Oh, so it's my fault?

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(After breakfast – Eun says as he wipes his mouth clean)

‘Soondeok ah, come and meet me in the guest room after changing.’

‘Changing?’

‘I picked out a dress for you, you’ll see it when you go to the dressing room.’

‘Wait-’

‘See ya!’

(Eun leaves the room, Soondeok tilts her head to a side, full of questions)

------------------------------------------

(Soondeok walks into the guest room, Eun’s been waiting for her)

‘Deok ah! Come over here!’

(Soondeok lifts her dress up and waddles around)

‘Your highness…this dress…it’s too…too…’

‘Beautiful?’

‘Too heavy and girly…can’t I wear something more comfortable? I’m not used to wearing dresses like this…’

‘You’ll need the dress though…it’s for my gift.’

‘Gift?’

‘Didn’t you see it? It’s in this room!’

‘This room?’

(Soondeok looks around and sees a painting on the wall)

‘Wow! Your highness, this painting looks lovely!’

(Eun smiles and shakes his head)

‘Not this.’

‘It…it’s not?’

(Soondeok searches the room with her gaze)

‘Ah! This small pot of flowers! Man, it looks so pretty!’

‘Not that either.’

‘Oh…um…Ah! This mirror?’

‘No! It’s right there! On the table, Deok ah!’

‘Table? Ahhh…a new tablecloth! Is this silk? Oh it’s so pretty! Did you get it from the merchants?’

(Eun facepalms hard and picks up the pair of silk-shoes, waving it in front of his wife)

‘THIS ONE!’

(Eun kneels down to help Soondeok wear it, Soondeok sees Eun slightly lifting up her dress and quickly jumps backward)

‘What are you doing, your highness?!’

‘I’m helping you put it on, Deok ah…Stop overreacting…’

‘Oh…S…sorry.’

(Eun helps Soondeok change into the new pair of shoes)

‘So, what do you think?’

‘It fits, your highness.’

‘Good. Comfortable?’

‘Yes…’

‘Like it?’

‘Oh…oh yes! Very…very much! My, it’s just what I needed!’

(Eun stands up and looks at her)

‘You don’t sound like you do.’

‘Oh no, your highness. I really love it, really.’

(Soondeok smiles brightly at her husband – it’s not the gift that she likes, the but fact that Eun had bought it for her. A servant comes in.)

‘Your highness, you have a guest.’

‘Guest? Tell him to come in.’

‘Yes, your highness.’

(Jongdae comes in cheerfully)

Jongdae: ‘Your highness!’

Eun: ‘Jongdae! My! It’s been a long time!’

Jongdae: ‘Yes, your highness! How have you been? And your lovely wife is here too!’

Eun: ‘I’ve been fine. Deok ah, remember Jongdae my friend? Come on, say hi.’

Soondeok: ‘Hi…Hello, Mr. Jongdae. I’m Park Soondeok, 10th prince’s wife.’

Jongdae: ‘Yes yes yes, long time no see. You’re prettier than last time we came over, my lady.’

Soondeok: ‘That’s too kind of you, sir.’

(Eun coughs)

Eun: ‘So, what brings you here my friend?’

Jongdae: ‘Our clinic is having a charity sale this afternoon, I was wondering if you would like to come and help out. We need more people to come and give us a hand. We’ll also be giving out rice to the needy too-’

Soondeok: ‘Really? Sure!’

(Eun tugs on Soondeok’s hand and whispers)

Eun: ‘Deok ah. I thought we have a date today!’

Soondeok: ‘Your highness, can we go, please? I’ve always wanted to go~ I have too many dresses in my wardrobe, ones that I’ve only worn once…I want to give them out to those in need instead of keeping them here.’

Eun: ‘But…’

Soondeok: ‘Please~ My dear husband, please?’

(It’s the first time Soondeok does aegyo in front of Eun since the incident, so Eun agrees)

Jongdae: ‘Great! See you all later today! South market is the place, just outside our clinic. You know the way.’

Eun: ‘See you there!’

(Jongdae leaves)

‘Ya, Deok ah, I bought those dresses for you!’

‘Not the ones you bought, your highness, I won’t give out those. Just the ones my father bought for me when I was a little girl. And the many accessories too…I have no use of them, I don’t really need them, so why don’t I give them out or sell them and the money can be given to charity?’

‘Well…if you insist. I suppose I too have a couple of toys I can…give out.’

‘I love you, your highness!’

(Soondeok hugs Eun)

-------------------------------------

(End of event, people leaving gradually)

Soondeok: ‘Your highness! Here you are!’

Eun: ‘Oh Deok ah, you’re here! How did it go over there?’

Soondeok: ‘Awesome! We sold out – everything!!! I just gave the money to the person-in-charge.’

Eun: ‘Really? Daebak! You’ve worked hard today, Deok ah.’

Soondeok: ‘You did too, giving out rice bags. I saw you, and there’s not a single moment you took a break. Truly amazing~’

Eun: ‘Well, it’s nothing for me really. I’m just responsible for giving them out…’

Soondeok: ‘Oh, I need to go and tell the servants and maids to leave now, they’ve been working hard too today. I’ll be back soon, stay exactly where you are. Don’t leave!’

Eun: ‘Okay.’

(Soondeok leaves. Kyungsoo, Jongdae and Chanyeol finds Eun.)

Jongdae: ‘Your highness, thank you for helping out today!’

Chanyeol: ‘Jongdae told me you came, I wouldn’t believe it until I saw you. It’s nice seeing you here, your highness.’

Eun: ‘Just doing what I can for the community. And your performance?’

Kyungsoo: ‘Thanks to Chanyeol’s music, more people came than we anticipated.’

Chanyeol: ‘Ayyyy, not really, it wasn’t solely because of me. Many people came for you to draw their portraits didn’t they Kyungsoo-yah?’

Jongdae: ‘Anyways! I really am thankful all of you can come and help today. We’d be able to build another clinic thanks to you guys. Really am very grateful to all of you.’

(Jongdae bows)

Eun: ‘Jongdae ah, we’re friends! This is what friends do for each other, right?’

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo: ‘That’s right.’

Chanyeol: ‘Ah! Your highness, your birthday is coming soon, right? Let’s have a night out together on your birthday, just all four of us.’

Eun: ‘Well…’

Kyungsoo: ‘That’d be really nice. I need an excuse to have some time alone…my wife’s been getting real emotional these days. Staying with her in the house is a nightmare…’

Eun: ‘Why? Did you do something wrong?’

Kyungsoo: ‘No, it’s that…she’s pregnant and she’d get upset all of a sudden with no reason-’

(Kyungsoo sighs as Jongdae and Chanyeol nods in agreement)

Jongdae & Chanyeol: ‘I know how that feels.’

Eun: ‘Didn’t you say you’d stop having kids? You said that last time…you said 4 was enough.’

Kyungsoo: ‘I did say that…but…you know, it just happened…’

Jongdae: ‘Ah wae? You seem depressed, bro. Brighten up man, we’re here for you!’

Chanyeol: ‘More the reason we need to meet together then! We can drink till we go crazy!!! I’ll make reservations for us then, same old place like last time, hm?’

Eun: ‘But…’

Jongdae: ‘What’s wrong, your highness? Ah~ I get it! Oh don’t worry, your highness, we won’t keep you away from your wife for too long. I know you’d like to, you know, have an exciting evening on your birthday~’

(The boys snickers as Eun trying his best to deny it)

Eun: ‘No no no no. That’s not what I meant-’

(Just then Soondeok comes over after doing what she’s left to do and sees them.)

Kyungsoo: ‘Ah, your wife! Lady Soondeok, would you mind if we borrow your husband on his birthday? Like, take him out for a drink or two in the evening?’

(Soondeok looks at her husband. Eun looks back at her, hoping that she’d say no.)

Soondeok: ‘Of course I won’t mind!’

Eun: ‘But Deok ah!’

Soondeok: ‘Your highness, just because we got married, doesn’t mean we have to spend every second of the day together. I’d like to have an evening with mother as well, just the two of us.’

(Eun pouts slightly)

Chanyeol: ‘Great! Then it’s set! Oh, got to go, I promised my mother I’d be back for dinner tonight. My sister’s coming over with her husband.’

Kyungsoo: ‘I too have to go before my wife gets mad at me and make me sleep outside again, I promised her I’d bathe the kids.’

Jongdae: ‘Oh please do go. There are still several things I’d need to finish here before going back. Stay safe. You too, your highness, thank you for coming here today.’

Eun: ‘Thank you for inviting us.’

(The boys leave one by one, leaving Eun alone with his wife.)

‘Well, my dear…why did you say yes?’

‘Why not? They’re your friends, who am I to stop them?’

‘You know I can’t drink…what if I get drunk? What if I mistakenly think another woman as you and kiss her, huh?’

‘Oh your highness, I’m sure you won’t. I have faith in you.’

‘Aish…’

(Silence)

‘You…you really won’t mind?’

‘Of course not!’

‘Well…then we’re good, I guess.’

‘Have plenty of fun then, okay? Well well well…what a lovely sunset…So, are we going home?’

‘It’s too late for us to go to the restaurant now…my reservation was long due…yeah, let’s go home.’

(Eun holds Soondeok’s hand, fingers interlocking – and walk back to their home together, enjoying the sunset and the early night sky)

-------------------------------------

Eun’s diary

Plan ruined. I planned out everything for today, lunch picnic then night market stroll then a nice dinner at the hotel, but there’s a sudden change of plan. I guess it wasn’t that bad, we can go next Friday, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m still a tiny bit upset.

I think today is the first time I participated in a charity event. At first, I wasn’t too looking forward to it, but after helping out today and seeing all the happy faces on people who’ve received our aid, I just feel so full of joy! Is that why Soondeok likes it? Her smile today, so sincere, so pure, so bright. She really is a kind person, a very kind girl indeed.

There’s only one thing that made me sad, I overheard something as I was giving out rice bags today. Two ladies were chatting and I heard them talk about Soondeok, saying how she’s clinging onto me and not letting me go. Saying how she’s not allowing me to get another wife, blah blah blah. Seems like grandpa went around everywhere finding a second wife for me and everyone in town knows about it. Gosh, what am I going to do? I hope she didn’t overhear their talk.

 

Soondeok’s diary

I didn’t know the prince had so many friends! The charity event was so much fun! A lot of people came and we’ve raised enough money to build another clinic! How awesome is that? I’m glad I took part in it. The prince’s friends all seem nice, I don’t remember seeing them but they certainly remember me. Did the prince invite them over once and introduced me to them? Not likely, he doesn’t like to talk about me. But I think I read about it somewhere in the diary…

I saw some of the girls today, their fathers work in the palace like mine and we used to hang out together. Well, we didn’t hang out, we just sort of met up whenever there are events in the palace. We’re not close, but we’d say hi and bye evertime we meet. Did they not see me today? Is that why they didn’t say hi to me? Oh well, there is a lot of people there so I’m not surprised.

By the way, I found a new book on the shelf just then, I think I can read a bit before going to sleep, the prince will take some time to shower anyway. I’m used to sleeping with him on the same bed now, but I’m always nervous when night comes, I never know when he’ll get impatient. Should I just pretend to fall asleep? Anyways, better start reading now, this book seems super interesting!

---------------------------------------

‘Wow! What a nice bath…’

(Eun looks at the desk but Soondeok’s not there)

‘Soondeok?’

(He turns to look at the bed, Soondeok’s there already, sleeping…well, pretending to be that is. Eun sits on the edge of the bed, looking down at his beautiful wife.)

‘Deok ah, you’re asleep already?’

(No response. Eun looks at her and says quietly.)

‘How can you look so beautiful, Deok ah? That’s illegal…now I want to hug you so badly…’

(Soondeok pretends not to hear it and remains motionless, but her heart’s bouncing like mad. Eun bends down to kiss Soondeok, but stops just before his lips touching her cheek. He smiles.)

‘You don’t have to pretend, Deok ah. I won’t do anything to you tonight.’

(Eun straightens up again as Soondeok slowly opens her eyes)

‘How…how’d you know I wasn’t asleep, your highness?’

‘You never sleep with your arms under your pillow while facing the wall. Never. And because I heard you moving as I was coming into the room.’

‘Oh…’

(Soondeok sits up)

‘You don’t have to worry, Deok ah. I won’t make you do something you’re not comfortable with, okay?’

‘Really?’

‘Why? You want me to just do it? Hm?’

‘No…’

(Silence – Eun stares at his wife while Soondeok plays with her nails, not knowing what to do.)

‘Well! Let’s sleep, it’s getting quite late.’

(Eun lies on his back, exhausted)

‘Uhh~ Gosh what a tiring day!’

‘I wanted to say this to you, your highness…’

‘Sure, what’s wrong?’

‘Nothing’s wrong. It’s just that…I want to say…to say thank you, for going to the event with me today. I know you don’t like going out with me, as a prince, you don’t do things like this…but, thank you for coming anyway. Thank you, your highness.’

‘Don’t say that, Deok ah. Thanks to you, I got to know more about my country today.’

(Eun laughs at himself)

‘Stupid…not my country…I mean…’

(Eun sighs)

‘I’ve never helped anyone…I’ve always been asking for help, asking for someone to bring me this and that, to do things for me. But today, it kind of opened my eyes. Today, I realized that not everyone live a comfortable life like I do…I wonder if His Majesty knows about it…he ought to do something to help the poor too, he’s the king.’

(Silence, Eun shakes his head.)

‘Ehhh, who am I to talk about politics? Ya, Deok ah, blow out the candle please…Let’s sleep.’

‘Ah wait! I need to put the book back.’

‘What book?’

‘This book, I was reading it when I heard you coming in…’

‘Ya, to be honest, Deok ah, why did you pretend to sleep in the first place?’

‘I…I just thought…’

‘And you’ve read this book before, aren’t you bored?’

(Soondeok looks at him)

‘Ah right…you’ve forgotten that you’ve read this book before…right. Oh whatever. Just leave the book here on the bed, I can’t be bothered moving out of your way. I used up all my energy today – I want to sleep.’

‘But you’re quite sensitive to dust…I can’t have you sneezing all night long because of this. I’ll put it back on the table. Just wait a moment. Would you mind bending your legs a bit, your highness?’

(Soondeok tries to leave the bed but Eun moves his legs up and down to stop her from climbing over them)

‘Try going pass this!’

‘Your highness! Stop it~’

‘Why? It’s fun!’

(Eun continues to kick his legs in the air, blocking Soondeok’s way out at the end of the bed. Soondeok’s left with no option but to move to the head of the bed a bit more.)

‘Nope~ Sorry, can’t pass through here~’

(Eun uses his arms to stop Soondeok from leaving as well)

‘Ya, your highness~ You’re so childish! Stop it already~ I thought you said you’ve used up all your energy!’

‘I guess not then!’

‘Your highness!’

(Soondeok keeps trying but Eun won’t let her pass. Eun sticks his tongue out.)

‘Hahahaha, I win~ Guess you’ve been away from your warrior life for too long, huh? Now you can’t even get pass me! HA!’

(Soondeok blows her hair out of her face in anger then sits right on him. She pins Eun’s arms on the pillow beside his head while stopping his legs from moving with her legs)

‘Ya, Deok ah, that’s not fair!’

‘Guess I still got it, hm?’

‘Aish! Watch me!!!’

(Eun squirms about, trying to move his limbs in protest, but Soondeok pins them down even harder. Eun smirks a bit as an idea flash across his mind.)

‘I guess some things never change.’

‘What do you mean, your highness?’

‘You like this position, don’t you? You’ve always liked it, being on top.’

‘Hmm?’

(Soondeok’s grip slightly loosens. Eun sees this as his chance so he quickly straightens his arms and since Soondeok’s been holding onto them, her body slides forward and her face lands straight on Eun’s face, a kiss too unexpected. Soondeok tries to push herself back up, but Eun wraps his arms around her waist, not letting her get backup, he then sits up and carries Soondeok out of bed, face-to-face.)

‘Boy, why’s it harder to carry you this way?’

‘YA!!!!’

‘Stop getting so jumpy or I might drop you!’

‘Ya! Your highness! Put me down!!!’

‘Urgh, I’m using my last bit of strength tonight to carry you, Deok ah.’

‘Put me down!!!! I didn’t even ask you to-’

‘Just, just put your stupid book on the table already! My arms will break soon!’

‘What? Oh, right.’

(Soondeok puts the book down on the table, she can feel Eun’s arm shaking as Eun walks back to their bed.)

‘Your highness, please put me down now, I don’t want to break your bone.’

‘Uh…Okay, I get it!’

(Eun lets go without alert and since Soondeok’s still got her arms wrapped around his neck, Eun falls face-down straight onto the bed, Soondeok taking the fall.)

‘Your highness!’

‘Why did you pull me down?!’

‘You should’ve told me when you’re letting go!’

‘Oh, so it’s me again? Am I supposed to apologize?’

‘What do you think?’

‘Ya, Deok ah! Aren’t you a bit too much?’

‘I didn’t tell you to carry me, if you’d just let me walk out of the bed in peace-’

‘Are you saying that it’s my fault I fell on top of you and it’s also my fault that I now get to see your y face up close and feel your heart beat on my chest which is making me want to lose control over you – who is unexceptionally beautiful tonight, is that right?  You want me to apologize for that?’

‘Yes! Wait…what?’

(Soondeok starts to feel the weight coming down on her, she tries to wiggle her way out, but this time, Eun won’t let her. He touches his wife’s face.)

‘Your highness!’

‘Shhh, you don’t want to wake everybody up.’

‘What…what are you going to do then? You said…you said you won’t do anything-’

‘I just want to look at you…like this.’

(Soondeok gulps hard. Silence, as both of them stares at each other, their hearts racing faster and faster. Soondeok shuts her eyes as she prepares for the worse to come.)

‘That’s enough for today. Kmm…aigoo, my back…’

(Eun finally stands up again and stretches himself as Soondeok moves back to her place and pulls the blanket all the way up to her head.)

‘Good night, your highness.’

‘Uh.’

(Eun blows the candle out and slides into the blanket)

‘Good night, my darling.’

(Silence. Soondeok’s been thinking, thinking real hard. At long last, just before Eun’s fallen asleep.)

‘Your highness…I’ll let you.’

‘Hmmm….What? What did you say?’

‘I’ll let you…I’ll give you everything…my everything…when it’s gone.’

(Eun’s half-asleep by now, he’s not even sure he heard it right)

‘When what’s gone?’

‘I don’t want you to see it…’

‘See what?’

‘My scar…the day it’s faded…I’ll let you.’

‘Sure…whatever…’

(And like that, Eun falls into a deep sleep)