032

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Christmas day.


A day of endless joy and festivities, laughter and smiles, wrapping paper and bows, trees and wreaths, but most of all, a day of family.
 

Christmas Eve has always been my favorite day of the year, topping even that of the day itself, because it is one of the only days I will spend every waking minute with my family, decorating the house, putting up the tree and wrapping the last minute gifts for those extended members we accidentally forget.
 

Yet now, the only family I have left is Gran and a group of magical Warriors who are bound to me because I bled on a card connected to their soul.
 

And Gran has no idea about who or what they were. At all. And it would remain that way for a long while, hopefully forever, if the next few days went exactly to plan and no one screwed up.
 

The letter had come a few days before, asking if I would be catching one of the campus buses back to my hometown and joining my only remaining relative for the two days of Christmas. She also insisted in her perfect cursive that if the group of friends she had met during the Summer festival had nowhere else to go during the week-long holiday break, that they join us so they wouldn't miss out on the festivities.
 

She really has no idea how bad that idea really is.
 

And yet, me being me and wanting to give my Warriors the freedom they deserve, I asked them to vote on what they wanted to do for Christmas. Did they want to stay here while I visited Gran, or did they want to join me?
 

The vote was unanimous and nine small overnight bags are now stacked neatly by the front door waiting to be grabbed on the way out.
 

Currently, we're all spread around the house and as per popular request, tinsel is being strung around the false fur tree I had purchased, with the help of Tao, from the campus's festivity store. Three more Warriors being needed to lug home the boxes of decorations the Spirit Warrior had found and coerced me into buying.
 

Damn those panda eyes.
 

"A little higher... little higher... little higher... too high," Tao calls from the middle of the living room where Chanyeol stands on top of a ladder, holding a wreath up to the wall above the fireplace, Lay standing below him to hold the metal frame steady.
 

Chanyeol sighs heavily and bangs his head against the wall in frustration. This was far from the first time Tao has been overly particular when it comes to decorating, the tree already having to be moved seven times to be in the perfect place and the strings of lights wrapped around it were adjusted three more times than that.
 

"Well if your hearts going to be broken if the wreaths a few centimeters off, you come and hang the damn thing." Chanyeol huffs as he climbs down, almost throwing the ring of holly at the younger Warrior as Lay watches with sleepy eyes.
 

Everyone is tired and six in the morning is not a great time to be woken up, solely to decorate before we leave.
 

Xiumin and DO are in the kitchen, making hot cocoa with a recipe I have taught them, making them extra chocolatey and fluffy.
Kai, Chen, and Kris dart around outside decorating the large fur tree DO had grown in the backyard, covering it in festive baubles and plastic bells that would annoy our neighbors for days on end.
 

I sit on the couch, putting the finishing touches on a bunch of bows that I would later stick on top of my presents, color coding them for each recipient.
 

"Fine," Tao huffs as he climbs the ladder and after much internal deliberation, stabs the small hooked pin into the wall and hangs the wreath from it, stepping down slowly to admire his handy work.
 

"There, perfect," He states as he stares at it, hands on his hips and radiating with pride, only to sag as it suddenly flops to the side and falls to the ground, almost hitting Lay as he sleeps standing up, still holding the ladder.
 

Tao begins pouting as he picks it up, looking at it in dismay. "These ones have a small metal tab you have to attach to the hook for it to stay up, see here," I point out, finger brushing the small gold loop at the back of the wreath. He lights up again and replaces it back on the wall, the decorative item finally staying in place even with a small bump from Chanyeol as he removes the ladder and carries it back to its place under the stairs.

 

"Cocoa!" DO calls from the kitchen, his call mimicked by Xiumin as he sticks his head out the back door, causing everyone to turn and rush in to grab their own cup before it was claimed by another.


In a flurry of hands and whines, we all end up with our unofficially designated cups, the ones we favor above all others for no apparent reason.
 

"So when does our bus leave, Avery?" Xiumin asks in between sips.
 

"The bus leaves at two, so we have time to double check we have everything we may need, finish decorating and you can do any last minute shopping if any of you need too, preferably before lunch," I state, counting off the tasks on my fingers.
 

"Who needs to pick up a gift or two?" Kris asks, looking around the rest of the Warriors. Kai, Chanyeol, and Lay raised their hands slowly, all sheepish to admit that they hadn't gotten everything during the last few days I had given them time too.
 

"Fine, the four of us will go shopping once we're done here while the rest of you can finish the tree outside." He sighs, rolling his eyes at the three but not at all surprised at their admittance.
 

"I'm going to finish up some stuff in my room, just make sure you're back before midday and that you have everything ready to go by half-past-one." I remind, not wanting to be rushing about during the last few minutes and then having to run to catch the only bus heading anywhere near my hometown.
 

"Yes, Avery." They all reply in unison, Chen giving a cheeky salute that went hand-in-hand with Xiumin's puffed cheeks and Tao's wink.
 

Soon enough, all the mugs are placed in the sink and we all go our separate ways, retreating to different areas to finish whatever we have left to do and for the next two and a half hours, I sit in the middle of my bedroom, surrounded by wrapped and to-be-wrapped presents, tapping on paper and bows, writing cards and furiously checking the windows as Tao tries multiple times to sneak a peek at one of his gifts.

 

Too bad for him, I wrapped his first.

 

As I put the finishing touches on the final green bow, a loud bang echoed from downstairs as the front door slams shut and a herd of elephants makes their way up the stairs, splitting off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter