Chapter 10

Hard But Easy

"Yeobo!! Be careful!! Watch out!!"

A screeching sound was heard as I gripped the seat in front. I was lucky that I had my seat belt on but even so, my body could still sway from left to right as I watched how the car flipped before I heard the sound of breaking glass. Closing my eyes shut as tears trickled down my cheeks, I could only pray in silent.

KABOOM!!!

"OMMA!! APPA!!"

I screamed as I jerked upwards with eyes wide opened. Looking around, I realised that I was in my own apartment and alone on my bed. Beads of sweat had formed on my forehead as I felt the rapid movement of my chest due to my irregular breathing. There was tears on my cheeks as I rubbed my whole face.

"It's been a while since I last had that dream."

I mumbled to myself as I stood up and walked to the kitchen to grab two blue pills from a small bottle and swallowed them. After drinking a glass of water, my breathing stabilised so I made my way back to the edge of my bed and sat down. Taking my phone from the side table, I pressed the number one on my speed dial.

"Hello? Doctor Ahn?.... It's me, Eunjin.... Sorry to call you up so late. Are you free tomorrow?.." I paused as the other person on the other line asked me to wait for a while. "The dream is back again... It's already the 3rd night in a row..... Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then. Thanks a lot, Doctor."

I hung up the phone and looked at the watch. It was 11pm as I sat up straight and leaned back against the wall. I knew I won't be able to get back to sleep any soon so I decided to watch some movies from my phone.

A few hours later, I rode into the workshop and turned off the engine after I had parked my bike at the corner. I noticed that Yuri and Taeyeon had not reported for work since their cars were not there so I made my way to the office where Chorong was already seated.

"Morning, Chorong." I smiled to the young girl. "Has Sunny arrived?"

"Yes. Ms Lee is in her office." Chorong replied as I about calling Sunny in a formal way when I knew that both of them would call each other by their names after working hours.

"I'll go in and see her for a while." I said as Chorong nodded her head while I made my way towards Sunny's office door.

Knocking on the door, I heard Sunny's voice asking the person to enter. I poked my head through the gap and grinned at her.

"What's with that grin?" Sunny asked as she gestured me to come nearer. "You want to go off early, is it?"

"How did you know?" I frowned a little as I sat down in front of her.

"The only time that either one of you will come in to see me with a stupid grin is when you want to report off early. Taeyeon and Yuri must be teaching you all the wrong things." Sunny replied as I nodded my head. "What time do you......?"

Our conversation was interrupted by a phone call as Sunny excused herself to answer the call. It seems that it was a private call so Sunny had to stand up and walked to another corner of the room. Seeing how she was whispering and was trying so hard to ensure that I was not able to hear the conversation, I decided to leave the room to give her some space.

By the time I had walked back to the workshop, Taeyeon was already there as she greeted me. I looked around and heard Taeyeon chuckling.

"I think Yuri will be late again. She's always late on a Monday. Must have gone back late last night after partying hard." Taeyeon said and just at that moment, Yuri's car entered the workshop. "Speaking of the devil."

Both of us chuckled and went off to prepare our working tools as we heard Yuri's car opening.

"Aigoo, I feel so tired even before working." Yuri stretched out her arms and walked up to us. "Maybe I should report off work early today to catch up on my sleep."

"But I was thinking of..." Before I could informed Yuri about my plans, Sunny walked into the workshop and intercepted my sentence.

"Eunjin, what time do you want to report off?" She asked as Taeyeon and Yuri looked at Sunny before turning to look at me.

"You're reporting off early?" Taeyeon asked as I nodded my head.

"Going on a date?" Yuri asked with a smirk as I rolled my eyes at her.

"I've got a doctor's appointment." I answered, causing the curious looks on Yuri, Taeyeon and Sunny to appear.

Yuri grabbed my left arm while Taeyeon grabbed the right one as they pulled me to sit on one of the benches. Sunny then joined us as all 3 of them looked straight at me.

"Why are you seeing a doctor?"

"Are you sick?"

"Is there something that you're hiding from us?"

The 3 of them took turns to ask me a question as I told them that I had been having nightmares for 3 consecutive nights.

"The doctor that I'm visiting is the one who have been taking care of my amaxophobia since I returned to Seoul. The nightmares that I had been having has got to do with the fatal accident. I kept replaying what happened on that day in my dreams. It's been a few years since I last had that dreams which is why I need to visit Doctor Ahn for consultation." I explained in details as they listened attentively.

"Oh yah.. You've yet to tell us what happened during the accident." Taeyeon suddenly blurted out as I let a deep sigh.

"Was it that bad?" Yuri asked as I stayed silent. "I mean.. I know it was fatal but..."

Silence filled the air as I looked down and just stared at the ground. For the next few seconds, no one said anything until Sunny stood up and patted my back.

"Like what Aunt Kwon said before, take your time. It must have been a very traumatising moment for you, especially when it happened to you at a very young age. We'll be here for you whenever you're ready. Anyway, what time do you want to go off?" Sunny asked as I told her that I'll be leaving at 4pm.

Sunny nodded her head and was about to walk away when Yuri suddenly raised her hand.

"It is okay if I took off early too?" Sunny was about to reject when Yuri continued. "If it's okay with Eunjin, I would like to accompany her to the appointment."

I saw the sincere look in Yuri's eyes. I've never had anyone accompanying me whenever I went for consultation. I did used to have Halmeoni who would send me to the hospital during the early stages when I had just returned to Seoul. But after I turned 16, I was left to handle a lot of things by myself.

"If Eunjin allows, then you can follow her." Sunny gave the instructions as Yuri looked at me, who finally nodded my head. "In that case, we'll close the workshop at 4pm today. Let's all go and accompany Eunjin."

************************

"You've been doing all this by yourself?" Yuri couldn't hide her tears as Sunny rubbed her back while Taeyeon had a stone expression. "I'm... sorry, Eunjin-ah. We should have gone to look for you after what happened to your parents."

Yuri's words caused me to swallow a lump down my throat. I took a deep breathe as I walked up to Yuri and hugged her. "Gwenchana. I'm okay."

The 4 of us were at the hospital's carpark when Yuri suddenly stopped walking, just a few metres from her car. They had all followed me for my appointment and that was when they found out about it. The fact that I've been struggling and managing my illness all by myself, thanks to what Doctor Ahn had informed them earlier. The one that seemed to be badly affected by it was Yuri.

(Flashback about 3hrs ago)

"Wow." I saw the surprised look on Doctor Ahn's face as I walked into her office, followed by Yuri, Taeyeon and Sunny.

"Sorry, Doctor. I brought some friends along. Is it okay?" I asked with uncertainty.

"Of course, it's okay. It's more than okay. It's always better to have friends or relative around with you when you go through this kind of therapy. They will be a source of support for you. Even though I know how well you could do it by yourself." Doctor Ahn said as she patted the reclining chair beside her while gesturing to Yuri, Taeyeon and Sunny to sit down at a couch nearby. "So, is this your first time here?"

Doctor Ahn turned to face the 3 girls, who then nodded their heads. She smiled as she started to my left arm slowly before she injected me and placed some wirings on my pulse points.

"Eunjin has never brought anyone along with her everytime she came for consultation. Her Halmeoni used to bring her here though, when she was much younger. Mrs Han was the one who hired me to take care of her so I had done so for the past 10yrs. Eunjin seemed to have made some progress over the years so I was surprised when she called me last night to make an appointment. How long ago was your last consultation?" Doctor Ahn turned back to look at me.

"About 9months ago." I replied with an almost drowsy tone. I knew the injection to induce sleep was starting to take effect as my eyes became heavier.

"Doctor, may I ask how was her condition back then?" I heard Yuri asking as I tried my best to stay awake.

"I met Eunjin for the first time when she was 14yrs old. Her Halmeoni told me about her condition during our flight to Tokyo and also about what happened to her parents. When we arrived, we arranged a meet up with the Japanese doctor that diagnosed her with amaxophobia. I learned more about her and at that time, I honestly couldn't imagined what she had gone through for the past 4 yrs before I came. Imagine having to cope with your phobia at a very young age, with an ailing grandmother who couldn't afford any further treatments." Doctor Ahn paused as she turned to me and told me to relax and close my eyes.

Yuri's POV

I noticed Eunjin, slowly closing her eyes as instructed by Doctor Ahn. There were a few wirings attached on her arms with the other end attached to a monitor on Doctor Ahn's table. I saw the doctor Eunjin's hair slowly before she turned to face us again.

"She's almost into dreamland so we need to lower down our tone of voice when we talk." She half-whispered to us as we nodded our heads. "Eunjin is like a daughter to me."

I noticed the heavy-hearted sigh that came out from Doctor's Ahn as I raised my hand to ask a question.

"Why do you need her to sleep and what was that injection for earlier?"

"I believe that all of you knew her condition, right?" Doctor Ahn asked as we nodded our heads. "It was an injection to induce sleep. I need her to sleep so that I can find out more about her dream. It's one type of treatment for her condition. Because her fears can only be seen when she's in a vehicle or an enclosed area, it's quite difficult to monitor her condition without those situations. Sleep is one way to find out any suppress fears that she had been holding in because that is the only time when you don't have much control over your body."

"She has suppress fears?" Sunny asked.

"She might have. After taking care of Eunjin for so long, I can roughly know her character. She's someone, who keeps a lot of emotions to herself. I can understand why though. Losing your parents and having to travel to another country to adapt to a new place is not something that is suitable for a 10 yr old kid. Furthermore, she had to take care of her ailing grandmother while trying to cope with her phobia. Even though she had family around her, she's actually very lonely. That is when she learned to be independant and started to keep all her emotions inside without relying on anyone else." There was an obvious sadness in Doctor Ahn's voice.

"She had family with her?" Taeyeon had a confused look on her face as she scratched her head.

"Yah, pabo. Doctor Ahn is referring to her grandmother who is her family." I gritted my teeth at Taeyeon's blunder.

"And also her halmeoni and harabeoji." Doctor Ahn added on."Even though I know both of them are not always there for her."

"They were never there for her. They hated her." I said with a tint of anger but I saw Doctor Ahn shaking her head.

"Her Halmeoni loves her but she can't go against her husband. Mr Han is a strict man but respected by others. Most of his workers looked up to him. So when his only son went against him, he felt hurt and disappointed. But I myself, don't agree with his extreme hateness towards his own flesh and blood." Once again, Doctor Ahn sighed.

Sunny was about to ask a question when we were alerted by some movements from Eunjin. It was obvious that she was sleeping but her body was shifting sideways as if she was being shaken with force.

"The dream is back." Doctor Ahn commented as the 3 of us looked at her. "She's experiencing what happened during the car accident with her parents."

I turned back to look at Eunjin who had a deep frown on her face as tears rapidly trickled down her cheeks. She seemed to be going through a lot of pain and fear. 'What really happened that day?' I thought to myself as I felt a tight pain in my heart as if someone was clenching it. I was shocked when Eunjin suddenly shouted and sprung up from her lying position. I could never forget the extreme fear that I saw in her eyes when she woke up.

(End of flashback)

I was surprised when Yuri started crying after I hugged her. I was not aware of the conversation that the girls had with Doctor Ahn because by the time I woke up from the sleep, the 3 of them became speechless. They continued to observe in silence throughtout the rest of the therapy treatment that Doctor Ahn had given me.

"Hey, why are you crying? Is it because of the therapy?" I asked as Yuri continued to sob on my shoulders. I looked towards Taeyeon and Sunny but both of them just shrugged their shoulders. "Yuri, if you continue crying, I won't allow you to follow me to any consultation in the future."

The sobbing automatically stopped as Yuri lifted her head off my shoulders and rubbed her face with her hands. Five seconds later, she removed her hands and gave me a small smile before grinning dorkily.

"Let's go back to my house." She suddenly suggested even though it sounded more like an order.

************************

Dinner was delicious since Aunt Kwon was a good cook. Yoona even claimed that she's the only one among the siblings who could cook as well as their mother. Obviously, Yuri and Seohyun didn't agree to her claims. Sooyoung also came over after appointing Victoria to take charge of the cafe closing accounts for the night.

Everyone had a great time, chatting and joking around. I was mesmerised by the way Sooyoung and Yoona ate their dinner. Both of them were truly shikshins as they ate 4 bowls of rice each. I even wondered if the food would be enough for everyone but Aunt Kwon seemed to be able to read my thoughts when she said that there was enough for everyone.

After dinner, most of us left for the living room except for Aunt Kwon and Seohyun, who had volunteered to help her mum to clean up the table and the dishes. Uncle Kwon suggested for us to watch a movie and everyone was agreeable to it. We were watching the movie halfway when I felt a vibration from my jean's pocket. Excusing myself, I walked to the kitchen to answer the call.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Halmeoni." I answered the person after I saw the name that appeared on my phone screen.

"Eunjin, my child. How have you been doing?" Her voice was soft and warm as I replied that I was doing fine. "Are you outside? Why is there so much noise in the background?"

"It's not that, Halmeoni. I'm currently at a friend's house and they're watching an action movie so that's why it's a bit noisy. Their home theatre system is very good that even when I'm standing in the kitchen, I can still hear it." I explained as Halmeoni chuckled at my explanation.

"When are you coming to visit us? Harabeoji keeps asking about you." I remained in silent for the next few seconds before Halmeoni continued talking. "I know you probably dislike him but please do Halmeoni a favour and come, will you?"

"Halmeoni, I'll come over but give me some time." I replied as I heard a sigh on the other end.

"Doctor Ahn informed me that you went to visit her earlier today. She said that you might be having a little relapse. Why are you driving when you should know your own condition better? You shouldn't even be working in that small workshop anyway. There's a better position waiting for you in your Harabeoji's office."

"Halmeoni, I thought we've dicussed this over before. I didn't use any of Harabeoji's money to further my studies. I used the insurance money from the accident and even worked part time to finish up my studies until my Masters. There's no reason for me to work under him." I replied with a firm tone.

"Arraseo, arraseo. I understand. I'm just worried about you. You're all by yourself."

I could hear the sad tone in Halmeoni's voice. I knew that she has always been worried about me ever since I returned back to Seoul. If she had a choice, she would have wanted me to stay with her. On and off, Halmeoni would message me to check on my well-being.

"Mianhae, Halmeoni. For making you worried." I replied in a softer tone. "But I'm happy working there. Furthermore, Doctor Ahn even encouraged me to drive more often so that I can overcome my phobia. But she advise me to do it slowly and not rush into it."

Halmeoni and I continued to chat for a few more minutes before we ended the conversation. Just as I was making my way back to the living room, I head a loud explosion which shocked me instantly.

"AARRRGGHHHH!!!!"

I dropped to the floor just outside the kitchen area, catching everyone's attention as they rushed to my side. Uncle Kwon paused the movie while Seohyun rubbed my back as I tried to calm myself down. My eyes were blinking rapidly as it was fixed to the big tv screen which was showing a burning car. Automatically, tears trickled down my cheeks as I quickly looked down.

"Omma.. Appa.." I mumbled in between my sobs.

Silence filled the living room as everyone was left confused with my reactions until Aunt Kwon came with a glass of water.

"Eunjin-ah. My poor child." She rubbed my head as I looked up and saw her warm pair of eyes. "Drink this water to calm yourself down. Everything will be okay, my child. We're here for you."

"Is everything okay, Eunjin?" Seohyun asked as I nodded my head and observed how everyone was looking very worried at me.

"I think it's time that I explained what happened during the car accident. Can all of us gather back at the living room?" I requested as everyone made their way back and got themselves settled in. Taking a deep breathe, I paused for a moment before I started narrating.

"As everyone had known, my parents were killed in a fatal accident when I was 10yrs old. It was raining during that fateful afternoon. Appa was driving with Omma beside him. I was seated at the back. We had just finished having our lunch together and were on our way back home. The road was a little more slippery than usual so Appa drove slower. Everything seemed like a normal routine to us. We chatted, joked and teased each other while in the car but everything changed when Appa was making a right turn. Out of nowhere, a white dog dashes across and forced Appa to step on his brake. Since it was too sudden, the car started to spin around on the slippery road before it hit something and flipped. By the time the car flipped, my eyes were already closed tight. I was too scared of my surrounding as I kept hearing the sound of breaking glass." I paused for a while as I clasped both my hands tightly when I was reminded of what happened.

(Flashback 14yrs ago)

I didn't hear any more breaking glass sound as I slowly opened my eyes. The car had flipped over but what made me cry louder was when I saw the motionless figure of my parents. There was blood on some parts of their body as I tried to reach out to them. Unbuckling my seat belt which I had so much difficulty doing so due to the awkward position that I was in, I noticed a slight movement from Appa's hand.

"Eunjin-ah." His voice was coarse and it sounded like he was in a a lot of pain. "Are you okay back there? Don't cry, my child."

"Appa." I tried to reach out to him when I saw the blood on my arm but I ignored it. "Appa, gwenchana?"

He turned behind and I gasped when I saw his bloodied face. He must have hit his head somewhere, causing the blood to flow down. Appa smiled a little at me.

"Can you move?" He asked as I tried to wriggle my body before nodding my head. "Good. I want you to slowly crawl to the front and climb out from my door."

I saw Appa trying his best to push his door and after a few tries, he managed to open it. He gestured me to move forward. I was about to turn my head to look at Omma when Appa grabbed my cheeks.

"Don't look, Eunjin. Just remember Omma just like how you've always seen her." I stared into Appa's eyes as I bite my lips and nodded my head.

(End of flashback)

"I didn't realise that at that moment, Omma was no longer around. From what Halmeoni told me, based on autopsy, a broken glass had slit across Omma's throat when the car flipped." I heard gasps from the girls as some of them covered their mouth. "After I climbed out from the car, I turned around and expected Appa to follow me but he shouted, asking me to run far away from the car. I didn't move at first but he continued shouting at me so I started running until....... Kaboom!!!"

Everyone was taken aback when they heard me imitating the sound of a loud explosion as Seohyun and Yoona started crying. Sooyoung and Yuri quickly comforted the two girls while Sunny and Taeyeon were holding back their tears.

"I dropped to the ground in shock as I turned around slowly. All I saw was something like that." I pointed to the tv screen where it had paused at the scene of the burning car.