089

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HAPPY 19TH BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! Ten minutes and it will be October 29th here and I'll officially be 19!!!!! Damn I feel old...

 

 

 

The curry in my stomach stirs uncomfortably. The unsettling feeling increasing with each step she took, trailing behind Suho as he leads me to the room he had claimed as his. 


The click of the door shutting behind me registers louder than it is, an ominous silence overtaking us as we hesitantly settle ourselves in the rather plain room. A leather chair not unlike those tucked away in the secluded corners of the second-floor library and the plush cream sheets of the bed providing the separation we silently acknowledge we need but forces us to stay closer than I would like to register.
 

The silence was uncomfortable, neither of us wanting to start the conversation nor fill the silence with mindless chatter, the subject they agreed to tentatively approach sensitive not only to the male but to every other in the house, all of which could hear the exchange clearly if they decided to discard their warning. 
 

"I'm sorry." 
 

My head snapped up at the sudden confession, shocked that of all people he was the one apologizing.
 

"I don't hate you, I don't. I treated you like complete and utter and I'm sorry. I thought you were giving my brothers and I false hope, that you were just going to use us and turn face in the end, chase the same power trip the others did once they found out who we were and what we could do and for that I'm sorry."
 

I blink rapidly and rubs my hands over my eyes, even pinching my forearm to make sure I wasn't in some twisted version of a hopeful dream. He stayed as he was, slouched over the side of the bed, eyes to the floor, my forearm burns and this isn't a dream.
 

Suho, I repeat, Suho apologized. After saying as little as possible to my face and only being in the same vicinity when forced or feeling tolerant, Suho was apologizing. 
 

I open my mouth to speak, to tell him I understand at least somewhat why he acted the way he did, that there was little if any to be sorry for but as he inhales deeply and speaks again, I stay quiet, the whisper of his voice indicating how reluctant he is to broach the subject. If I stop him now I may never know.
 

"I know Jongin told you what happened to Sehun and a little about our past but if you're going to understand us as you say you do, I think you need to know as much as possible in case something from our past comes back to find us."
 

I do not want to know what could come back from their past. Their Summoners are dead and other Warriors subservient to another so only in inhumane remain as threats in the current day, so no, I don't want to know what could be added to our problems.
 

"I was born in a small village, the sixth child of what would grow to be a family of fifteen children. I never knew my mother, my siblings, and I were only connected through our father and none of us ever knew who birthed us. The only thing I learned about her was that she had dark hair and our father favored her, spending many nights with her as she birthed five of us. Of my fourteen siblings, I had twelve brothers and two sisters. One sister died in a raid when I was only a few days old and a brother died in a hunting accident when I had just passed my eight summers." He pauses either to gather his thoughts or allow intergection but continues when I say nothing, scooting only a little closer to hear his soft voice better.
 

"As the elder few of us grew, we took over all roles of our household, there was no woman in our house to cook or clean, our remaining sister was too young to do much more than babble and crawl across the dirt floor of our hut. We did all we could to help the others grow and be useful to the village, to keep what we had left alive even though it was common for children of our age to die before they reached adulthood. We taught them the language and skills they would need when it came time for them to choose a trade, whether it be hunting, building, cooking, or planting and harvesting crops. The only things we couldn't teach were how to sow and heal, Lay had to learn from our village healer while our sister learned with other girls how to do what we had never learned."
 

His voice slowly gains volume, though still no more than a whisper, he seems deep in his reminiscence.
 

"When I reached fourteen summers old, I was brought into the hunting party and I hunted deer, elk, and bears to bring back to feed the village. One of my brothers was a cook, one of maybe three males who didn't hunt, raid or build to keep the village running. There were always people going missing on hunts or being found dead in the woods after a few days but we thought it was bears or other villages fighting back. We gathered supplies and built up the village walls, carving spears and knives from the stone and wood we had access to, we prepared for war against our attackers, ready to take on any tribe or animals that sought to kill us. We thought it was human, that it could be nothing more than human after all, they are the more dangerous beings roaming the earth."
 

He shakes his head and pulls his collar up to his chin. "We were so wrong. One of the men came back from gathering reeds at the river and screamed about some creature following him to kill him, then it did. It flew through the trees and ripped him limb from limb as we ran screaming into our huts, running for our lives as those not fast enough were also ripped apart and eaten by the creature with three mouths. Our father was one of the men who tried to fight it and died, as did many others in the time that followed as we starved and withered away into skin and bones, unable to leave our huts for fear of death and sharing the small plants and rainwater between thirteen people was never going to be equal. There's no Korean equivalent for what we called the monster and others like it but you call them Angels."
 

"Our

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter