002

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I walk into the kitchen to see my Grandmother seated at the table reading the paper. Same as every morning. Eggs and toast sitting on a plate in front of her, coffee in her usual rose covered mug beside it.


"Morning Gran." I give in to the enticing smell and begin eating my own share of eggs and toast already laid out for me across the table.


She looks up from her paper with a frown on her wrinkled face as she eyes my manner, scolding me as she does every morning. "Honestly Avery, you think you would learn by now that we won't run out of food. You can take your time eating."


Swallowing my toast I reply " It's a habit."


"A habit that needs to be broken Avery, your nineteen not four anymore." She sighs heavily as she returns her grey eyes to the paper.


We eat in silence until I stand, taking both plates, mugs, and cutlery, before going to the sink and washing them. The paper rustles as Gran turns to face me.


"Have you had any letters from the university's you sent applications to?" She's always a very direct woman, never beating around the bush.


"Not yet but I'm not expecting to get any soon cause I'm still fresh out of high school."


"Don't say that dear, you were top of all your classes for all of High School and excel at many other extracurriculars. Always hope."
Silence once again fills the room as I finish washing the dishes, placing them in the rack to dry. Gran continues reading the paper, humming and clicking her tongue occasionally as she reads through the articles.


The chime of the doorbell echoes through the entry hall as the clock strikes 8:30. Gran lifts her head as I pass her, her eyes boring holes into the back of my shirt. I reach the front door and bend down to grab the mail that Steven, the neighborhood mailman, has put through the slot in the door.


Bills, postcard, letter, bills, Nocte Academy, bills-

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter