075

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Song Junki, twenty-two years old, a first-year student and member of class HYW1."
A photo of a vaguely familiar man is brought up on the screen, the 3D image rotating slowly as his information runs continually in a section beside it. The man is what some might consider handsome, by Korean standards he may have fallen slightly short but by no means was he ugly.   In the image displayed, his long black hair is tied back, a few wayward strands falling in front of his deep brown eyes. His nose is slim and rounded at the end, his ears littered with piercings and a small tattoo stains the skin behind his ear. The silhouette of a young girl holding a red balloon, obviously holding some form of sentiment for him, but no one would ever know what it represented.
  Not now. Not ever.
  Song Junki was murdered. On-campus. By a Demon.
  Song Junki was the unfortunate victim whose soul was ripped from his body and his remains used as a meat suit for the ghastly creature of the night to attack without fear of the sun or detection.
  Song Junki was my attacker.
  "You didn't know him?" Park Jinyoung, one of the older Instructors and the staff Jaebum had called asks me.
  I shake my head in denial. "I didn't know him."
  "You didn't know him," Jinyoung repeats, rubbing his chin as he paces the room.
  I run my fingers through my hair and risk a glance at Jaebum next to me. He looks half asleep, lulled into drowsiness by the constant rotation of Junki's photo.
  Jinyoung continues to pace. I bite my fingernails in worry. We've been here for three hours now and we've only gotten as far as the fact that I did not personally know the man who lived next door to me for more than half a year.
  According to one of the women sitting around the table, Junki hadn't been attending class for the past two months but no one had noticed because his introverted and reclusive personality meant he had no friends who were around enough to notice his disappearance. A member of his class said he would vanish for a week or two at a time and then be back as if nothing happened so no one thought anything more of his lack of attendance.
  The women didn't look like she was out of high school yet, let alone an instructor at Nocte but you can never judge a book by its cover. Especially not here.
  A total of twenty people are crammed in the room with me, Jaebum being only one of four that I know beyond a passing glance, the rest, strangers demanding I put my full faith and trust in their hands when it comes to my safety. Yet I could do that perfectly fine with my Warriors.
  My request for at least one of my Warriors to remain present had been denied and I was too drained to even attempt to fight the decision. But that left me in a room of strangers and full of nerves, with nothing and no one to even attempt to stall them.
  As an extra assurance, the cards belonging to those others present were placed in the corner of the room beside my own, none of us able to physically reach them without notice. Yet I do not doubt that if they wanted to summon someone they could all do so without the physical use of their cards.
  If I could do it, I'm sure the higher members of staff could as well. Just like Daesung and Seungri, two staff on the younger side of the age spectrum.
  I know Amber, Eric and Henry can, although they appear half-asleep and rather uninterested in the conversation now that we've started going around in circles. I'm almost positive Amber is asleep.
  "You didn't know him."
  "I swear to God if you say that one more time I'm going to slit your throat," Jeon Yoon-Jae, growls, his nails biting onto the polished surface of the tabletop. A murmur of agreement sounds from around the room and Jinyoung stops pacing momentarily.   "It's odd you know," He begins as he scratches the back of his neck. "Why now? From what we've gathered in the house, the Demon had been just next door since almost the beginning of the school year, so why now? Why only now when we were about to induct you? Why of all times, now?"
  Jaebum rises from his laid back position and rests his elbows on the table, face in his hands and turned towards me. "He does have a habit of repeating himself, doesn't he?"
  I tilt my head in his direction and raise my eyebrows, a subtle sign of agreement.
  "Well, you better get used to it, now that you're one of us and all." Jaebum takes his cap off, runs his fingers through his hair and replaces the cap on his tousled head.
  That's right. I'm one of them.
  The campus, with all it's warding and protections still could not stop every threat from entering and the Council of Five know that. This is why a team within the school, made up of only Staff and promising students is formed to keep an eye on things from within the grounds.
  Although they missed the most recent threat, I'd hate to think of what else they have prevented this year.
  Jaebum had been on his way to deliver my letter of invitation when I was attacked, the second envelope he insisted on holding onto I hadn't looked at yet. After, he'd promised, after the meeting.
  I had been given a brief rundown on what the group did within the school and signed the contract with very little hesitance when it was presented. The nameless group watched students, staff and visitors for suspicious activity, guided visitors around and helped run a security detail out of the eye of the general student body.
  All I had to do for now was wear a ring and wait for a summons. But that won't be arriving until the current situation is sorted.
  "Why now?"
  "Dammit, we don't know why now so sit your down and let us all put this together Jinyoung!" A man I have yet to put a name to yells, slamming his hands down on the table and pointing at the pacing man
  Jinyoung sits and we return to the impossible jigsaw puzzle that is the attack.  
 
  No conclusion comes from the meeting.
Seven hours and nothing to show for it.
  No one understands why I was attacked at that specific time nor why I was the target and so a security detail had been assigned to me by the Staff. Two Warriors stationed in the woods behind my house each night and at least one of my Warriors with me at all times. That wasn't something they needed to enforce.
  Jaebum had finally given me the second envelope he promised and, although curious, I discarded the paper on my desk in favor of almost overdue assignments and a well-deserved nap.
  It's not until I wake the next morning after that I remember his second letter and abandon my half-eaten bowl of cereal, spoon halfway to my mouth, and bolt upstairs to retrieve it.
  Something tells me I should read it in private and not generally one to ignore my gut instincts, I shut the door to my room, sit on my bed and tear open the seal.   Dear 'Not a stalker',
  For now, I'll take up the offer to remain anonymous, although I have a feeling that we'll be meeting face to face soon.
Yes, I am aware of the offer Seunghyun made and received the same offer, however, with your trauma being much more recent than mine, I figured I would let you begin our correspondence if you ever wanted to that is.
  I am a Second Year and as such live in the South quarter of Campus, on Taikaha Lane to be exact. My house sadly does not have any special features like yours does, but I do have a pool that is frequently used and one of my Warriors is rather diligent in keeping up a flower garden. The others don't mind what the garden looks like as long as one of the spare bedrooms remains clean enough for them to dance in.
  My neighbors are both in my class and it is rather annoying to have to see them constantly outside of class, although one of my friends does live directly across from me. The two beside me are just idiots, one's a meat sack with no brain and the other is a ditz.
  I have two full decks of Warriors. O
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter