054

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Henry brings the silver whistle to his lips and hesitates for a second, taking one last look at our battle ready forms before placing the metal between his lips and blowing, signaling the beginning of the match.


Nada seems to have more sense than the people in my class. Shuffling slowly to the left, she begins to circle towards me, slowly gaining ground and creeping ever so closer with each circuit.
 

I make no move to attack, instead, I remain content in following her movements, spinning on my blue X at the same speed she circles me, refusing to take my eyes off her or display my unprotected and very vulnerable back.
 

While screams and yells sound from the rings around us, the five people within Ring Eight stay silent, waiting for someone to make a move to attack as we continue to circle. Once. Twice. Three times, I quickly lose count of how many rotations we've made but she still remains far enough away to be out of my range of attack yet still a threat.
 

In a hurried movement, Nada darts forwards, her white and green striped top blurring as she launches a fist at my head, missing only just as I twist to the side to avoid it and in return, swat her arm out of the way, landing a rather solid round kick to her now exposed side.
 

What I don't anticipate is how dizzy all the circling has made me as my center of gravity shifts and I stumble in a futile attempt to stay upright.
 

I land on the polished floor with a thud but quickly scramble back up to my feet, turning just in time to drop back down and dodge the fist that would have surely made contact with my solar-plexus and ended the fight immediately.
 

I shake my head to clear the last remaining dizziness and quickly dart underneath Nada's still outstretched fist, hooking one of my feet around the heel of her front foot and using the momentum I have from my crouched run to pull her feet out from underneath her, giving me the chance to center myself and reassess the situation.
 

As she clambers back to her feet, we fall back into our natural fighting stances and resume our starring match from where it left off.
 

Unlike before, her hands are steady and do not even twitch from their relaxed guard, all her nerves seeming to have been left ring-side with how comfortable she appears in the midst of our battle. Her eyes are steady and her pupils no longer shake. She remains calm and the realization of how much I have underestimated the girl actually scares me slightly.
 

I had never been this wrong before, especially when it came to someones fighting ability. Not counting Lay.
 

"Come on Avery!" I hear one of my Warriors yell from the stands. I pay them no attention, not even bothering to identify the voice as I focus on the newly realized threat before me.
 

In reaction to a spontaneous thought, I sprint forwards, covering the length of the ring in less than a second. I anticipate the foot that is out to stop me and am able to avoid the fist that follows through as soon as both feet are on the ground by a hairs breath as I carelessly twist around her and send a quick jab at her kidneys from the side.
 

Without even properly regaining her balance, Nada crumbles to the ground, holding the area I punched with one hand as the other is thrown out to stop her face meeting the floor. To her credit, she does not give in to the pain and snaps her head up to keep her eyes on me. A smart move on her part as she rolls out of the way of my incoming fist.
 

Still clutching her side, she shakily begins to raise herself from the ground, glaring at me from between the strands of hair that have escaped her low pony-tail.
 

She exhales audibly as she fully stands, lowing her hand from her side with a wince. I don't give her any more time to adjust to the pain as I attack with a series of kicks and punches, putting into practice the endless drills my three trainers tortured me with.
 

She avoids most of my attacks but has to block a few as she begins to tire and her arms begin to go numb from my endless strikes. Without her noticing, I subtly back her into one of the ring corners and continue to attack as she unknowingly backs closer to the fluorescent tape.
 

Taking note of what I'm doing, Eric hurridly moves the waiting competitors in the neighboring ring away from ring-side just in case one of us does end up flying outside of our boundaries.
 

Nada's eyes flicker to him upon seeing him move and this gives me the distraction I need to throw my last few techniques, the series Baekhyun drilled me hardest on with the excuse of it being his favorite and very effective if executed properly.
 

I slam the heel of my open palm into her solar-plexus, knocking the wind out of her and forcing her to bend over as she gasps for air. With her bent over, I drive a knee into her stomach, winding her further and wrap my arm around her neck, trapping her in a headlock with no air in her lungs.
 

She struggles for a few seconds, still gasping slightly before attempting to use her one free hand to return the favor and punch me in the stomach, the other arm in the clutches of my other hand, preventing her from reaching me. In a fluid movement, I release the head-lock at the same time I grab her swinging arm and shift her into a rather painful shoulder-arm lock.

 

Obviously, I didn't hit her hard enough. 
 

It doesn't take long for her to start whimpering and I hear her breaths begin to stutter as tears form in her eyes.
 

"Just surrender," I whisper, encouraging her to give up and relent under the pain I am enforcing on her.
 

"No," She half cries, a few tears dribbling out and she struggles to break free. I tighten the lock in response, putting more stress on her shoulder and elbow joints as her arm is forced further into an odd angle.    
 

"You surrender and I'll let you go," I continue to encourage, becoming the Devil on her shoulder. Almost literally.
 

"No," She cries again and is somehow able to free her other arm with all her wriggling, taking the opportunity to drive her elbow in to my stomach and loosen my hold enough to escape with an extra punch to the kidney as she darts to the other side of the ring, leaving me crouched in the corner.
 

Oh, Touche.
 

I stand and approach Nada, a small wince in my every step, the throbbing pain from her reasonably accurate hits increasing with every step I take. She'd managed to hit the same area with each hit, leaving me with one extremely sore spot rather than lots of small and slightly sore areas.
 

Trails of tears drip down her cheeks as she clutches her shoulder and while I do feel bad for the amount of pain I have inflicted on her, I am unwilling to surrender, leaving us with no choice but to continue until someone calls the match or she gives in.
 

The effect of her harsh glare is lessened by the convu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter