049

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The announcer pauses and waits for the cheers to quiet down before bringing the microphone up to his lips and gesturing to the gap between the two stands on the left of the center stand.


"First up, from class JP4N, we have Eric Nam!"
 

A student, dressed in black sweatpants, red sneakers, and a white shirt walks confidently out from where the announcer motions to, a brown leather card case latched securely onto his hip.
 

From where I sit, I cannot see many of his features, but from what I can see, he definitely got the good genes of his family. His dark hair is swept upwards to one side and his slightly tanned skin is smooth over muscles that are clearly there but are not bulging out of his skin.
 

He puts on a charming smile and waves to each of the five stands, waving more vigorously at certain people. While everyone is screaming, the loudest yells come from a group seated somewhere below me, a rhythmic chant of JP4N growing louder as he stands next to a tall tattooed man, a few feet away from the announcer.
 

The tattooed man, presumably his teacher or instructor, rests his hand on Eric's shoulder and seems to squeeze it, saying a few short words that no one but they can hear.
 

"Also from JP4N, Amber Liu!"
 

From the opposite entrance to Eric, a girl seems to swagger out. Her outfit is similar to Eric's with sweat pants, sneakers, and a loose t-shirt, only her colors are green and black, her card case, a gleaming silver, almost steel-like, is strapped to her left hip.
 

She walks over to Eric and the tattooed man, unphased by her opponent's presence beside their teacher, JP, and waits cooly for the last competitor to be announced. She is the epitome of cool, calm and collected.
 

"And last, but certainly not least, also from JP4N, Henry Lau!"
 

Again, I cannot make out the features of the last competitor but can tell that he also wears the same thing as Eric and Amber, only his black is grey and his red is blue. His light brown hair is parted near the middle of his forehead and his black card case is strapped to the lower right side of his back instead of his hip.
 

He joins the other two next to their teacher and waits, not as calm as Amber or as confident as Eric but not shaking from nerves, as they turn to the announcer and signal for him to continue.
 

"These three are your competitors for this year and, if they pass, will be presiding over some of the First Year matches." Squeals come from a few of the girls as it announced what year they will be refereeing, no doubt they are excited for 'fresh meat' to try and hook up with.
 

"Competitors, to your starting points," The announcer orders, taking on a commanding persona as he becomes a figure of authority.
 

The three competitors all shake hands lightly, smiles on their faces and split, jogging towards a small spray painted ring matching the color of their shirts, all at least fifty meters apart. They begin to stretch and Henry, who is closest to my spot in the stands, seems to be psyching himself up with a small speech.
At least, I think he is.
 

"So, are you excited to have three students taking on this role, the only ones in their year to do so?" The announcer asks the tattooed teacher, marking the beginning of a small interview as they allow the three warm-up time in their separate circles.
 

"Less excited and more proud, Win-ah, I've been training them for four years and finally, I get to see them fight the battle they promised against each other back in the first few days of their first year." The instructor says, looking proud.
 

"Anything we can expect to see from them?"
 

"I'm not going to give away too much, it's their job to show off, but I will tell you to expect quite the battle. Eric, Amber, and Henry have been joined at the hip since I first met them and they know each other's every move before they know it themselves, it will be interesting and I will not be surprised if it comes to a stalemate." He states, smirking as he makes his prediction for the fight ahead.
 

I bite my lip in anticipation, already able to tell from his foreboding words and demeanor that merely watching this fight will get my adrenaline pumping.
 

"Let's not wait any longer then. Competitors, ready in your stations." The announcer calls, making sure all three are ready to go before handing the microphone over to the instructor. "I hand this match over to your authority. Good luck."
 

He nods and moves to the side of the field, out of range of any initial attacks that may be thrown but not quite near the stands where the rest of the school waits with high-strung anticipation.
 

"Ready in your stations," He calls, placing the microphone to the side as his voice carries without it.


Henry turns slightly to the side, gaze firmly fixed on Amber as his toes edge the blue painted ring. Even from where I sit, I can see his fingers twitching towards his card case, obviously wanting nothing more than to begin summoning his Warriors.

 

"Set,"
 

I see the small figure of Eric slide into a lower stance, his back heel off the ground in a sprint

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter