051

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What do you mean we have to wait until Four?" Chen asks, seeming rather put off by the late time.


"That's half-an-hour before we're scheduled to fight and before you say anything, there's no way I can get them to change it so don't even try begging," I warn with a pointed look.


"It's almost like they want you to hang around before the battle and become too intimidated to fight, or they want to sabotage you for the next fight, either by making you late or so you can't fight," Kris says, scratching his cheek as he leans on the arm of the couch.


I scoff and roll my eyes, the small black asterisk next to my name on the time table meaning that the time had been a special request from someone, most likely my opponent, making it all too possible.

 

"Like that'll happen. Avery's too stubborn to back down from a fight," Baekhyun scoffs from his place on the floor, spread like a starfish and looking extremely comfortable on the carpet.


"True that," Kai agrees, briefly looking up from his phone, the familiar sounds of Candy Crush sounding occasionally from the device.


 "Besides, it's not like we're going to hang around the arenas for the next six hours," I add, shrugging as they redirect their attention towards me, abandoning the activities they had started once I had re-summoned them back in the house.


"What'll we be doing then? I mean, it's like you said, we have six hours to fill." Chen asks, recovering from his small tantrum.


"We can't train for a full six hours and still be in prime condition to fight at our best, so we'll just pretend it's the weekend and do whatever we want and begin training after four," I state, flickering my gaze to each Warrior for any signs or protest.


No one has any better ideas or protests and our conversation turns to more menial topics until eventually, we all go our separate ways, filling our time with our preferred activities.


The decent weather draws almost everyone outside at some point or another.


DO tends to the garden, watering the plants with care and ripping out the weeds as if they had personally offended him. He kneels by one of the flower beds for a few minutes and once he steps away, the blossoms are much brighter and healthier than I have ever seen them.


Xiumin manages to drag Chanyeol, Chen, and Tao into a game of soccer, temporarily dragging DO away from the plants to grow a pair of goals for them to play with. The well-loved ball sails between the four as their competitive sides kick in and they play as if their lives depend on winning, even though no one is actually keeping score.


Content with just spending as much of the day in the sun as possible, I make myself comfortable on one of the outdoor chairs and begin sketching, beginning with a picture off my phone before turning to the scenery around me.


Lay snoozes on the chair next to me, curled up and pressed into the corner of the waterproof material, small huffs of breath and the occasional snore escaping his parted lips.


Kris floats leisurely around the pool, occasionally disappearing underwater and popping up again suddenly. However, it is easy to keep track of where he is due to his bright red board shorts, yet somehow, as the ball rolls near the edge of the pool, Tao still almost s himself as Kris pops up near the edge as he is forced to retrieve it.


I become perplexed as Baekhyun joins Kris as the sun beats down harder, abandoning his book in favor of the cool water. Chen had already explained to me that he isn't particularly fond of the water due to his abilities and Chanyeol had expressed the same feelings, despite not having the added electricity factor. Yet for some reason or another Baekhyun was an exception to the whole 'water and fire do not mix well' thing.


I don't question him about it, leaving him to annoy Kris to his own pleasure.


Kai chooses to stay inside, eyes locked on his phone as he sits on the couch, determined to pass the level he is stuck on, completely ignoring us as we try multiple times to get the young Warrior to come out and enjoy the fine weather.


The sun soon reaches it's highest point and faint echoes of explosions reach our ears as the more intense battles seem to get underway in the arenas. DO shakes Lay awake, despite my protests and drags him into the kitchen to help prepare lunch. They re-emerge twenty minutes later with plates full of bread and fillings for sandwiches, a rather put-off Kai carrying a tray of drinks behind them, his phone nowhere on his person. DO's handy work I suspect.


Lunch is filled with light chatter and teasing as per usual and I shake my head as I remember how anxious I was this morning, worrying over every little thing. Who knew we would just end up chilling in the back yard for most of the day.


As the dishes are carted back into the house, Kai remains in his seat, seemingly lost on what to do now that his phone was in the hands of DO and there was no way he would be getting it back anytime soon.


"Hey Avery," He turns to me, a small pout forming on his lips as he widens his eyes and tilts his head slightly. "Can I use your phone for something? Please?" He begs, uping the intensity of his puppy dog look.


. I can never win against the puppy dog stare.


In order to remain strong, I direct my eyes to the trees behind him before answering. "What is this something?"


"Just something,"  He shrugs innocently. "Like what?" I continue to press, wanting to make sure he wasn't just going to run off with it to play games. 


"I just want some music," He pouts harder. "Please?"


"We'll just use my phone Kai," Lay speaks up from behind me, having exited the house and heard his begging. And apparently also involved in whatever Kai wants my phone for.


Kai sighs, defeated as he gets up and retreats inside the house, the small thumps that echo from the hallway leading me to believe he is stomping up the stairs to his room.


"Don't mind him, he just wanted to take a bazillion selfies on your phone as well as have music." Lay comforts after noticing my guilty expression.


He puts an arm around my shoulders and it is only then that I notice his change of clothes. Gone are the form-fitting jeans and t-shirt and in their place are a pair of baggy jeans and a grey tank top, a pair of black and white slip-on shoes on his feet and his gloves molded to his hands.


I attempt to ignore the feeling of his lean but strong arm pulling me closer to him, his bare skin pale, yet healthy and free of any marks or scars despite literally being weapon on mass destruction and even though it is due to the power that he holds that he avoids skin-to-skin contact with me, he's  somehow managing just fine despite the amount of skin bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter