Wish upon a star

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s Diary

Turn of events, I’m still here, I’m still with Eun, my beloved husband, who has yet to wake up. I’ve officially become his woman now, and though I do not want to admit it, I’ve been waiting for this to happen, for a very long time.

But, am I doing the right thing? Now that we’re all in this together, there’s no turning back. Will I disappoint Eun? Will he be disappointed if I fail to give him a child? Will I be disappointed in myself? What if there’s no happy ending for both of us if we stay together? That all the good times we wish for, is nothing but fleeting dreams?

I’m afraid that all these will happen soon, and yet at the same time, I know I should at least hope that heaven will bless our marriage. We’ve been through ups and downs together, Eun and I, surely our marriage is destined to happen, our bonds are destined to be made, but why do I keep having this feeling that something’s out of place?

Is it me? Or is it Eun? I just wish that he will be happy, and that I won’t be the one stopping him from getting that. But, like what he said, I can’t constantly worry about what might happen and miss the precious moment in front of me now. I’ll try to, I really will.

It still hurts, a bit, but it’s not as bad as my period cramps, luckily. The feeling truly is magical, there’s no way to describe now pleasant it felt. Pleasant, not because of what we did, but because of the message we conveyed to each other, that I love the prince as much as he loves me, that there’s nothing in between us, nothing that can separate us. Eun was so considerate last night, I can feel that he really loves me as much as he claims, and though he was a bit clumsy, he’s still my one and only husband – the best gentlemen in all of Goryeo.

Clumsy, yes, will be the word I use to describe what happened last night. Eun thought he knew everything, but I suppose he didn’t – to be frank, maybe I should be happy he’s clumsy like that. Like what he said, it means that he’s inexperienced, that I really am is first one. I still have yet to experience the greatest satisfaction yet, but I believe in my husband. Practice makes perfect. Oh gosh, I’m blushing hard right now.

I suppose I must go to him after this and see if he’s still alive. Jokes, he seems very exhausted – I hope he didn’t catch a cold, we were in the rain last night, he dragged me out into the rain, thinking he’s some kind of hero. Speaking of which, I should apologize to Yuju for messing up her party, I should also file a complaint to the hotel for sending my letter in advance. But is it their fault? I wouldn’t say so. If Eun is destined to stop me from leaving, I suppose the letter wouldn’t have made much difference.

Oh, he’s awake now, gotta go.

 

Eun’s diary

My whole body aches. It’s a miracle I can walk at all this morning. I guess I must’ve used up all my energy last night. Soondeok’s taking it easy, if I hadn’t known any better, I’d say she likes it a lot!

I don’t think I can write anymore, my arm is burning like mad from writing this. I’m starving now, hope Soondeok will come in with breakfast soon.

--------------------------------------

‘Deok ah~ My arm aches…why are you making me do this?’

‘Because it’ll help your arm ache less.’

‘Carrying books will help my arm ache less. Well, that just makes perfect sense, doesn’t it?’

‘It’s either this or running lapse.’

‘Deok ah…my legs ache too…’

‘That’s why you should move them more today, Oppa! Aigoo, look at you…and you said I won’t be able to leave the bed for 3 days…seems like you were referring you yourself when you said it.’

‘That’s because I did all the work, Deok ah! It’s not fair!’

‘Work? You call that work?’

‘Well, for someone who hates to exercise, yes!’

‘That’s why I keep telling you, you should keep your body in shape, Oppa!’

‘Well, if you’re so confident, why don’t you do it yourself, huh? See how well you can brag after that!’

‘You think I won’t? Fine, deal! Don’t you dare move a muscle when it’s my turn. Now, enough talk, lift the books higher.’

‘Honey…my arm hurts…’

(Eun keeps whining like a little boy, he puts the books back on the floor and sits down, unwilling to move anymore. Soondeok sighs as she sits next to him.)

‘Does it really ache that much?’

‘Still hurts…it aches…’

‘Well, when my muscles ache from working too much, father and I would jog around the house the next day – then I’d take a warm bath and all the aching would vanish.’

‘Really? Well why didn’t you say so? You should’ve mentioned the bath part earlier.’

‘You didn’t ask.’

(Eun gets up)

‘Where are you going, Oppa?’

‘Out.’

‘What for?’

‘To jog! And after that, we can take a bath together~ Want to jog with me?’

‘Wa…one moment you’re pouting and whining and the next you’re asking me to jog with you…just daebak, Oppa, daebak.’

‘Come on, let’s jog before the sun gets too hot.’

‘Oppa! You can’t just jog like that! You need to do stretches first! Ya, Oppa! OPPA!’

----------------------------

(After the jog, just as Soondeok and Eun are heading for bath – someone enters their residence)

Yuju: ‘I see you’ve found your lover, sir.’

Soondeok: ‘I…Yuju ah! Oh gosh!’

(Soondeok runs up to her, Eun follows half-willingly)

Soondeok: ‘Oh Yuju ah. I have to apologize for what happened last night, I really am sorry about it.’

Yuju: ‘Oh Onni, don’t be. It was a memorable birthday for myself. But…last night…did you and the prince have a quarrel? Why would you want to leave him?’

Soondeok: ‘Just…something happened, that’s all…’

Yuju: ‘Look at you two, looking so sweet together! Oh, by the way, Onni, friendly advice, next time don’t use the same excuse, everyone will know.’

Soondeok: ‘What excuse?’

Yuju: ‘Trying to sneak out of the hall and want to get some fresh air. Come on, Onni! Who uses that excuse nowadays?’

Soondeok: ‘So…you knew then already, didn’t you? As expected, you’re clever.’

Yuju: ‘Anyways, I’m so glad things worked out for you two. I should leave now. I just came here to give you back the stuff you’ve left behind in your room.’

Soondeok: ‘Thank you so much. Any news about your marriage?’

Yuju: ‘Father’s been meeting people…don’t care…don’t mind…I wish I’d be as lucky as you, Onni, to be able to marry someone I love.’

Soondeok: ‘Do you have anyone you love?’

(Yuju looks at Eun then smiles)

Yuju: ‘Nope. Not really. Anyway, I should leave. I see your husband’s waiting for you.’

Soondeok: ‘Oh, hold on a sec! Your highness! Come over here!’

(Eun walks over, Soondeok says to him between her teeth)

Soondeok: ‘Oppa…at least say you’re sorry for what happened last night.’

Eun: ‘Why?’

Soondeok: ‘Just do it.’

Eun: ‘Kkkmm…I…Sorry, lady, for what happened last night. It was…very rude of me. My apologies.’

Yuju: ‘Don’t be sorry, I enjoyed the drama between the two of you myself. Now, I really must get going.’

Soondeok: ‘Thanks for dropping by.’

(Yuju leaves. Eun complains)

‘Deok ah…why do I have to apologize to her? She made fun of me last night.’

‘Still, she’s a kind girl, Oppa. Besides, she was just trying to lighten the mood last night, be a good boy and try to be considerate, okay?’

‘She called me a toilet cleaner…’

(Eun pouts while looking down. Soondeok holds Euns hand)

‘If you are one, you’d be a handsome one~’

‘You mean it?’

‘Of course! Oppa, how do you feel now?’

‘Like what you said, my arms and legs don’t hurt as much now.’

‘Let’s take a bath, let the warm water do its job.’

-----------------------------------

(Night, Eun playing his flute while Soondeok’s reading in their room)

‘Oppa, you should sleep now, you’ve been playing on it for so long. You play any longer, you’d have blisters on your lips, on your beautiful lips.’

‘My lips are fine, don’t you worry. Just a bit longer, Deok ah. I’ve almost mastered this…’

(Soondeok smiles as she goes over to open the window, letting the summer breeze fill the bedroom)

‘Wow! The moon looks so round tonight! Oppa! Oppa, come look! Oh! A SHOOTING STAR!!! Oppa!!! Come!!!’

‘Hm? Where where where?’

‘Darn it…you missed it, Oppa…’

‘Did you see it?’

‘Oh yes I did! It was spectacular!’

(Eun holds Soondeok’s hand together and looks at her)

‘Deok ah, wish for something.’

‘What?’

‘You saw it, didn’t you? Come on, wish for something fast!’

‘L-like what?’

‘Anything you want to wish for.’

(Soondeok shuts her eyes and said a little prayer, then opens her eyes again)

‘Done~’

‘Good.’

‘Oppa, want to go outside? The view would be much better outside, and we can see the stars better there. Who knows? Maybe there’ll be another shooting star for you, Oppa!’

‘Sure!’

(Both of them sits on the steps outside, gazing at the stars and the moon above. Soondeok rests her head on Eun’s shoulder, holding his arms.)

----------------to be continued