039

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I blink, my eyelids heavy, as my mind slowly wakes from its forced slumber.


Everything is bright, too bright, it's as if a packet of highlighters have exploded in the room and to further enhance its brightness, someone is shining a flashlight directly into my eyes.


Not to mention the killer migraine.


I clench my eyes shut, cringing as I still see the bright colors behind my lids, before slowly prying them open again, letting them slowly adjust.


Turns out, highlighters have not exploded in the room but a small beam of sunlight streams through a gap in the thick curtains and directly on to my face.


Sunlight. My mind slowly processes the word. Sunlight, sun, day. Daytime! !


I shoot up and grab my temples in pain, the world spinning, black dots form at the corner of my vision and I can feel myself swaying.


What happened?


Taking a moment to concentrate, I think back to the last thing I remember. I was watching my Warriors fight each other, Lay won, Chanyeol knocked the book out of a tree, I summoned a new Warrior and he wasn't like Kris or Lay. After that everything goes black.


The small click of my door opening rattles around my skull and turns my attention to the cause of the offending sound. Standing hesitantly in the doorway is DO, a wooden tray carrying a steaming bowl of what smelled like chicken soup. 


"Hey, it's nice to see you awake." He smiles faintly, cautiously moving further into the room, placing the tray down on my dresser before shutting the door quietly. He seems to notice the small beam of light and silently shifts the curtain, blocking it from entering.
 

"DO, what happened?" I whisper, my voice sounding too loud as it echos through my brain. "I remember summoning a new Warrior and shaking hands with them but then everything goes black."
 

Sighing softly, he takes a seat on the edge of my bed and fiddles with his fingers as he explains how I had suddenly started panicking and had collapsed as not even Lay could calm me with his abilities. I had been out for the entire night and half of the day after that.
 

Sighing heavily I adjust myself on the mattress, tapping my fingers agitatedly as the silence drags on. "I made you some soup if you feel up to eating." DO whisper, motioning to the tray still sitting on my dresser.


Nodding, I motion for him to bring it over so that I can eat and quietly thank him as he does so. Slowly I sip the steaming liquid, the taste exploding on my tongue in a soothing and pleasant way.
 

Our comfortable silence is interrupted by a small knock on my door before it cracks open to reveal both Lay and Xiumin, both of who enter with as little noise as possible and join DO at my bedside.


"Nice to see you awake, Avery," Xiumin whispers, patting my leg as I continue to sip at my soup.


"How's your head?" Lay asks as he moves to place a gloved hand on my temples, noticing my small flinch as his expression turns to one of sympathy.


"Pounding," I state simply, the spoon moving back up to my lips as I try to ignore his fingers pressing lightly against my throbbing temples.


"That's why we're the only ones allowed up here, we figured you'd be in a lot of pain and wouldn't be able to handle the others." DO explains, taking the now empty bowl from my lap, placing both it and the spoon back on the tray.


"How did you know?" I ask, squinting as I try to keep my vision in focus. "Personal experience," Xiumin replies simply, chuckling as he seems to recall an amusing memory.


"It's sometimes a side effect from prolonged exposure to my abilities, kind of like a concussion," Lay explains further, biting his lip as he gazes at me apologetically. "Good news is that with some strong painkillers and sleep the pain generally tends to fade after a few hours."


"So I'm going to be pumped up on painkillers again?" I ask, sighing at the thought of having to go back to taking tablets with every meal to relieve my pain.


"Sadly. However, I'm going to give you a sleeping tablet as well so that both will take effect at the same time and you should be pretty much back to normal by the time you wake up." Lay comforts, holding out two pills, one a light pink, the other white and slightly larger.


A loud thump from downstairs followed by a small bout of yelling causes me to flinch violently, head thumping as my stomach tries to crawl up my throat. Quicker than I ever thought I could, I swipe the pills from his hand and down them with a gulp of water from my ever-present blue bottle.


"I'll go down and sort them out. See you when you wake up Avery." DO waves hesitantly as he leaves the room, the yelling suddenly silencing at the sound of his footfalls on the stairs.


"Well, we did warn them." Xiumin chuckles as he glances towards the door, Lay nodding in agreement as he helps my shift further down in bed and gently tucks me in as my vision begins to fade again.


"Goodnight Avery." They both whisper as my eyes slide shut and I drift back off into sleep.


 

 


When I wake again a few hours later, it's pitch black outside and the house is silent. Three in the morning is a rather ungodly hour to be awake and moving through the house.


My bladder cries desperately for release as I shuffle towards my bathroom, thankful that every room has their own, I don't think if I could have waited if I had too.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter