Chapter 73

Hard But Easy

I smiled sincerely before I released my hand from the handshake. "Thank you for agreeing to meet me up, even at such a short notice."

"It's okay. I'm free anyway." Jihyun returned a smile as I gestured her to take a seat.

Ms Jeon handed over a folder to me before giving her another folder. I told her that I had went through the proposal that she had sent to me just before lunch and had a few enquiries about it.

"Did you skip lunch to go through this? Oh my god. I should not have sent it to you if I knew that you would do so." Jihyun apologised as I told her that it was fine since I did had my lunch.

"Sandwiches and coffee would be enough for me." I replied as she teased me about trying to keep fit by eating light. "Luckily, I'm free after 4pm to schedule this meeting. This proposal had really perked up my interest and I have a good feeling about it."

"I knew that you would be interested in this proposal which is why I decided to contact you as soon as I received it. Even when I went through it, I feel like it's going to benefit your company and also mine." Jihyun giggled at her own words as I nodded my head.

Ms Jeon did pointed out to me when I went through the proposal with her earlier during lunch that Jihyun was doing this because it was beneficial to her company. I told my secretary that at the end of the day, business would always be about making profits for their ownselves. Even though Jihyun said that it would benefit our company, I had a feeling that she would not proceed with it if it didn't bring any benefits to her company too.

Ms Jeon left us momentarily to prepare some drinks and snacks for us so Jihyun and I continued to discuss about the proposal. An hour later, my phone vibrated on the table, causing both of us to break our attention from the discussion. Krystal's photo appeared on the screen as I excused myself to answer the call.

"Hello."

"Are you already on your way here?" Krystal's voice sounded chirpy as I stole a quick glance at my watch which showed that it was already 5.15pm.

"Krystal-ah...I'm sorry. I'm still in my office."

"Really?" She sounded surprised to find out. "You promised to meet me after work last night so I thought that you would be here as soon as possible."

My eyes widened a little when I remembered about my promise to her. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Something came up at the last minute. I'll try to end this meeting as soon as possible, okay?"

"Meeting? You're still having a meeting at this hour? Is it an important meeting?" Krystal asked, her voice changed into a worried tone.

I was about to tell her about the on-going discussion with Jihyun when I paused. I remembered how Krystal had reacted to Jihyun's appearance during Tayeon's wedding and how she wasn't that happy when I helped her out during that time when her car broke down. Contemplating if I should tell her the truth, I didn't realised that I had been quiet while Krystal waited for my answer.

"Hello? Are you still there?"

I blinked my eyes rapidly when I heard her voice before apologising for keeping quiet. I told her that the on-going meeting was something that might be beneficial for the company which was why I needed to go through it even if it's already after working hours.

"If it's something that is going to benefit the company, then you should give your full concentration to it. Just keep me updated once you're done with it. Arraseo?" 

Guilt was starting to creep inside me so before Krystal ended the call, I decided to come clean with her. "Krystal-ah, the meeting that I'm having is with Jihyun. She's the one who had brought the proposal for me to look through."

"Jihyun? She's the airline CEO, right?" Krystal tried to verify as I acknowledged and nodded my head even though she couldn't see me. "Why didn't you just say so in the first place? Were you afraid that I'll be unhappy to know?"

I let out a sigh and admitted to her my reason for not informing her. I was surprised when Krystal asked if I thought that she was such a petty person. I could sense the change in her tone of voice again but instead of the angry tone that I was expecting, it sounded like she was disappointed.

"I know I've not had a good first impression of her and I've acted childishly because of my jealousy but don't you think I deserve better credit than that? This whole meeting concerns your company. Do you think I'm going to let my emotions cause you more problems than what you're facing now?" Krystal let out a heavy sigh. "Let me be honest with you. I'm feeling disappointed right now. But we'll talk again later. You should go back to settle the meeting. Take care."

Before I could say anything, Krystal had already ended the call as I stared at my phone with a blank mind. Taking a deep breathe, I made my way back into the meeting room with a heavy heart.

"Is everything okay? You looked troubled. Problems with your girlfriend?" Jihyun asked as I just gave her a small smile, shook my head and told her that we should continue our discussion. "Are you sure you're up for it? We can do this another time."

"It's okay. Everything is fine." I tried to assure her as Jihyun looked at me skeptically. "Really."

She raised both her hands up before smiling at me as I flipped the pages of the folder to continue our discussion.

************************

"How come you're not getting ready? I thought you're going out with Eunjin." 

Krystal turned to her side to face her sister before letting out a sigh. Jessica noticed it and quickly scooted beside her on the couch at the living room.

"What's wrong, baby Sis? Is something bothering you?"

"Unnie, how do you know Yuri-unnie is the one for you? The one whom you will settle down with." 

Krystal's question caused Jessica to frown as she folded her arms and stared at her. Jessica asked if something had happened between Krystal and Eunjin but her sister shook her head.

"Then what's with the sudden question? You're scaring me."

"I was just thinking. That's all."

The two of them sat in silence until they heard the door bell. Jessica went to open the door and she came back with Yuri walking behind her.

"Hi, Krystal. Waiting for Eunjin? I think she might be a bit late. I saw her bike when I was leaving the company's carpark." Yuri informed before taking a seat on one of the chairs.

"She's still there. Having a meeting with Ms Kang."

Krystal's reply surprised Yuri and Jessica as they noticed the flat tone of voice. Jessica mouthed the word 'Eunjin' before shrugging her shoulders.

"It's already after office hours, why would she still be having a meeting?" Yuri had a confused look as Krystal informed them about the phone conversation that she had with Eunjin earlier. "Ooouhhhh... if it's something beneficial to the company, I can understand why Eunjin would be keen to get things done."

"But why didn't she just say it straight to me about that CEO? Why waited until I was about to put down the phone then she metioned her name? Am I such a petty person?" Krystal let out her frustration.

"Maybe she's just too stressed out at the moment. Don't take it to heart, okay. As your sister-in-law, I'll make sure to scold her later. I'm sure she didn't mean it in a bad way." Yuri tried to console Krystal before silently signalling to Jessica to pacify her sister too. 

"Why don't you follow us out for shopping and Eunjin can join us for dinner later? Appa and Omma will be joining us for dinner too, after they are done with their check-ups at the hospital. It's better than lazing around at home alone." Jessica suggested as Krystal seemed to be contemplating.

"I'll go and get ready then." 

Yuri watched as Krystal stood up and made her way to her room before a  loud smacking sound was heard. Yuri was about to shout in pain but Jessica had covered with her left hand after she used her right hand to smack Yuri on her shoulders.

"Look at what your best friend has done to my sister. Better leave her a message to get herself prepared for HellSica."

Yuri could only sighed and took out her phone to leave Eunjin a message.

(Meanwhile, back at the office)

I was already packing up my stuff when I felt a vibration in my pocket. Taking it out, I saw that it was a message from Yuri.

Yah... Are you done with the meeting? Just for your info, HellSica is coming. - Yuri

'HellSica? How did Yuri know about my meeting? Don't tell me Krystal told them about our talk just now?'

Questions after questions came into my mind as I let out a sigh. I had just finished the meeting with Jihyun and even though it's almost agreed on, there was some minor things that I would need to sort out first, including consulting Harabeoji. That thought itself was already dampening my mood as I've not been on talking terms with Harabeoji ever since he found out that Yuri's wedding would proceed as plan and that I would be attending it too.

"HellSica is coming?" I re-read the message and frowned. "Is Sica coming to my office?"

I didn't have to wait long for an answer when another message was received and this time round, it was from Krystal.

I'm going out for a while with Sica-unnie and Yuri-unnie. Maybe do some shopping. They suggested for you to meet us up for dinner later since I told them that you're still having a meeting at work. Appa and Omma will be joining us too. - Krystal

"No wonder Yuri said that HellSica was coming." I let out another sigh as I remembered how Krystal admitted to being disappointed with me. "Guess she must have let out her feelings to her sister. I wished I had a sibling too."

I grumbled to myself as I took my bag and walked towards the lift. It was already 6.15pm when I reached my bike as I typed a reply to Krystal.

Since you're out with your Unnie and Yuri, I'll go back to take a shower first before meeting you for dinner. Text me the address, okay. - Eunjin

***********************

"Sica-yah, I don't think Eunjin meant any harm." Yuri said as her girlfriend folded her arms and glared at her. "You should remember how Krystal reacted during Taeyeon's and Tiffany's wedding when she saw Ms Kang. Obviously, Eunjin is afraid that Krystal won't be happy to find out that she's staying back at work with the same person. Which is why I believe she held back her words. But then again, Eunjin did informed her anyway."

"So you think that my sister is petty too?" Jessica questioned Yuri who shook her head immediately.

"I'm not saying that and I think Eunjin doesn't think that way too. She's going through a lot of stress lately and was trying to avoid additional conflicts." Yuri let out a sigh as her eyes kept looking towards the changing room where Krystal was trying out a few dresses.

Ever since the 3 of them left the apartment, Jessica had been giving Yuri the cold glares whenever the car stopped at a red light. When they were at the mall, Jessica would purposely walked beside Krystal by locking arms with her sister and leaving Yuri walking alone behind. The moment Krystal decided to try on some dresses, Jessica took the opportunity to nag to Yuri about her best friend.

"Why are you siding with your best friend, anyway? Soojung is your sister-in-law. Shouldn't you be on her side?" Jessica questioned Yuri again.

"Krystal already has you by her side. Who does Eunjin have?" Yuri threw back a question which left Jessica a little stunned. "Try to put yourself in Eunjin's shoes. I know what she did was not totally the right thing but she's not totally wrong too."

Without them knowing, Krystal had been listening from behind the changing room door. She bit her lips and suddenly felt guilty for telling her sister about the phone conversation with Eunjin. 

"Is Unnie going to scold Eunjin later? She seemed really upset with Eunjin right now. More upset than I should be." Krystal let out a sigh as she gathered the dresses that she had tried on. "Now I feel bad for Eunjin. I hope Unnie is not going to be harsh on her."

Eunjin's POV

I could sense the glares that Jessica had been giving me since I arrived at the buffet restaurant. I knew she had wanted to say something to me the moment I sat down but she was interrupted. Firstly by the presence of the waiter and secondly was because her parents had arrived soon after. I had a short chat with Appa Jung and Omma Jung before Yuri excused herself to get food from the buffet. Luckily for me, she took Jessica along with her.

"So, Eunjin. How's everything at work?" Appa Jung asked as I told him that I'm still trying to sort things out. "You do know that you can come to me if you need any help, right?"

I nodded my head and thanked him for that. "I had a meeting with one of my business partner earlier, who had came with a proposal which might help the company. Obviously, it's not a total recovery but I'm still looking through it. Hopefully, I can at least reduce the monetary burden on my staffs. I will need to consult my grandfather about it."

"Why don't you just seek help from Appa since he's already willing to do so?" Krystal asked as I chuckled nervously while stealing glances at Appa Jung.

"I'm trying my best to settle things without being a burden to anyone. We will see how things go." I could only smile at her before turning away. "Appa, Omma. Why don't both of you go and take a look at the food? Me and Krystal will take care of our belongings here."

The elderly couple nodded their heads and left the table soon. Once they were out of sight, I turned to face Krystal and asked if she had told Yuri and her sister about my meeting with Jihyun. She nodded her head as I let out a sigh.

"Your sister seemed to be unhappy with me. She's been glaring at me since I entered the restaurant. Yuri even texted me to prepare for HellSica." I paused and turned my body away. "I know you're disappointed with me for not telling you the truth right from the start but I didn't hide it from you either, right? And what's with asking me to seek Appa's help when you already knew that I don't like to trouble others?"

I noticed Krystal biting her lips, looking a little guilty. She was about to say something when Jessica appeared and sat down directly in front of me, which was supposed to be Yuri's seat.

"You." She pointed a finger at me with her glaring eyes. "Did you think my sister is a petty person?"

Before I could reply to her question, she started to nag at me. About being honest to each other, about not keeping secrets from one another and about how Krystal was not a petty person.

I looked down at my plate with both my hands clasped under the table while listening to Jessica. Once a while, I would nod or shake my head according to the questions that Jessica asked of me. The talk was only about 10mins but it felt like an hour to me.

"Sica."

A stern voice interrupted her as the 3 of us turned to face a frowning Yuri. From that look in her face, I knew that Yuri was a little pissed off. She pushed the food trolley to the table and started to distribute the plates of food that was on it. 

"Eunjin, follow me. I need to get the drinks." Yuri's tone of voice was commanding and flat, with little emotion as I quickly stood up before following her from behind.

The two of us were standing in front of the water dispenser for 5 seconds before I heard Yuri letting out a sigh.

"Gwenchana?" She asked before turning to face me. "I'm sorry if Sica was giving you a hard time."

"It's okay. She cares for her sister." I replied, giving Yuri a small smile before grabbing an empty glass.

"You know you can't lie to me, right? It's okay if you're not fine. Even I won't be happy to be nagged at. I know she cares for her sister but there was no need to be so defensive." Yuri patted my shoulder before letting out another sigh. "How did the meeting go?"

"So far, everything seems okay but I can't finalise anything yet before consulting Harabeoji." I replied and it was my turn to let out a sigh.

"Still not on talking terms?" 

I shook my head as Yuri gave me another pat on the shoulder. She's the only one who knew about my current situation with Harabeoji because I had no choice but to tell her that Harabeoji and Halmeoni might not be attending her wedding. Yuri understood the situation and also informed me that I didn't have to feel pressurised about attending her wedding but I shove it off.

"Sometimes I really don't understand your Harabeoji. One day, he's okay with your decision but the next day, he would be unhappy about it. Does he have alzheimer or is it just his character?" Yuri mumbled on as I just kept quiet. "I know it's been tough on you lately. That's why I'm on your side this time round. I'm a good sister-in-law, right?"

Yuri elbowed me lightly as both of us chuckled. She reminded me to talk things out with Krystal and not to worry about Jessica since she's going to take care of that. 

We carried the drinks back to the table and I noticed that Jessica had sat back at her original seat which was opposite of Krystal. She didn't try to glare at me anymore after that. I was not sure if it was because Appa Jung and Omma Jung were there or because of Yuri's stern voice earlier. Even Krystal became quiet.

************************

I had just entered my office when I felt a vibration in my pocket. It was a message from Krystal, asking me if I had reached. After typing a reply to her, I took a seat and rearranged the stuff on my table.

Another message from Krystal arrived as I looked at it.

Don't forget to eat your breakfast. - Krystal

I was about to type another reply when another message arrived.

I'll be going back to Unnie's apartment today since Appa and Omma will be flying to LA to bring Grandma over for the wedding. - Krystal

The sound of the lift distracted my attention as I looked up to see Ms Jeon approaching the table with a stack of files. She briefed me about my schedules for the day and reminded me that I'm supposed to go for my rounds today.

"Have you had your breakfast yet, Ms Han?"

I shook my head and grinned when I saw Ms Jeon shaking her head at me. She went to the pantry and prepared a cup of coffee for me before telling me that she would be back with some cakes and breads later. 

By the time I returned to look at my phone, there were 3 more messages from Krystal.

Appa will drop me off at Unnie's place before they make their way to the airport. - Krystal

Unnie will be at work and I'll be alone at her apartment. - Krystal

Are you busy at the moment? Or are you still angry at me? - Krystal

I let out a sigh and continued to stare at my phone. Ms Jeon returned with a plate of cakes and breads before placing it on my table.

"Are you okay, Ms Han?" She asked as I nodded my head before telling her that I'll start my rounds once I'm done with breakfast. "You're starting early?"

"Since I don't have any meetings after 3pm today, I'm thinking of going off from work early. Krystal's back here. I should spend more time with her. She'll be busy by next week to help her sister out with the wedding so I might not be able to meet her then. I'll start the round at 10am." I explained as Ms Jeon nodded her head.

"I'll prepare the paperwork for your rounds later and come back at 10am." Ms Jeon said before taking her leave.

I was about to grab my phone to reply to Krystal when the office phone rang. It was a surprise call from Uncle Park who was checking on me. We chatted while I ate my breakfast and when it ended, it was almost time for my rounds.

Sorry for the late reply. I've eaten my breakfast and will be going for my rounds soon. I'll finish work at 3pm and will come over to fetch you. Let's go out and watch a movie together. p/s: I'm not angry with you. - Eunjin

I ended my rounds 5mins before lunch time. Ms Jeon asked if I wanted her to get any packed food but I declined her offer. After telling her to enjoy her lunch, Ms Jeon left the office. I made my way to the pantry area and grabbed a can of drink before making my way to my desk.

Clearing some outstanding emails and going through documents that needed my approval was something that I would do daily. But even after doing the same thing for a few months, I still couldn't get use to it. Which resulted in me being sleepy. Since I had 30 mins more before lunch ended, I decided to take a quick nap after setting the alarm on my phone.

Krystal's POV

"Thanks for sending me, Appa. Take care, both of you. Send my regards to Grandma." 

I waved at my parents and watched as the car drove off before turning around. Staring at the tall building in front of me, a smile appeared on my face. I made my way into the lobby area and was greeted by the receptionist who looked surprised to see me. I was about to continue my way to the lift when I heard someone calling my name.

"Krystal?"

I smiled at the person, who was making her way towards me, before I gave her a hug. "How are you, Unnie? Did you went out for lunch? Did Eunjin went out too?"

Ms Jeon shook her head and chuckled at me. "It's obvious you came here without informing your girlfriend. She should be in her office. She rarely goes out for lunch."

"She's not been eating?" 

"Usually she would ask me to pack food for her but not today. Maybe it's because she's going off early to spend time with you." Ms Jeon smiled as we continued our way to the lift. "I suspect Ms Han will be sleeping at this moment. I've caught her napping during lunch hours, a few times already. That poor kid must be having trouble sleeping at night, with everything that is going on right now. Sometimes I feel that she regretted agreeing to take over the company from her grandfather."

Ms Jeon words instantly reminded me of what Kate had told me before. About how Eunjin seemed happier in those photos of her taken when she was still working at the workshop.

'Maybe I should ask her about it.' I told myself as I watched the lift door closing.