The Gala

I GOT IT (GOT7)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hello mother.” Cora said in English with a bubbly manner. “It’s so wonderful to see you again! Ah, it’s been too long.” She released Jackson’s arm and moved in to kiss her mother on either side of her face. Her mother smiled brightly as she turned to her step father. “Henry!” She cried, not too loud, but happily. She threw her arms around the man and kissed his cheek. “I’ve missed you.”

 

“I’ve missed you too, poppet.” His accent was thick. “And who is your friend?” He asked, looking to Jackson. Jackson felt less hatred from the stepfather.

 

Cora took a step back. “Mom, Henry, this is a very dear friend of mine, Jackson Wang.

 

Her mother offered a fake smile. “Mr. Wang, how nice to meet you.” She said, offering her hand.

 

Jackson looked at it awkwardly before realizing what was happening and taking the hand. “Just Jackson is fine, miss.” He said, raising her hand to his lips and awkwardly kissing her knuckles. Her mother smiled with approval. “If that’s alright.”

 

Her mother took her hand back. “Of course it is, my dear. As long as you’re,” She stopped and looked to his pants. The dropped crotch probably wasn’t formal, but Cora had okayed the outfit. “Comfortable.” She said the words with venom.

 

Henry offered his hand and Jackson took it. He shook hard. “Henry. So nice to meet you. I expect that if my daughter risked her neck to bring you here, you must treat her rather well.” Jackson nodded and looked to Cora, who offered a girly, and not quite Cora, giggle. “My my, your English is rather impressive, my boy.”

 

Jackson raised an eyebrow. “Thank you?”

 

“Of course,” This was in Korean. “You must understand many languages, being a national representative.” Henry grinned at this.

 

Cora even looked shocked. “I’m so sorry, I had no clue you enjoyed fencing sir.”

 

“Don’t sweat it.” Henry said with a grin, which earned him a look from Cora’s mother. “I do enjoy the sport very much. But I like any sport that tests one's skill. Did Cora ever tell you that I tried to put her in women’s polo? She hated me for it!” Henry laughed heartily.

 

Jackson’s lips twitched into a smile. “No sir, she never mentioned it.”

 

Cora’s mother sighed. “Henry, with his infernal sports talk. Where is that lovely MinHee you always bring with you, dear?” Her mother batted her eyes like if she did, MinHee would appear faster.

 

“MinHee couldn’t make it tonight because she is attending a music competition in Hong Kong this weekend. She won’t be back until Monday morning at the latest.” Cora nodded her head, and her mother sighed. “She sends her regards.”

 

Her mother inhaled deeply. “Well,” She breathed. “At least this lovely young man could attend with you.” Her mother turned and smiled to Jackson. “Leave it to my daughter to bring the only Asian in the city limits who plays fencing at a national level. Always out to impress dear Henry.”

 

“Excuse me?” Jackson asked.

 

Cora grabbed Jackson’s hand and squeezed it in her grip. “Yes, excuse us. I will see you when dinner is served.” With that, Cora turned and, tugging Jackson with her, retreated from her mother’s view. “I’m sorry, she’s completely out of line.”

 

Jackson frowned. “Is she like this with everyone?”

 

“Just people she doesn’t particularly like. I figured if I brought you, she would avoid us at all costs, but now Henry’s interested and that means he’ll seek you out to talk, which means she’ll follow. I’m so sorry. I should have just bagged Mark and dragged him here instead.”

 

Jackson’s frowned deepend. “Why didn’t you?”

 

Cora sighed and rolled her eyes. “I’m sorry Jackson. I didn’t bring Mark because I knew my mother would like him.”

 

“And that’s bad?”

 

“Very.” Cora put a hand to her forehead and sighed again. “This was a ridiculous idea. I didn’t even think it through. I thought that if I invited you, my mother would avoid us, and you and I could just have fun.”

 

Jackson crossed his arms over his chest. “So if your mom liked Mark, you guys couldn’t just hang out?” Cora nodded. “Why?”

 

“My mother would, knowing her, make a marriage proposal. That’s why I always bring MinHee. She could defuse the bomb that is my mother and get us out of there in an instant. We typically would hide in my room and listen to music until the butler came to get us for dinner.” She frowned. “We can leave now, though. I mean, I made an appearance-”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter