086

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

86 Chapters and finally the bomb is dropping!!!!!!!

 

 

 

"We're here," Henry calls as we reach a stop between trees which looks no different to any other. 


"Huh?"
 

"We're here. It may not look like much but this is the edge of the rune circles that cover and protect the school. See that tree over there," He points to a large warped trunk surrounded by lush green leaves. "Behind that is a well, it's really old and crumbling but at the very bottom of it the markings completing the rune circle we're protected by are carved into the stone."
 

I take a few steps to the left and see that there is a very old crumbling stack of cobblestones, I wouldn't call it a well as it is mostly crumbling cobbles and rotten wood but no doubt it's out of place in the forest surrounding a very modern school.
 

Just one step forwards, closer to the ruins and I'm in another plane of existence.
 

The air falls dead, no longer flowing with the calm breeze or carrying the earthy scent of the forest around us.

There is no noise, the chirping of birds falling silent and the leaves ceasing their endless rustle. So quiet  I hear the blood flowing through my veins and heart beating rapidly, I begin to panic, a sense of foreboding doom consuming and forcing me to take a step back before I hyperventilate.
 

Herny says nothing as he walks up behind me, rubbing small circles on my back as I slowly overcome the immense negativity and danger that one step forwards produced.  
 

"What was that?" I whisper, wiping the water from my eyes.
 

"That," He points to the well "was the protections on the seal. Anyone who comes within close enough proximity to damage or destroy the seals, no matter their intentions, activates the protections. It overwhelms your senses and that feeling of all-consuming doom and danger? That was a warning for what was to come if you approached any further. Only the Ancient One can approach the seals and bypass the protections."
 

"That was horrible," I say, still reeling from the shock delivered to my mind.
 

"That's their job." Henry shrugs "I approached one on my first day as well and passed out, my partner had to pull me out of the protections and wait till I woke up to tell me what they were. Runes are complicated and powerful things that should never be challenged or messed with."  
 

"What happens if the well falls apart completely?" I ask, curious as we don't cover runes until our third year and Kris is always reluctant to answer everything I ask for more information about.
 

"Like if the carvings down the bottom get disturbed, cracked, or broken?" Henry chuckles "I asked the same thing, I swear you're like a mini-me. If the inscriptions are disturbed then the circle will break so the school will be unprotected and vulnerable to any attacks. So if that ever happens the school has to bring in the Ancient One to repair the circle and reactivate the runes."
 

"Well damn," I mutter hoping with everything I have that nothing such as that happens, especially while I'm on shift.
 

Apart from the occasional bird, squirrel, and other woodland critters, nothing happens. The pouch strapped to my hip occasionally causes distraction as the cards within glow, letting me know which of those at home have decided to return to them while I am gone. Henry tells me doing nothing is normal and that it's best if nothing happens as the sight of some of the creatures attracted to the sheer amount of magical pressure of the runes is rather gruesome. 
 

Dokkaebi - creatures of mischief who are relatively harmless and only want to prank students, feeding off the magical energy of Summoners to escalate their pranks. One or two are okay but any more and any fights that break out between the two races are not in the favor of Summoners. They are allowed to the edge of the border to feed off what energy seeps through the border but are not allowed to cross it, usually leaving if asked politely after entertaining a few jokes.
 

Gumiho - a nine-tailed fox succubus who enchants men and women alike to eat their hearts or livers. Usually taking the form of a beautiful young woman, its true form is a horrifying mix of fox and shadows, like Frankenstein's monster. They are never allowed ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter