A Voice

I GOT IT (GOT7)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Cora already had tears welling in her eyes. MinHee could talk. MinHee could talk? How long has she been able to talk? How long has she been keeping this secret? God, she must have felt so alone.

“As most of you know,” She started, and Cora let out a sob. Some people shifted to look at her as she reached to cover , turning to find MinHee’s parents hunched together in tears. “I have been struggling with my vocals for a few years now. It’s a little odd for me to be speaking here. I don't know where to start, but I was scared.” A screen lit up behind her, showing a picture of her in a surgical gown with a sorrowful smile on her face. “I was afraid that this surgery would not succeed.” The picture switched to one of her and Jinwoo. She looked like she was laughing at him, and he was winking at the camera, one arm thrown around her and the other outstretched to hold the camera. “But here I am speaking once again, filled with joy and hope.” Again, the picture changed, to one of her, Jinwoo and Bambam. She and Bambam were both laying in her hospital bed and Bambam was kissing her cheek.

Cora gasped. Bambam had known? How long? How long had he and Jinwoo known? “I want to apologize to everyone for keeping this a secret until now, especially to my parents, Jae bum oppa, and  Cora.” Cora felt betrayed, extremely betrayed. But what was she supposed to really do about it? He best friend in the entire world could finally talk again, and it was her who had told her to give up on the idea.

“Cora, babe, maybe you should sit down.” Mark offered, and Cora tore her arm away from him.

“I know I should have included you guys in my journey, but I wanted this to be a surprise. I couldn’t tell you and give you hope and then not have recovery. And I meant to keep this all a secret and have my journey alone but I felt that Bambam was someone I could count on at the time.” It flicked to a picture of the mirror writings she had made that one day, presumably the day she went into surgery. And it was zoomed in on Bambam’s. “For those of you who cannot read Thai, I told Bambam I was sorry, that I was in surgery and that if he told Cora I would rip his throat out.” The crowd laughed. “It doesn’t really say that. So Bambam was the only person who was supposed to know,” A spotlight fell on Bambam, who waved innocently at the crowd. “But Jinwoo saw me sitting in front of the hospital, and I couldn’t hold in this burden.” A spotlight fell over Jinwoo, and he nodded.

“Jinwoo and Bambam, I want to thank you for being in this journey with me. I was very thankful to not be alone during the obstacles, and then there is Ryu, who kept the secret after reading the notebook that Jinwoo and I used for our conversations. I left it in his car, and he thought I was having a plastic surgery procedure for my chest.” The crowd laughed. “He then promised me I was perfect already. Thanks Ryu. And lastly,”

A spotlight fell on the last person. “Jinyoung oppa,” Jr.? She told Jr. over Cora? Cora was impressed. “It was last minute but thank you for the lecture. He heard me arguing with Jinwoo, and came to tell me that he thought I was selfish, that I was hurting those I love for my own reasons. And he was right. I’m sorry Jae Bum oppa. I know you tried to get me a doctor every chance you got. And I’m sorry Jackson oppa, that you had to learn sign language for no reason.” She smiled. “ Also, thank you Jinyoung oppa for everything else for this performance. He helped me immensely with the choreography. I wanted to show you guys just what I could do.” The crowd began to clap. “Now enough talking and let the final performance begin.”

She began to sing, and beat began to seep into the space. Everyone was on their feet, everyone was clapping, and the four on stage began to dance, and clap, and trick. Cora was in awe, JB was moved to tears, and Jackson couldn’t move. She could talk. She could talk. None of them could believe it.

Cora was bawling. Mark stood and wrapped his arms around her, holding her from falling, and she clasp onto him, apologizing for being so stupid, but he shushed her and pet her hair, watching the stage like a hawk.

It felt like the performance was over too quick, especially since MinHee had the voice of some angel. But the second it was nearing it’s end, Jackson leapt over his seat and moved towards the exit. He wasted no time going back stage, pushing past the usher with little force, and standing behind the stage, waiting patiently for MinHee to exit.

And she did. After bowing immensely, and running her hands across the ones that were stretched towards her, she turned, took a few sips from her water bottle, and started backstage.

Bambam was the first to make it off the stage, and his eyes immediately found Jackson. And he began apologizing. “I’m so sorry hyung. She asked me to keep it a secret and it didn’t feel right for me to-”

“I don’t care Bambam.” Jackson sighed.

Please log in to read the full chapter