We Met

In The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Lena! You ready to go?? We have to be there around 5pm. That’s when the devils bbq starts” Nana unni shouted walking in my room. “yeah, im ready…I hate this, do we have to go? They’re just gonna talk about us again and praise their kids in front of us like always. We’re going just to get insulted.” I crossed my arms roughly sitting down in my computer chair.

“you know we have too… if we don’t we’ll make mom and dad look bad,” Nana said looking herself in the mirror. “I don’t understand why we have to dress up either. Its stupid! Its just a family bbq.”

“we have to at least look nice while they  indirectly insult us right?... come on, get up lets go. Mom and dad are already waiting outside for us,” unni cracked a small smile while pulling me up. “…alright…” I gave up and followed her out.

Who are the devils you ask? Lets just say that the devils are on my dads side of the family and hes my dads younger brother. In other words, my uncle and his witch of a wife and their egotistic children. They are always so fake especially around other people. Their such s. I don’t know why they think they’re better than us. Is it because they have a bigger house? Expensive cars? Money? I will never understand why they are so arrogant. And that’s the worse part, they are nosy as too! The nerve of these people! Seriously!

When my family got there, my aunt opened the door with a nice big smile and greeted us.

“oh look whose here finally! Hey guys!” she greeted. “hi auntie!” me and my sister greeted back with a big fake smile. Ugh I cant believe im hugging this woman! Now I have to disinfect my body when I get home!

“come on! Your cousins are in the backyard!” She led us to them. “hey kids, look whose here! Nana and Lena!” she shouted to her kids. “wassup!” they smiled. They arent happy to see us. Its all for show. The night just went downhill from there.

When it was finally time to go home, I was the first to leave out of the house and waited in the car without saying goodbye. To any of them. My parents and sister got in the car and no words for the first few minutes of the car ride home.

“oh. my. God! Seriously!” I finally burst. “this did not feel like a bbq whatsoever! This felt like a police investigation!” mom and dad chuckled from the front. “why is that?” mom asked. “they wanted to know if I worked, how much im getting paid and where!”

“that’s not bad” dad calmly replied. “its not but the thing is im 14! I don’t think im old enough to work yet!” I crossed my arms. “i think your over thinking this a bit aren’t you?” dad commented. “you don’t understand appa… I think these people you call your nieces and nephews are just a bunch of bullters” I huffed angrily. “hey now! I think you need to cool down.”

He asked mom to get his wallet and gave me some money. “whats this for? You’re not bribing me to like them are you? cause its not going to work!” I looked at the money that was dangling in front of my face as mom was holding it. “of course not. I just want you to return to normal and not be mad. So just take it and ill drop you off in your favor place in the entire world”

“hey, I want money too!” Nana complained beside me. “She gets money for being angry at our cousins and I get nothing?? That’s not fair!” Nana pouted to dad in the rear view mirror. “alright nana you get some too. Where’s your favorite place?” dad asked her. “… mmm.. shopping!”

“I figured” dad smiled. “are you gonna take the money or what?” mom said still dangling the money in front of my face. “my arm is getting tired.”

“fine…” I mumbled taking it from her hands. “…thank you…” I whispered stuffing it in my pocket. “hey Lena, think about it this way, its not like we see them everyday. Just for major holidays or when they wanna do something.”

“that’s right!” dad added. “don’t try to make me happy” I grumbled as dad stopped the car at my favorite place in the world. “we’re here! Nana, take care of your little sister alright? We’ll see you guys at home” Dad smiled unlocking the door for us to get out.

Me and Nana waved until they drove off and turned around to walk a few more feet to my favorite place in the world.

“hey, im gonna go see some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter