059

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite Nocte Academy housing and training the next generation of Summoners, in the Dual battles that followed the one between Jaebum and Jessica, no one had amounted the same level of hype or suspense as Jaebum.


After the extremely powerful outburst from his youngest Warrior, the match had been called and both Summoners had been carried out of the arena by staff, both on stretchers and unable to stand on their own. Jaebum's Warriors vanishing after a brief conversation with their Summoner.
 

We stayed and watched three more battles after the first but left partway through the fifth battle of the night when it became clear that the exciting ones had been scheduled first, people still conversing about the unpredicted outcome and remaining pumped up on  the adrenaline watching had induced, even as new competitors entered and exited the arena.
 

The initial cool breeze grew stronger and seemed to linger longer as I grew steadily more exhausted, the events of the day catching up to me all at once and leaving me almost unable to stand on my own.
 

Noticing this, Kris called an end to our outing and helped guide me down the stairs and towards the exit, ignoring the rocks and balls of compressed air being thrown haphazardly at each other.
 

Almost out of the arena, I stumbled on my exhausted legs, unable to hold my own weight, leading to Kris picking me up and, with the assistance of my other Warriors, putting me on his back and leaving me to rest as he carried us both home.
 

I vaguely remember being stopped just as we were about the officially leave and I remember the almost soft look on Daesung's face as he gave Baekhyun a slip of some sort, giving us an exemption pass for the rules that were still in place and ordering us all to go straight home before returning to the outskirts of the ring.
 

I can't recall anything beyond passing through the center of Campus and giggling as Kai tripped on a stick as he ran ahead of us, fumbling to stand as even DO gave a small chuckle at his flustered state.
 

Presumably, I dozed off, leading me to where I am now, snuggled up in my freshly made bed, courtesy of Lay, and nursing a cup of steaming hot chocolate. Xiumin's specialty.
 

Judging by the light outside and the beaming red numbers on my alarm clock, it's nine in the morning and absolutely bucketing with rain, the occasional flash of light flickering across the sky and the ground rumbling with every roll of thunder. Thankfully, classes were already called off for today, giving the students time to recuperate from the events of yesterday and allowing the staff time to repair the damage we caused and revise their lesson plans for the latter half of the school year.

 

Despite not living very far from the Campus grounds, the small town one of the few less than three hours drive from the gates, the erratic weather pattern makes it feel like I've moved halfway across the world. The frequent storms and violent winds, along with the rain and suddenly perfect days makes it feel like I'm no longer in Korea, the weather back at Gran's being predictable and rather bland.


Standing on sore legs, I make my way to my wardrobe, calling forward my fluffy dressing gown from within its enchanted depths. Wrapping it securely around me, I tie the ties tightly and slide my feet into my slippers, ignoring the fact that I am already wearing socks.
 

With hot chocolate in hand, I shuffle my way towards the balcony doors on the opposite side of the room, sliding back the curtains covering the glass-paned doors and carefully opening one.
 

I'm dragged forcefully forwards as the wind catches on the now open door, throwing it open further. I plant my feet and manage to catch both myself and the door before we both hit the side of the house and I remain holding it tightly until the bout of wind ends.

 

Thankfully I am able to save a majority of my drink but still frown as some of the chocolatey goodness is thrown from the mug.
 

Once the gusts die, I shut the door behind me and still clasping the remnants of my hot chocolate tightly in one hand, I make my way over to one of the two chairs bolted to the balcony, unable to be moved from under the roof's overhang without removing the steel bolts attaching it to the ground.
 

It may not be the smartest idea but I've already given in to my sudden urge and curl up on the chair, watching the storm unfold and wreak havoc on my backyard. I have no idea how much time has passed since I left the confines of my room, only that my hot chocolate is gone and my stomach is rumbling insistently, yet I remain watching the blackened sky be set alight.

 

When a particularly bright bolt strikes something within campus, I snap my head towards the large bang as it comes into contact with physical material and bite my lip in worry, wondering what it had hit and if we were going to get assaulted by pure electricity as well.
 

The temperature drops gradually and slowly, the rain becomes white and clings to whatever surface it lands on, the snow blanketing my world as the storm lightens up slightly and I briefly return inside to grab a blanket. Even being a stubborn as I am, I'll admit it's cold.
 

At the sound of the doors being opened, I turn my attention to Xiumin as he joins me and send a small wave towards Chen as he shuts the door behind them both.
 

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask, uncurling myself as Xiumin takes the seat next to me and Chen shuffles over to stand in between our two chairs, plastering himself against the side of the house in order to avoid coming into contact with the falling flakes.
 

"What are you doing out here?" Xiumin retorts, crossing his arms as he scans me with his eyes. I'm not worried, there's nothing visible that should worry him unless he can somehow see the dull ache in my muscles.
 

"I'm watching the storm? What else would I be doing out here?" I question, wondering exactly what they thought I was doing if they really had to ask that question.
 

"I don't know, what else could you be doing?" Xiumin replies teasingly. Between us, Chen shakes his head and sighs, rubbing a hand down his face as he listens to our playful banter.
 

Before I am given the chance to reply to his question or make a comment on Chen's apparent exasperation, the Fire Warrior interrupts me. "Kris sent us out here to see what you were doing when Kai sensed you were up on the balcony. He didn't say so but we know he's worried we were going to have another 'Avery wants to fly' episode."
 

Immediately, my mood drops as I remember what happened the last time I came out here without anyone with me.
 

Chen receives a sharp nudge from Xiumin as he sees me deflate and the Fire Warrior gives a small yell as he holds his side, incredulous as he was punished for telling the truth for once.

 

"Don't worry. That's never going to happen again," I voice, a silent promise to both them and myself that I will never attempt anything like that again, because, although it may not have seemed like it, the thought of going back up onto the roof and free falling scares the absolute out of me.
 

Yet as the next bright flash of light colored the sky, a sense of looming overcomes me along with a strong feeling of forewarning, making me shiver as tingles roll down and through my spine.
 

"Apart from that, why are you guys out here?" I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter