times where I hated his guts but I had never truly hated him as a person. 

"Halmeoni, I have never blamed Harabeoji for anything even though there were times that I was upset with him. It didn't have to come to a point where you had to apologise." I replied carefully as I saw Halmeoni smiling at me.

"That's because you are the better person, my child. You don't hold grudges no matter how bad he treated you. Which is why the more he needs to apologise. He is the older one and should be leading by example." Halmeoni explained while I could only nod my head.

We were surprised when there were some movements from Harabeoji as Halmeoni quickly stood up. He opened his eyes slowly and smiled when he saw Halmeoni. Even Uncle Park, Aunt Nancy and Shin Hye had made their way towards the bed. When Harabeoji wanted to lift himself up slightly, Uncle Park assisted him with my help. 

"Aigoo... I must have caused a lot of trouble for everyone. Mianhae." Harabeoji said as he tried to smile but it looked like he was in pain. "This headache keeps coming and going, as they wish."

He chuckled at his own remarks while Halmeoni just smiled and rubbed his hands lovingly. Harabeoji then asked Uncle Park about things at work before he fainted earlier and Uncle Park updated him by saying that everything had been taken care of. Doctor Ahn, who was away earlier since she had things to discuss with her colleagues, came back into the ward and was surprised that Harabeoji had woken up.

We made way for Doctor Ahn to check on Harabeoji before she assured us that everything was fine. She asked Harabeoji if he was feeling any discomfort and I saw the old man smiling.

"Being in a hospital is a big discomfort to me so can I be discharged now?" Harabeoji's remarks caused Doctor Ahn to be baffled before he laughed and told her that he was just kidding around. "But please allow me to go home once all the checks are completed."

Harabeoji then asked if all of us already had our lunch since it was already 2pm and all of us shook our heads. He then instructed Uncle Park to get food for us and to bring one of the bodyguards outside the ward to assist him. After Uncle Park left, Aunt Nancy and Shin Hye went back to sit at the couch while Doctor Ahn excused herself to return to her office. Halmeoni took her seat beside the bed while I returned to stand beside Krystal.

************************

"What's on your mind?"

I looked up and smiled at Krystal, who was drying her hair with the towel, after she was done with her shower. I was lost in my own thoughts as I stared at the TV in front of me which was not switched on and didn't realised that Krystal had came out from the bathroom until she had asked me that question.

"Just some things." I replied as Krystal squinted her eyes at me.

"Some things like?"

"Harebeoji and Halmeoni. The company. The workshop. How Yuri, Taeyeon and Sunny would be jobless soon. And also about us."

"That's not some. That's a lot. And what is it about us that is troubling you?" Krystal hung her towel before making her way to sit beside me on the couch. "Did I do anything wrong?"

"Anni. I was thinking about what we should eat for dinner since I'm hungry. That is the part where it concerns us." I grinned dorkily as Krystal rolled her eyes at me before she slapped me on the shoulder lightly.

"Do you want to go out or just order food in?" Krystal asked as I pouted and shrugged my shoulder before I laid down and rest my head on her lap. "Let's just order in."

I nodded my head and handed her my phone since there was a lot of apps in it where you could order food online. I told her to just used my card details that had been saved in my phone to make payment. When she asked me about my food choices, I told her that I would just leave it to her to decide.

As Krystal used her right hand to scroll on my phone screen, her left hand were on my head with her fingers my hair slowly and playing around with it. Her actions were making me feel sleepy and I was about to doze off when I heard her saying that it was done.

"What did you order?" I asked as Krystal replied that she ordered jajangmyun for both of us with additional side orders. "Okay. It'll take about 30mins for it to arrive so let me nap for a while."

"Andwae. You need to tell me about everything that is bothering you. Let's start off with Harabeoji and Halmeoni." I wanted to sit up but Krystal placed her hand on my forehead and pushed me back to her lap slowly. "Just lie down and talk. I like seeing your face from above."

"Oh my god, why does that sound ?" I said teasingly with a poker face as Krystal glared at me. "Mianhae."

