040

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite waking up to the morning song of the resident bird life, I wake confused and frustrated, my encounter from the previous night still playing in my mind and affecting my dreams, leaving me with more questions than I could ever write down.

 

Apparently, I am not the only one affected by the events of last night as loud snores and small puppy like whimpers echo from the hall opposite my room, the hall all my Warrior take residence in.

 

Unlike most other mornings, there is no scent of freshly cooked food to draw us slowly from our heavenly confines, there is no yelling or thumping as the younger Warriors wrestle to get to the dining room first and no one laughing at Lay as he sleepily falls down the stairs for the third time this week.

 

The house is silent, everyone still either asleep or tucked away in their rooms, a very unusual but welcome change to our normal routine. Taking advantage of the early morning light and still quiet surroundings, I slide out of bed and shuffle my way over to my desk, pulling an old journal from beneath the papers stacked inside my top-most draw.

 

Using the same pen I use for my assignments, I write everything that I have learned in the past few days, most being from the night before. I write out the information on Baekhyun, although my memory of our first encounter is still patchy, I record what I remember. I also add a small footnote on what I had been told about the scores every Warrior has recorded in the book and what had changed since the last time I had seen it.

 

Once finished with my notes, I tuck the journal back in its hiding spot and stretch skyward, back clicking satisfyingly in several places as my full mobility returns. Stopping to grab a pair of clothes from the closet, I make my way to the bathroom, fully intending to scent myself and the room with the tropical goodness that is my soap.

 

Patting the drops falling from the ends of my hair, I begin the trek downstairs, listening closely to see if I need to duck into one of the adjoining hallways to prevent being trampled by Chen and Kai as they run through the house. But the house remains silent. It seems as if I am still the only one up and moving even as the clock hands creep closer to seven.

 

Accepting the fact that I'll be alone for the time being, I begin pulling tupaware containers from the cupboard, each one containing an ingredient I will need.

 

Despite my Gran using the infamous containers for almost everything, I have in no way intended to do the same, but after DO complained about not being able to find anything in the kitchen I relented and picked some up from one of the campus stores.

 

As I begin frying the first lot of batter, a shuffle comes from the top of the stairs, a pair of bare feet and blue pajama bottoms beginning to make their way down the carpeted slope. A bleary-eyed Kris rubs his face from the doorway of the kitchen, pausing in his movements as he registers what he's looking at.

 

"Morning Kris." I greet, eyes focused on the quickly heating batter as he comes closer, a small whine escaping him as his feet make contact with the cold wood of the kitchen floor. "Morning Avery." He mumbles, taking a seat at one of the bar stools and laying his head down on his folded arms, groaning as he closes his eyes.

 

I giggle softly and let him be as I continue to cook, carefully heating every set of batter to perfection before removing and replacing it in the pan. Sometime later, as I cut fruit and place it in two large bowls, Xiumin makes his way downstairs, also in his sleep clothes, and starts the coffee machine, waking Kris and luring the rest of my Warriors into the kitchen as they wait for their own cup of caffeine goodness.

 

And despite all his begging, Chanyeol remains on his caffeine restriction.

 

As I finish cutting the last pieces of apple, the bowl I have placed it in is taken from the bench and walked towards the dining room, where the rest of my cooking has also vanished too and the table set while my attention was turned.

 

Smiling gratefully at DO and Tao, I turn to the fridge to make a pitcher of flavored juice only to find Xiumin mixing in the last of the powder on the other bench behind me. Sighing, I shake my head and make my way to the dining room, knowing full well what they were trying to tell me and while I'm not completely happy with their interference, I can't turn away a helping hand every now and then.

 

As I take, my seat near the head of the table, I feel a small nudge on my arm and turning to my left I find Kai sitting next to me smiling tiredly as he hands me my cutlery from the pile in the middle of the table.

 

Again, I jump as a soft cheek is laid on my bare shoulder, small puffs of breath tickling my neck as Lay breathes in and out slowly, seeming content with the fact that he was probably going to fall asleep right then and there.

 

Despite the traditional Korean customs of waiting for the eldest member at the table, in this case Xiumin, to collect their food and begin eating before the younger members are able to do the same, we had long since decided to ignore the custom, all diving in fork first to the pile of fluffy goodness stacked on the plates in front of us.

 

The rest of the meal flies by in a flurry of movement, cutlery blurring as we all stuff our faces and fight over the last pancake, Kris winning as he dives in while we're distracted by Chen and Chanyeol beginning to wrestle for it.

 

Surprisingly, unlike everyone else the first morning after they were claimed, Baekhyun isn't silent or clinging to his closest friends as we eat together, instead, blending seamlessly with the atmosphere and socializing as if he has been there since day one.

 

With Tao and Chen stuck on clean-up duty, another roster we had to make to prevent fighting or DO

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter