Chapter 1

Hard But Easy

"Excuse me?"

I smiled at the girl, who was busy typing away on her computer. She looked up and returned a smile.

"Hi, how can I help you, Miss?" She asked as I blinked my eyes before showing her the paper that was neatly folded in my hand. "That's our pamphlet."

"Yes. It says that you're hiring a mechanic. Is the job still available?" I asked, hoping that it was.

"We did have some others who had came by to apply but our boss hasn't made her decision yet. Why don't you fill up the application form first while I go and inform my boss." The girl, Chorong as stated on her name tag, handed me a piece of paper and a pen before she stood up and walked to a door behind her.

20mins later, I was already seated in the main office room where the boss was seated opposite of me. The name, Sunny Lee, was clearly engraved on the nameplate in front of me. Ms Lee was looking through the application form that I had filled up earlier.

"Han Eun Jin?" The young lady looked up at me as I bowed my head a little at her. "Don't you think you're over-qualified for this position? I'm looking for a normal mechanic but you have a Master Degree in Automotive Engineering. You should be working in one of those top company like Hyundai or Kia Motors. In a proper office. My workshop is just a small company. Furthermore, you'll be dealing with engines. Oil and grease."

"Ms Lee, I can assure you that I'm good with my hands." I replied too quickly as my eyes widened when I saw the blush in Ms Lee's cheeks. "I... I'm.. I'm sorry. I mean I don't mind getting dirty."

It was Ms Lee's turn to have her eyes wide opened at my words as I started to panic and kept blinking my eyes while scratching the back of my head. I didn't know why I stood up suddenly and started to bow down repeatedly.

"I'm sorry, Ms Lee. I didn't mean to be rude with my words. I.. I.. I was just trying... I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

I heard a small chuckle before it ballooned into a loud laughter. I looked up and saw that Ms Lee was laughing while trying to cover . She noticed me looking at her, causing her to stop laughing and calm herself down.

"Eunjin. It's okay. You can stop bowing. And please call me Sunny. I'm just a year older than you." Sunny said as I looked at her with a disbelief expression. "Wae?"

"You're just a year older than me?" I asked, causing Sunny to frown and pout.

"Do I look older than what I said I was?" Sunny asked as I quickly shook my head.

"That's not what I meant. I mean, you're only a year older than me but you've already owned a workshop with workers under you. That's amazing. I find it cool actually." I explained myself as Sunny just smiled. "I was actually expecting an ahjussi for a boss."

"This workshop actually belongs to my Dad. I took over from him 2yrs ago after I finished my degree. He has another workshop to take care of." Sunny explained as I just nodded my head. "Like I said earlier, I think you're over-qualified for this job. Your education level is even higher than me and with that master degree, I'll have to offer you a higher salary. I might have to reject your application."

"But Ms Lee... I don't mind receiving the same pay as a normal mechanic. I just need this job." I tried to convince her.

"You can always get a better job elsewhere, Eunjin. With a much higher pay and you don't even need to get your hands dirty." Sunny didn't really understood why I was very stubborn about getting this job.

"I just want to be like my Dad." I mumbled before sighing as I ran out of sentence to express my desire.

"Lee Soonkyu!!! Are you going out for..... lunch?" Another short girl appeared at the office door abruptly and was surprised when she saw that there was someone else in the room. "Ooooppsss... Sorry. I didn't know that you had a guest. I'll wait for you outside then."

After the door was closed, I turned to face Sunny and stood up. "I won't hold you up but please consider my application. I'm even willing to work here for a week with no payment so that you can evaluate me. Just give me a chance."

I bowed down and was about to turn around to walk out when Sunny stopped me.

"Seeing your desire and sincerity to work here, maybe I'll consider. But I won't promise anything." Sunny said as I smiled while she took her purse and walked out of the room together with me. "Are you sure you can work here for free for a week?"

************************

"I seriously don't understand why we have to waste our time, sitting down here and watching a game which we don't have an interest in." Luna nagged as Sulli nodded her head in agreement.

"It's because someone here is interested. Not in the game but in the person who is playing it." Sulli added her own comments as both of them turned to look at Krystal who had her eyes focused on the basketball court.

"Can the both of you stop blabbering for a minute? I'm trying to focus on the game." Krystal glared at her two friends who rolled their eyes at her.

At that moment, the 3 girls noticed that the group of students, who were playing basketball, had ended their session and were walking to the benches where their belongings were.

"Hi Krystal. Hi Sulli. Hi Luna." Amber smiled as she waved at the 3 girls who then waved back at her. "Thank you for always watching our games even though it's just a friendly match."

Amber bowed a little before she smiled again.

"Great j...." Krystal's words were cut off as she watched another girl running towards Amber and giving her a hug.

"Good job, Llama." The girl smiled widely, showing her full set of bright teeth.

"Thanks, Goldfish. Even though I know you were not even here throughout the match. I just saw you walking in from the entrance." Amber pouted cutely as Ailee just laughed at her.

"Let's go." Krystal suddenly stood up and was about to walk away when she heard Amber's voice.

"Wait, are you girls going off already?" Amber asked as Sulli and Luna had a blank look on their faces while Krystal had her usual cold glare on. "Would you like to join me and Ailee for dinner?"

"Yes, yes. The more the merrier." Ailee added on as she continued to smile to everyone.

"Well..." Luna tried to answer but she kept looking between Krystal and Amber. "I'm okay with it. But I'm not sure about Sulli and Krystal."

Krystal looked at how Amber was excitedly asking them to join her that she subconsciously nodded her head. Sulli just followed her friends as they made their way to the campus carpark. Amber and Ailee were walking ahead, squabbling and joking around with each other while Krystal, Sulli and Luna were at the back.

"Both of you look like a couple from behind." Sulli suddenly said, causing both Amber and Ailee to turn around.

"What? Me and her? No way." Ailee said as she teasingly punched Amber on her shoulder.

"That's right. She's not my type." Amber answered while making faces at Ailee.

"Then what is your type?" Luna asked as they approached Ailee's car.

"I've not really thought about it though." Amber paused and started to rub her chin as if she was thinking. "Maybe someone like Krystal."

Krystal instantly blushed when she heard Amber's answer as all of them climbed into Ailee's car with Amber sitting in front while Sulli, Luna and Krystal took their seats at the back.

"Krystal, just a word of advice. Stay away from this girl." Ailee said as she started the car engine while Amber pretended to look angry.

"That's not a word. It's almost a sentence. Anyway, Krystal will never listen to you." Amber turned behind and grinned at Krystal, who quickly looked away.

"Where are we going for dinner?" Luna asked as the car started to leave the carpark.

"Let's go to the cafe where I'm working part-time at. The food is good but the people working there are better. A bunch of fun people to hang around with." Amber said as she keyed in the location in the GPS for Ailee to follow.

"You're working part-time?" Krystal asked as Amber nodded her head. "Won't that be tiring? Juggling work and studies."

There was a concerned look in Krystal's face as Amber smiled before informing her that she needed the extra cash for her own spendings since she didn't want to trouble her parents. Amber explained that she would only work on weekends after she's done with her assignments. She said that the only person whom she had brought to the cafe before was Ailee.

"Ailee, I'm so going to miss you once you graduate in a few months." Amber said before she started to chuckle.

"You miss me driving you around, right? Pampered Llama." Ailee replied before she took a glance through the rear mirror. "The 3 of you, please take care of this girl once I'm done with my degree. Don't allow her to flirt around so much."

"Yah!! I don't flirt around, okay. I'm just very sociable." Amber meronged at Ailee who rolled her eyes at her.

Sulli and Luna were giggling along as they observed the interaction between Amber and Ailee while Krystal was lost in her own thoughts.

************************

"Unnies!!!"

Amber shouted as she pushed the door of the cafe and walked in. The girls walking behind her were shocked with her actions as they started to feel embarassed since the customers in the cafe were looking at them right now. Lucky for them, there were only about 5 customers at the moment.

"Aisshhh, that Llama. Always trying to grab attention wherever she goes." Ailee mumbled as she followed Amber from behind while Sulli, Luna and Krystal were still frozen at the entrance.

"Yah, stop trying to make a grand entrance."

A tall girl came out from behind the counter and knocked Amber's head before another girl with blonde hair, walked past them with a tray of drinks in her hand while shaking her head.

"That hurts, Yoona-unnie." Amber pouted before she broke into a grin. "Hi Hyo-unnie. Are you busy?"

Amber asked the blonde girl who had returned with an empty tray and Amber flinched when the girl pretended as if she wanted to hit Amber with the tray.

"Ask your friends to take a seat. They're blocking the entrance." Hyoyeon said as she pointed to Sulli, Luna and Krystal. "Hi, Ailee."

Hyoyeon greeted Ailee, who had walked up to the counter where Amber was standing and pulled Amber's right ear to bring her to a nearby table. Ailee then gestured to Sulli, Luna and Krystal to join them.

"The jajangmyun here is nice. Sweet spicy chicken is not bad. Vic-unnie and Yoona-unnie are really good cooks." Amber suggested a few dishes as she pointed to the menu.

"This cafe is cool. It's not like the typical cafe where they only served cakes, coffees and light snacks." Luna commented as she looked through the menu.

"Well, the owner here loves to eat, especially korean food so she will usually change the menu every 3 months to have a variety of food available. It's also to attract customers to come back for more. So this month, they're serving asian food style." Amber said explained as she waved her hands at Yoona, who then made her way to their table.

"Ready to order?" Yoona asked as she smiled. "Looks like you brought new friends with you, Am. I'm starting to think that the only friend you have is Ailee."

"Amber has a lot of friends in campus. More than her fingers can count. She's like Miss Personality in school." Ailee answered as Yoona nodded her head in agreement.

"Are both of you related?" Sulli asked as she pointed her finger at Krystal and Yoona. "Both of you look similar."

The other girls looked at Krystal before turning to look at Yoona and for the next few seconds, no one said anything until Amber broke the silence.

"Come to think of it, both of you really look similar but I don't think they are related. Are you?" Amber herself was uncertain as she raised her eyebrows.

"We're not. I'm Kwon Yoona by the way. And you are?" Yoona offered her hand to Krystal who then introduced herself before Sulli and Luna did the same.

The next few minutes were spent taking orders and just when Yoona was about to walk away, another girl came to stand beside her. She was even taller than Yoona as she knocked Amber's head lightly.

"Aish, why does the two of you like to do the same thing? I know both of you are lovebirds but do you really have to be so similar?" Amber started to nag while rubbing her head as Ailee laughed at her.

"Seems like we have new customers here. Hi, girls. My name is Choi Sooyoung and I'm the owner of this cafe." She smiled after the short introduction. "Wow, you look like my girlfriend. Are you related to each other?"

"They are not. We've just reaffirmed it 10mins before you arrive, unnie. They are my schoolmates, same year as me. Unlike Ailee who is a year older but doesn't want us to call her unnie since she doesn't want to feel old." Amber commented, causing Ailee to punch her shoulders. "Anyway, this is my cool boss. And she's a shikshin, along with her girlfriend."

"Shikshin? How do they maintain their figures?" Sulli blurted out her thoughts before covering . "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude."

Yoona and Sooyoung shook their heads and informed Sulli that they were fine with it. Amber then introduced Sulli, Luna and Krystal to Sooyoung before she started to look around.

"That's Hyoyeon-unnie." Amber pointed to the blonde girl who was preparing some drinks at the counter. "Is Vic-unnie busy?"

"I'll go in and get her." Yoona said as Sooyoung went to the counter to help Hyoyeon with the orders

"How long have you been working in this cafe?" Krystal asked as she looked at Amber.

"Since early this year, so around 5 months. This cafe had just opened for a month when I started working." Amber answered. "I got to know about this place from Vic-unnie. She's a friend of my cousin."

"Talking about me?" Victoria appeared beside Amber, with her apron still on her.

Amber introduced Victoria to everyone at the table before she excused herself to return to the kitchen since she needed to prepare the food orders.

"How old is Sooyoung-unnie? She looks young." Luna asked as Amber informed that Sooyoung, Yoona and Hyoyeon were the same age.

"The 3 of them are 24yrs old. Vic-unnie is a year older. She's 25 and the main chef in the cafe. Yoona-unnie will help her out sometimes even though she's usually outside to take orders. Hyo-unnie will prepare the drinks and also sent it over. Soo-unnie will help out with anything." Amber further explained.

"Is she rich? Sooyoung-unnie?" It was Sulli who voiced out the question as Amber shrugged her shoulders. "To have her own cafe at such a young age, it's really cool."

"What I heard from Vic-unnie was that Soo-unnie had started to save up and plan for this cafe ever since she graduated two years ago. Her girlfriend, Yoona-unnie also contributed a little to this cafe. That's why the name of the cafe is Twin Towers. It's because both of them are tall." Amber ended the explanation as Hyoyeon came with their drinks.

"Hey, Am. Thanks for covering me this Friday. I know that you only work on weekends. Sorry for the trouble." Hyoyeon said.

"It's okay, unnie. It's not like I'm always covering for you. I understand that you need to attend that dance competition which I hope you will win it." Amber showed a thumbs up to Hyoyeon who thanked her.

Food was served soon after as the girls enjoyed their dinner before leaving the cafe to return to the school dorm.

************************

"How's the new girl?" Sunny asked Taeyeon who had just walked in to her office.

"Not bad. I didn't really have to teach her much since she practically knows everything about car parts. She only needed my help when she couldn't find the tools in our workshop." Taeyeon answered as she took a seat opposite  Sunny.

"She has a master degree in automotive engineering. Obviously, she will know a lot about cars and their parts." Sunny replied. "What I don't understand is why she insisted in working in my workshop."

"You didn't ask her?" Taeyeon said as Sunny tilted her head as if she was thinking.

"I didn't ask. But if I'm not wrong, she mumbled something after I told her that she could earn more and doesn't even need to get her hands dirty if she were to work at an established automobile industry like Hyundai or Kia." Sunny said as Taeyeon asked if she had heard what was being mumbled. "I didn't really catch what she said since it was quite soft but I heard the word 'Dad'."

"Dad?" Taeyeon frowned a little. "Is she hiding from her father? Because I don't think it's about money since she could obviously earn more elsewhere."

"That's true. I also think that it's not about the money. Anyway, I still haven't decide if I should employ her or not." Sunny tapped her fingers on the table while Taeyeon was spinning around in her chair. "Yah!! Stop spinning around. You're making me dizzy."

"Why don't you just employ her? She's been here for 4 days already and she's even doing it for free. She's good at the job, willing to take whatever salary that you're offering her and she's cute too. Even though she doesn't talk much." Taeyeon chuckled at her last remark, causing Sunny to roll her eyes at her.

"I've seen how she works and I have to agree that she's good. Since Yul is helping out at her dad's shop at the moment, we're currently shorthanded. I can't expect you to handle all the cars on your own." Sunny's words was agreed quickly by Taeyeon who nodded her head. "I'm just concern about her real motive of wanting to work with us."

"Why don't we just ask her about it?" Taeyeon suggested.

"Ask who about what?"

Both of them were surprised when Yuri's head popped out from behind the door as the girl grinned at her friends. She made her way in and took a seat beside Taeyeon.

"How come you're here? Aren't you suppose to be at your dad's shop?" Taeyeon asked.

"Appa was not feeling well so I told him to close the shop early and get some rest." Yuri replied. "By the way, did you manage to find someone for the job? I saw a pair of legs under one of the cars earlier. Initially I thought it's Taengoo's, but I notice that the legs were longer so it shouldn't be hers." Yuri laughed as Taeyeon kicked her chair away.

"I've not actually employ her yet. She's been here for 4 days though, working with no pay." Sunny replied as Yuri pulled herself back to the table.

"No pay? As in free service?" Yuri was shocked as Sunny nodded her head. "Why would she want to work with no pay?"

Sunny explained the whole situation as Yuri listened intently and Taeyeon added on about her working experience with the new girl.

"If she's good, why don't you just employ her, Sunny? From what you said, she seems very sincere about getting this job. Taengoo even said that she's cool." Yuri commented.

"She is. I mean for someone with that qualification, you would think that she's going to be arrogant but there is no air about her." Taeyeon continued to praise the new girl.

"How old is she anyway?" Yuri asked as Sunny replied by saying that she was 24, a year younger than the 3 of them. "That means she had just completed her masters recently. Is this her first job?"

"From what is written on her application form, it seems it is." Sunny said as she took out a file from her drawer and flipped through the page before passing it to Yuri to have a look.

"Han Eun Jin?" Yuri's eyes widened as she continued to look through the form. "Are.. are you..su.. sure this is her form?"

Sunny and Taeyeon were confused with Yuri's reaction as Sunny nodded her head to Yuri's question.

"This.. this girl... You mean this girl is the one outside right now?" Yuri asked again before she dashed out of the room, the moment Sunny nodded her head again.

"Yah, Yul!!!! Where are you going?" Taeyeon stood up and ran after Yuri.

"Wait for me!!!" Sunny shouted from behind.

************************

I pulled myself out from under the car and blinked my eyes rapidly when the sunlight hit me directly. I've been servicing the car since an hour ago so I needed time to adjust to the change of brightness. Looking around, I saw that Taeyeon was not back yet. She had informed me earlier that she's going in to the office to look for Sunny. Even though both of them were a year older than me, they insisted for me to call them by their name instead of calling them unnie.

It's been 4 days since I started to work at the workshop with no pay. I didn't mind at all since I'm thankful that Sunny was giving me a chance to prove myself. When I received Sunny's call asking me to come down to the workshop, I agreed to it immediately.

Taking a cloth to clean my hand off the grease, I made my way to the side cupboard to clear up the tools that I had used so far. Taking a glance at the clock, I noticed that I'm left with an hour before the workshop closed for the day.

"Eunjin?"

I was surprised to hear my name being called out as I turned around to come face to face with a tall girl. She was slightly tanned with long black hair. 'Why does she look familiar?' I thought to myself as both of us stared at each other for a few seconds. I didn't have to wait long for an answer when I heard her name being called out.

"Yah, Kwon Yuri!! Why the hell did you run out?" Taeyeon appeared soon behind Yuri while panting a little.

"Yuri? Kwon Yuri?" I pointed to the girl in front of me as I finally realised why I had felt the familiarity when she first appeared in front of me. "Heol."

I was engulfed into a hug the moment I said it as I saw the shocked look on Taeyeon's face.  Sunny, who had appeared a few seconds after Taeyeon, had an unreadable expression on her.

"I can't believe it's you." Yuri said as she distanced herself from me while I just smiled at her.

"How did you manage to recognise me?" I asked as she pointed to the small scar above my right eye. "Don't lie. This scar is so small that you need to stand in front of me to actually notice it."

Yuri laughed before she showed me the file that was in her hand. I recognised the application form instantly before I broke into a grin.