I chuckled nervously before telling her about how I was worried with Harabeoji's health condition and also about how Halmeoni would cope if Harabeoji was gone.

"I think you don't have to worry about that. From what Halmeoni had told me before, she seemed to have accepted the fact that Harabeoji didn't have much time left to live. So at the moment, she's going to 'force' Harabeoji to spend as much time as he can with her. That's what she told me before."

"Jinjja?" I had a shock after hearing what Krystal had told me. "When did Halmeoni told you all this?"

"Before you came back. After Halmeoni had been discharged from the hospital, I would spend most of my weekends with your grandparents. There was once I came and Harabeoji was not at home. That was when Halmeoni started to express her feelings and thoughts to me." Krystal explained as she rubbed my forehead to erase the frown that had appeared. "I think both of them are more than prepared than us when the time comes for Harabeoji to move to a better place."

I let out a sigh and nodded my head before Krystal asked me to talk about the next issue, which was about the company.

"Well, isn't it obvious? Once Harabeoji is not around anymore, his shares would be automatically transferred to me, making me the next in line. Taking over that company is not easy. I'm so lacking in everything." 

Krystal gave me a blank look and I was about to say something when the doorbell rang. Food had arrived so both of us shifted to the dining area after everything had been set up nicely.

We decided to put our conversation on hold and ate our dinner first but halfway through, I almost choked on my food when Krystal slammed her chopstick down on her bowl loudly.

Seeing my shocked face, she quickly handed a glass of water to me before apologising. "I was too excited when the thoughts came into my mind."

"What thoughts?" I asked after I swallowed down the drink.

"About solving two of your worries at once." Krystal grinned widely at me but I was still looking confused. "Ask Taeyeon-unnie, Yuri-unnie and Sunny-unnie to work at Harabeoji's company."

"Work at Hanjin? I don't think....." I paused for a moment as I thought back about Krystal's suggestion. "Actually, that's not a bad idea."

Krystal smiled proudly as she continued eating before I gave her a peek on her cheek.

"Thank you for the suggestion. I will discuss with the girls about it tomorrow." I smiled at Krystal but was surprised when she turned to glare at me. "Wae, wae? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Did you just kiss me with your oily lips, stained with jajangmyun sauce?" Krystal's words were slow but forceful.

"Ooops." I chuckled nervously when I did saw some black stains on her cheek. "I think I'm done with dinner. I should shower now."

I was about to stand up and run away when Krystal grabbed the back of my t-shirt. As she tugged my clothes, I turned around and felt a peck on my cheek before I noticed Krystal grinning.

"Okay. Now both of us have stained cheeks together. So it's fair. You can go and shower if you want to." Krystal said with a poker face as she continued to eat her jajangmyun.

I could only blinked my eyes rapidly at her cute actions before a wide grin appeared on my face. "Aigoo, Jung Soojung... Since when did you become so cute?"

Both of us looked at each other before we ended up chuckling as I sat down again to continue eating while Krystal teased me about my sentence earlier when I said that I was done with dinner.

************************

"Work at Hanjin?" Sunny repeated my words as I nodded my head.

"The three of you have the qualifications to work there. Yuri can join our engineering department with her knowledge in ships. Taeyeon can be part of our design department, taking care of our website and outreach to suppliers where she can help to improvised our webpage and also our flyers and brochures. Sunny can be in the finance department or human resource department. She can also be part of the secretarial team." I elaborated my point.

Yuri, Taeyeon and Sunny looked at each other with frowns on their faces as if they were in deep thoughs. I told them that they could think it over and that I was not forcing them to accept my idea.

"By the way, how's your Harabeoji?" Yuri asked as I replied that he was still at the hospital. "Don't mean to sound rude but if he's gone, does that mean you will have to take over his position?"

I nodded my head, explaining that the shares which Harabeoji held would be transferred to me if he's no longer around.

"So if we agree to work at Hanjin, does that mean you will be our new boss?" Taeyeon asked.

"Most probably." I answered with uncertainty before my phone rang. "Yeoboseyo? Yes, Uncle Park... I'm still at the workshop.. Police station? Okay, I'll see you there later."

Three pairs of eyes were staring at me with curiosity the moment I ended the call. I explained to them that Uncle Park had wanted me to meet him at Gangnam Police Station.

"He said that it has got to do with my kidnapping case in California. Seemed like the police has managed to find the mastermind. Byun Yoo Han. He was caught while trying to leave Seoul."

"Hopefully he gets what he deserved. Planning to sabotage your grandfather and trying to hurt you indirectly." Sunny commented as Yuri and Taeyeon nodded their heads. "You should just go ahead. Get the matter done and over with. There's not much customers anyway."

As I walked to my bike, I typed a message to Krystal to inform her about where I was going and that she might have to stay the night in her dorm since I didn't know how long the whole investigation would take.

Meanwhile at the university library, Krystal was hanging out with Sulli and Luna when she felt her phone vibrating. She read Eunjin's message and pouted a little which didn't go unnoticed by her two friends.

"Wae? Did something happen?" Luna whispered her questions as Krystal nodded her head.

"I might have to stay at the dorm tonight."

"Yah! And that makes you upset?" Sulli growled her question as everyone turned to look at them before Sulli apologised for making noise.

The 3 of them then decided to leave the library so that they could talk comfortably. The moment they stepped out from the library, Krystal received a light slap on her shoulders from Sulli.

"Since Eunjin-unnie came back, you've been spending your night either at her place or your parent's house. Don't you even miss us?" Sulli grumbled and pouted.

"She's trying to adapt to marriage life." Luna teased me as I showed her my fist.

"Of course I miss the both of you.. But I miss my parents and Eunjin too. We have one more week before my graduation. Appa and Omma might be leaving after that soon. Eunjin is stressed out because of her grandfather and the company, which is why I decided to accompany her. She had just message me earlier to inform that she's going to Gangnam police station."

"Police station?! Wae?" Sulli voiced out her concern before Krystal explained in details.

"So does that mean that Byun Yoo Han will be charge in court for everything that he has done?" Luna asked but Krystal shrugged her shoulder, informing them that she's not aware of the procedures.

"Since Krystal would be staying over at the dorm, shall we go to our favourite restaurant for dinner after our last class for the day?" Sulli suggested as Luna and Krystal nodded their heads in agreement. 

2hrs later, the 3 girls were already at their campus carpark. Krystal was the only one who has her own transport so they decided to use her car. They had planned to drive to the place which was nearby to the campus but just when Krystal was about to start her car, she was surprised when it couldn't start. Even after a few tries, it seemed like there was something wrong with the engine. So Krystal went to the front of the car and lifted up the hoot. Instantly, white smoke escaped from the engine, causing Krystal to be shocked and kept coughing due to the smoke.

As Krystal stood there, she was suddenly reminded on that rainy day where Eunjin had appeared to help her with her car. She smiled to herself when she was reminded about the reason as to why her car suddenly stalled on that day.

"I didn't know you can be so happy to see smoke coming out from your engine. Why are you smiling like an idiot?" Luna appeared beside Krystal as she just grinned dorkily at her friend. "Anyway, guess we won't be able to go to the restaurant now since your car is no longer in service."

"Need any help?"

Krystal and Luna turned behind towards the voice and saw Amber smiling at them. They watched as Amber took a look at Krystal's engine before closing the car hood.

"There's no way that the car would start any soon. Where are you both planning to go anyway?" Amber asked.

Krystal was about to answer when Sulli appeared and started pulling Amber's ear, scolding her for hiding her relationship from Ailee from their knowledge. Amber begged for forgiveness and for Sulli to release her ear before she finally did so.

"Look. I'm really sorry, okay. I didn't plan to hide it from the 3 of you at all. Just like how I explained to Krystal that day, me and Ailee planned to inform directly to everyone. It's just that Ailee got held up with work and we couldn't find a suitable date to meet up. I'm really sorry, though." Amber put both her palms together as a gesture of apology and bowed slightly.

"Okay. As a punishment, you need to drive us to our favourite restaurant." Sulli said as Amber nodded her head.

************************ 

I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost 9pm. My eyes were getting heavier as I waited for Uncle Park to settle some things with his old time friend who was a commissioner in the police force. I took out my phone and smiled at the messages that Krystal had sent me. She had informed me about hanging out with Sulli and Luna. She also informed me that Amber was the one who sent them to the restaurant since her car couldn't start.

'I should get her a new car to replace the old one.'

I thought to myself as I continued to look at the food images that Krystal had sent me and I realised that I had not eaten anything since I left the workshop at 3pm. The moment I arrived at the police station, Uncle Park had brought me to meet his friend. They started to narrate to me about the findings of Harabeoji's case and how it was actually linked to my kidnapping case in California.

I was called in to identify the profile of the two kidnappers that was sent in from San Francisco police headquarters and was surprised to find out that they had managed to track down the kidnappers contact and messages to Byun Yoo Han. Time past quickly and soon, I was left in one of the waiting room while Uncle Park continued to chat with his friend in another room. I was about to doze off when my phone rang and I answered without looking at the screen.

"Yeoboseyo?" I answered while trying to stop myself from yawning.

"Are you still at the police station? You sound sleepy." Krystal's voice was heard on the other line.

"I'm still here and I'm really sleepy. But I think it's going to end soon. Just waiting for Uncle Park to settle some stuff."

"Have you eaten your dinner?" Krystal asked as I replied in negative. "Aigoo, I should have packed food for you and drop by the apartment just now."

"Gwenchana. I'm more sleepy than hungry actually."

"But you shouldn't go to sleep on an empty stomach. You won't be able to sleep properly."

I was about to reply to Krystal when I saw Uncle Park walking towards the waiting room. Informing Krystal that Uncle Park was looking for me and telling her to have an early rest, I ended the call and waited for Uncle Park to approach me.

It was almost 10pm when I finally reached my apartment. Removing my helmet and making my way to the lift, I thought back about what Uncle Park had briefed me before I left the police station. He said that the police had already completed their investigation and with the evidence in hand, they would charge Byun Yoo Han in court for sabotage and involvement in overseas kidnapping. Uncle Park did mentioned that when he went to meet Yoo Han, that guy was pleading for leniency.

He told Uncle Park that he would leave the country and relinquish his shares in Hanjin Corporation if I dropped the case against him. He admitted his mistake and said that it was done out of sheer greed. He told Uncle Park that he wanted to apologise directly to me and Harabeoji but at the moment, Uncle Park rejected his request.

As I thought back to what Uncle Park had told me, I wondered if I should give that man a chance. If he was really convicted and put to jail, I believed that it would affect his future and business prospect. I didn't really know him that well except that his late father was a close friend of Harabeoji. I was so lost in my own thoughts that it shocked me when I opened the door of my apartment and the lights were already on.

'Did I forget to switch off my lights when I left for work this morning?'

Feeling a little uneasy, I walked out from my apartment and looked at the number on my door again just to ensure that it was really the correct apartment.

"Aigoo, stupid Eunjin. You entered your password at the door just now. Obviously, it's your own home." I slapped my forehead and mumbled to my ownself before re-entering my apartment.

Once again, I was shocked when I saw Krystal standing in the middle of the apartment while rubbing her hair with a towel.

"What are you doing, going in and out of your apartment in the middle of the night?" She asked with a curious look in her face.

"I thought I went into someone else home when I saw that the lighst were on. Then I realised that it was my own home."

"Pabo. Anyway, I brought back some food for you from the restaurant. Eat first, shower and then get some rest. You need to send me to campus tomorrow." Krystal said before she went to hang her towel.

"Wait a minute. I thought you were supposed to sleep over at the dorm tonight? Were you already at my apartment when you called earlier?" I asked as I saw Krystal nodding her head. "Did you miss me already?"

Krystal rolled her eyes at me before she went to lie down on the bed as I thanked her for the food.