053

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nothing could have prepared me for the sheer enormity of the Second Year gym and although I had only a fleeting glance into our own First year gym, I can tell that this place is easily twice the size and height of our now miniaturized indoor training area.


Rings are marked out with fluorescent tape on the floor and the stands positioned against two of the four walls are filled with students of all year groups, some with banners and others chanting at the top of their lungs for there friends or family.
 

On the wall directly opposite the door is a small raised stage with four tables all marked with a number between one and four, presumably where the match results are recorded, if the official looking people with gold bands around their biceps indicates anything.
 

From where I stand, I can count seven rings, each with their own three officials in gold armbands, a small red cloth-covered table off to the side of each ring with the ring number tacked on the side tells me what ring is which and a scattering of papers and pens on top assures me that if I get lost and end up at the wrong ring, they'll know.
 

I approach the staff-manned table by the door and state my name and year group, waiting as they run down the endless list of names to find my own and direct me to the ring I will be competing in.
 

I wander around for a few minutes, lost, as I attempt to find ring number 8, eventually finding it near the middle of the large expanse.
 

Currently, the eight-meter by eight-meter ring is occupied by a pair of second years, their fists flying towards each other and their legs hacking mercilessly at their ankles in a poor attempt to drive the other to the ground.
 

Finding no interest in the semi-sloppy fight, I make my way up into the stands and find a rather large deserted area at the top of the set relatively close to my ring. Summoning my Warriors I point out where I will be and begin to stretch, ignoring the glares and sneers the light of their summoning had warranted from the students sitting below us.
 

With some difficulty, I keep my muscles warm and chat with Tao as I fill the ten minutes I have left, listening to each call over the speaker system for my name.
 

"Lee Avery and Kang Nada, report to table eight for your match!"
 

"Finally," Chanyeol mutters, annoyed by all the stares and glares we were receiving for simply existing.
 

I lower my leg down from the stair rail and bounce lightly on the spot, looking to my Warriors who give me several thumbs up and smiles of reassurance as I take a deep breath and begin to make my way over to my ring with a nervous smile back at them.
 

Beside to the table, a girl, presumably my opponent, stands wringing her hands together nervously and flickering her eyes from side to side, following each person who approaches until they move on to another ring. She seems jumpy and shy but appearances can be deceiving.
 

She catches sight of me approaching and her eyes widen upon seeing my dark and fierce appearance, her lip is quickly caught between her teeth and she fiddles with the small silver ring on her finger as she watches me stroll closer, dodging the less than polite students who insist on standing in everyone's way.
 

"Are you Lee Avery?" She asks as I come to a halt next to her. She speaks quietly and refuses to make eye contact as we wait for the officials to come and deal with us.
 

"I am. You're Kang Nada, right?" I reply, attempting to be polite to this skitterish girl who I've never seen before in my life yet she already seems terrified of me.
 

Oh, the joys of the rumor mill.
 

"I am," She stammers, sending aside long glance towards me before quickly looking away as I connect with her gaze and smile at her.
 

"I've never seen you around, what class are you in?" With nothing better to do, I continue the almost one-sided conversation.
 

"You don't need to tell her that Nada," a voice that reminds me of nails on a chalkboard sounds from behind us, the girl waiting at the ring beside ours interrupts Nada as she goes to answer. The look Nada gives her is one of terror and I already know exactly how they know each other and it's not as friends.

 

Her hair is poorly bleached and tipped with a splotchy black, while her clothes give the impression that a packet of highlighters threw up on her. She stands with her hip cocked out to the side, and a stick of blue gum is rolled around between her lips.
 

I hope she chokes.
 

"But, we're just talking," Nada mumbles, confused and intimidated.
 

"Yea, you are now, but she's just trying to information out of you so that she can torment you later," Blondie replies, still obnoxiously chewing the Smurf-colored stick.
 

"Just ignore her," I mumble, more to myself than anyone else but Nada obviously hears and takes my advice as we both turn our backs to the now pissed off Blondie who begins to run in an attempt to regain our attention.
 

"God, please let her be my opponent for Warrior battles," I pray to the heavens as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter