048

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The walk to the main building is lonely, the rules for the day coming in to effect as soon as I leave the property, putting a temporary halt on my timetable and leaving my Warriors even more frustrated, especially Baekhyun and Chanyeol, both now having to wait an extra two days for their turn.


As much trust as they have in me, they've made it clear that it's the other students they do not trust. As per our normal routine when a new Warrior appears, everything that has happened from Xiumin's claiming to the point they arrive at is shared, and so far, none of them have taken a liking to Seungri or anyone else who attends Nocte.
 

No surprises there.
 

However, after attending class with me and actually seeing first hand how everyone acts, they've become paranoid and over-protective to an almost unbearable level. Xiumin and Kris being the worst, especially when it comes to Seungri, which is mildly understandable since the forced battle with Kim and the events of my first day.
 

But this is a new level of protectiveness and concern that I have never seen from the Spirit Warrior, as he walks me to the door, everyone else has returned to their cards upon my instructions, he stays close enough for us to occasionally brush arms, although neither of us acknowledge it.
 

Calmly, he gives me instructions such as 'don't talk to anyone' and 'go straight to the auditorium'. While it's nice to know that he actually does care and is even better to see him showing it, this is starting to get ridiculous.
 

I release a heavy, relieved sigh as Kris has no choice but to return to his card, my feet meeting the concrete of the footpath and the usual sniper-like eyes begin to peer out of the windows of the lodgings around me, waiting for a false move on my part.
 

I walk silently down the path and keep my eyes locked ahead of me, ignoring the presence of the few fellow first years also walking in the same direction.
 

Despite living here for since September, I have never seen as many students out and about as I do now, the usually small groups scattered around have grown in size and seem to merge with one another as I'm only able to recognize a few faces amongst the ever-growing crowd.
 

Slowly, the large swarm trails into the massive school auditorium and I find myself stuck somewhere near the middle, trapped between a group of first years I vaguely recognize and a smaller group who look to be third or fourth years, stars, varying in number, pinned securely across the left side of their chests.
 

It takes time, but eventually, we all make it into the room, filling in the rows of chairs and sitting with our year groups, as told by the teachers and instructors lining the walls.
 

A loud buzz fills the room, everyone trying and failing to contain their anticipation for the day ahead, most of the noise coming from the far back and the very front where the First and Fourth years wait restlessly.
 

Suddenly, the lights dim until a single spotlight and the safety lighting on the stairs are the only things allowing us to see. Everyone grows quiet, only the occasional cough or scuffle of feet disturbing the high-strung silence as we all wait for something to happen.
 

A young man, looking to be in his early-to-mid twenties walks on stage. His casual attire confusing us as he looks to be nothing more than a student with his ripped grey jeans, white shirt, and red leather jacket.
 

"Hello everybody, and welcome to this year's annual Mid Year Assessment Tournament!" He yells, throwing his hands in the air for dramatic effect as all confusion is drowned out by the growing excitement.
 

"For those of you who do not know me, I am Kwon Jiyong, the overseer of Nocte Academy and I guess kind of the Principle as well?" He introduces, phrasing his last words more as a question as he scratches the back of his head. "Let's just go with that."
 

He regains his confident composure and continues, "For those of you who have gone through the tournament before, you know how the day will run, however, for those First years who haven't participated before, here's how things will go." 
 

"Firstly, you all should have read the rules posted in your mailboxes this morning, if you haven't there will be a list hung up at each event location and in the main hall. Secondly, those who are caught breaking any of the rules will be punished. The punishments can range from disqualification to notifying parents, to temporary suspension and so forth. It all depends on the severity of your act."
 

"Every match will be against someone in your year group, however, they may not be from your class. Every match will be supervised and run by at least three instructors and scored by a panel of teachers from every year group, meaning there will be no bias scoring and all matches will be run fairly and the same. You will not see these scorers or know who scored you for the same reasons."
 

Jiyong, Principle Kwon, Jiyong? Whatever his name is, continues explaining the rules, repeating everything that was on the sheet and adding in a few new ones as well, before spending a few minutes answering questions, mainly from First years, he then moves back to the center of the stage from where he has drifted and looks to someone hidden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter