038

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

". . . . "


All other words in the dictionary seem to retreat through a black hole as I repeat the same word continuously, just as I have been for the past few minutes as I pace the length of the back porch.
 

My Warriors watch on worriedly as I continue to pace, following me with their eyes as they stay seated on the outdoor furniture, letting me work through whatever's making me react the way I am.
 

Finally, I pause and shut my eyes, breathing deeply and rhythmically as I retake control of my emotions.
Once I feel I am back in control, I glare down at the book resting on the small table where I had put it.
 

After having fallen out of the tree and hitting Chanyeol square on the head, shocking him both emotionally and physically, I let my annoyance be known to the world as I yelled, picking up the book and placing it where it was now, still yelling profanities the entire way.
 

That god damn ing book and its fan-ing-tastic timing.
 

In less than a month I have the mid-year assessment tournament, all the time between now and then will be used as training for both rounds I have to compete in and studying for Daesung's spontaneous tests.
Now is not a great time to get a new Warrior.
 

ing book.
 

"Um, Avery-" Kai is hushed by Xiumin, the elder knowing how volatile I am when my emotions are high strung and although it looks as though I am calm, and I do feel calm, I could snap at any moment.
 

"Avery." Lay makes his way over, approaching me like I'm a terrified animal that would either bolt or rip his face off at any movement I deem threatening. The second action is highly plausible.
 

Cautiously, he places a hand on my shoulder, turning me so I'm facing him and he can hold me by both shoulders. He begins running his thumbs up and down the sides of my neck, rhythmically tapping the rest of his fingers as he proceds to calm me with his abilities.
 

Sensing I am back in near full control, he smiles gently as he returns to his seat, hand lingering on my shoulder as he passes me.
 

The crackling of sparklers startles several of us as the book, or the Warrior waiting within, becomes impatient and tries to gain my attention, pressing for me to open it's worn pages and claim the card within.
 

"Avery, you know I'm not one to force you into doing things, in fact, none of us are, but you need to claim that card and quick." Chen pleads, his bottom lip caught tightly between his teeth as he waits, presumably for some form of negative backlash.
 

"I know, I know. It's just the timing, it could not have been worse." I sigh heavily, plonking myself gracelessly on the ground.
 

"We know the timing's bad but it's going to get worse if you don't claim the Warrior soon. We can feel your presence when the book appears to you, he knows you're there and he will most likely be more difficult to work with than Kris and Lay when they were first bonded if you wait any longer." Xiumin reasons, knowing exactly how much I hated how those two had acted at first.
 

"I know Xiumin, it's just, I don't know." I sigh heavily again. "I guess, I just don't feel emotionally stable right now, I don't know if I can handle dealing with a whole new Warrior this close to the tournament, especially if their like Kris or Lay, not to mention the episode I had not even a few days ago."
 

Kneeling down beside me, my first Warrior clasps my small hands between his larger ones, a soft smile on his pink lips.
 

"How about this, you bond to him and then we'll take over everything from there like we did when you couldn't speak?" He offers.
 

"That's just it Xiumin, I don't know if I can even handle bonding to him," I admit, tears beginning to cloud my eyes.
 

"We'll be right here beside you to help, you won't have to say a word or do anything but handle the book. I promise." He reassures, glancing around the rest of my Warriors as they nod in agreement.
 

"Besides, most of us are attached to one or more specific Warriors in our group, I'm sure they'd explain everything anyway." Tao pipes up.
 

"So basically you and Kris, DO and Kai, and Chen and Chanyeol?" I ask, curious about the new information I am receiving.
 

"Pretty much." DO shrugs, leaning back into the couch cushions.
 

"Okay." I exhale shakily, forcing away the tears that still linger in my eyes, and push down the uncertainty creeping in the forefront of my consciousness, the familiar feeling of my mental breakdown from a few days ago creeping closer to the forefront of my mind.
 

Standing, Xiumin offers out a hand and helped me up from my kneeling position, leading me over to the book as the crackling grows louder the closer I get to it. He steps back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter