066

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I realize telling them is no easy task.


The walk back from Seunghyun's office is solitary and quiet. Many people are out enjoying the brief respite from the constant drizzle and bustle about their business in tank tops and shorts. Every park I pass on the way is full of people and not a patch of shade is unclaimed.
 

I ponder exactly how to tell them, I debate just making a passing comment or two to the elder Warriors who would no doubt question me and then pass the news on to the younger few, But I scrap the idea, not wanting to come off as uncaring about my mental state and probably cause them to worry more.
 

Momentarily, I consider not telling them, unable to come up with a clear answer as to how I should bring up the topic in order to confide in them. I pause and take a minute to sit on one of the roadside benches, anxiety starting to set in as the large three-story house comes into view at the end of the street.
 

As I gaze upon my residence, the small voice in the back of my head pipes up from where ever it hides and begins whispering to me. With what sounds like a sneer on its nonexistent face it assures me that my fears are all too real and that without a doubt, every bad scenario I've managed to imagine will come to pass.
 

My Warriors will hate me for keeping a secret like this from them, they'll never trust me again. They'll believe that I'm too weak to be their Summoner, that I can't look after myself let alone them as well and they'll leave me, I'll be alone again.
 

Alone.
 

I bring my feet up onto the bench, my head between my knees, I steady my breathing and begin some of the breathing exercises Seunghyun taught me after finding out about my frequent attacks.
 

Inhale. Pause. Exhale. Repeat. Inhale. Pause. Exhale. Repeat.
 

As I breathe, I monitor my pulse with two fingers pressed against the veins on my wrist, and the beat remains steady and even. I feel a slight sense of accomplishment as I realize that I've finally managed to stop myself from having an attack for the first time since they developed.
 

A shuddering breath leaves my parted lips in a sigh and even as I lock the disembodied voice away in the dark corner it crept out of, a small niggle at the forefront of my mind makes my fingers twitch and tap instantly.
 

I lower my feet and take another few minutes to convince myself that everything will be fine, that the voice is only a manifestation of my anxiety and fear, it's not real and therefore doesn't know anything.
 

Just for good measure, I do as Seunghyun instructed I do whenever it comes up and picture a face for the voice, a featureless face but still a face none the less. I then imagine a fist and punch it in the mouth at full force, shattering the visage and giving myself immense satisfaction.

 

Unable to come up with an answer to my difficult predicament after a while longer, I consult my good friend google, one of the only applications that actually work within Nocte boundaries.
 

While my engine search of 'The best way to tell someone a secret' isn't exactly the most specific search, a surprising amount of sites actually give good advice and although most examples the creators use are about depression, adoption or teenage pregnancy they're still helpful in regards to my rather different situation.
 

Even with a clear thought plan in place and a calm mind, I make my way home at a pace that even Gran would be able to pass me at, my body feeling sluggish and heavy as I drag my feet and scuff my shoes along the pavement, hands deep in the pockets of my denim shorts and playing with a loose thread within.
 

I grasp the doorknob tightly and inhale deeply before entering, quietly shutting the door behind me and I slip off my shoes before making my way deeper into the house, passing through the empty living room and abandoned kitchen to the back yard where shouts and loud bangs slip through the open doorway, the noise too muffled to be coming from either floor above.
 

A small shower of dirt hits me as I step out, leaving small marks on my white shirt and making me close my eyes to protect them. I wave my hand in front of my face to dispell any lingering particles before re-opening my eyes and taking in the sight before me.
 

Sprinting through the yard, my Warriors run from each other, launching small-scale attacks at those they come across before retreating in the opposite direction, never once coming into physical contact with anyone but themselves.
 

"Hide me, Avery!" Chanyeol yells as he ducks his large frame, crouching awkwardly to fit behind my much smaller frame.
 

I stammer and splutter as I'm held in front of him, forced to play human shield for someone who can quite clearly protect himself against some unknown attacker. However, the attacker's identity doesn't remain a mystery for long as DO stops short a few steps ahead of my trapped form, fists clenched and brows furrowed.

 

"Chanyeol, stop being such a sissy and hiding behind Avery," DO says, not needing to speak any louder than his normal tone due to the proximity between the two.
 

"But I don't wanna," Chanyeol whines, crouching further behind me in a futile attempt to hide better. "You're just gonna kill me if I come out."

 

Tilting my head to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter