044

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's near to an hour after I ordered two of my Warriors into their cards for the day, their fighting escalating beyond what would be considered normal between them and reaching a point where I was scared they were going to hurt each other.

 


After the initial shock and sadness had worn off, we had finished gathering everything and had started our short treck through the forest behind our campus home.

 

"Are we nearly there yet?" Tao whines, almost tripping over another tree root.

 

I refuse to indulge him with an answer and instead continue onwards, making sure not to make the same mistake Xiumin had earlier when he forgot to duck under one of the lower hanging branches.

 

I break the tree line and stare in wonder at the sight before me, even though I've seen it many times before, it never seemed to lose its majesty.

 

The grove had obviously been apart of a park in earlier years if the crumbling wooden table was anything to go by. In the Spring when I first discovered it, the trees provided an emerald umbrella from the beaming sun, however, in the dimmer light of the Winter, the thick branches have taken up the leaves job.

 

A small stream ducks out from between two trees, running through the left side of the clearing, the clear water running smoothly over its rocky floor. The usually green grass is faintly dusted in white with the remnants of the morning frost, yet there's a patch roughly the size, perhaps a bit smaller, of both blankets we had brought along, almost as if the grove itself is inviting us to spend our time within.

 

"Wow," I hear Baekhyun whisper and as I turn, I see him staring in awe, mimicking the rest of my Warriors behind him. Even DO, who has accompanied me here many times, looks on with eyes wider than normal and a small upturn at the corner of his mouth.

 

I grin as I gesture for them to enter the serene space, placing the small bag I carry on the ground in one of the less frosty patches. Chanyeol and Kris copy me and with a wave of my hand they join the others in exploring the hidden treasure they hadn't known was so close to home.

 

Even as I rummage through the bags, laying out the blankets and pulling out containers of food Xiumin and Lay prepared the previous night, I take the time to observe my Warriors as they wander in a trance-like state around the clearing.

 

Xiumin is kneeled down by the stream, a hand in the water as a few of the small river fish kiss his fingertips. Baekhyun seems kind of lost as he follows the tree line around in an oval, Chanyeol following diligently behind him as their every step melts the frost and resonates heat. DO gazes up at what is easily the tallest tree bordering the clearing, pressing his hand gently against the bark as he traces the many etchings from those who had been there before.

 

Kris and Lay lie side by side as they stare at the sky, or what little could be seen through the branches, almost as if they're cloud watching, murmuring to each other in Chinese. I giggle as a small ring of wildflowers begin to sprout around Lay's head in his relaxed state, acting as a halo as the healer fails to notice his abilities acting on their own to revive the dead flora.

 

Tao is easily the most amusing, seeming to dance around the meadow as he snaps pictures of whatever he can, from flowers to the other Warriors, to the frost that still clings so desperately to the grass blades.

 

Seeing that they're all distracted, I begin taking a few photos of my own, making sure to get all the boys in some way, getting as many moments captured as I can before I'm noticed by Baekhyun who frowns at me with his hands on his hips and a teasing glint in his eyes.

 

With one last photo of the Warrior himself, I put my phone away and lie back, embracing the serenity.

 

Once their curiosity is satisfied for the moment, the boys all convene on the combined picnic blankets, subconsciously leaving space for two extra people as we momentarily forget that two members of our group are missing, yet as we notice there are only a few frowns as we accept their absence and a few words from both Xiumin and Kris remind us that it's their own fault that they're not with us.

 

A few curious birds fly down from the tall branches and their heads at us, asking silently if we'll be kind enough to feed them and continually come back for more as we repeatedly tear small chunks of bread and throw a few crackers in their direction.

 

The remains of our feast are tucked away back into their containers, even as the birds come back for their next fill, a small pile of cucumber is dumped into one of the smaller containers with a grimace as a completely unashamed Baekhyun looks at it as if it's the embodiment of the Devil.

 

"Come on Kris! You've got to actually try!" Xiumin yells cheekily as he kicks his soccer ball towards the stoic Warrior, the small game coming to a halt as he places a foot on top of the now muddy ball and stares at the Water Warrior blankly.

 

Without a change in his expression, he shoots out a foot and kicks the ball towards the makeshift goal opposite him, scoring as Chanyeol fumbles to stop it from passing between the two stick they stuck vertically into the ground.

 

"Nice!" Baekhyun yells, moving into high five the still stoic Warrior, chuckling as he wanders off to retrieve the ball from beyond the frozen Chanyeol.

 

"Not that goal, that one's ours!" Xiumin screeches in disbelief as DO face palms and Tao giggles at his foolish friend.

 

"Oh," Kris states blankly, looking at the goal he just scored in, although the small twitch in his lips alerts us to his amusement.

 

Their game continues and they don't seem to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter