Ulterior Motives

I GOT IT (GOT7)
Please log in to read the full chapter

MinHee was sitting in the passenger’s seat of Jinwoo’s car with her phone in her hands. She’s distracted. We’ll be out of the apartment before noon, and shouldn’t be back until around six, but you know how unpredictable she can be, so be fast. She sighed. “Mark says everything is going as planned.”

 

“What do we even need from the apartment?” Jinwoo asked, staring at the road ahead.

 

MinHee sent Mark a text thanking him before shoving her phone back into her pocket. “I left her party dress in my room, and I was going to have Mark get it and set it in her room, but it’s in the closet and I have all my things in front of the doors so he’d have to do some minor work to get to it, and Cora would notice, so we’re going to do it while they’re at the movies.”

 

Jinwoo nodded and smiled a little. “This is sort of like when we were trying to throw you a birthday party, and Minwoo was sent as the distraction.” He laughed a little, but his smile faltered and he shook his head. “Anyways, what was it Cora’s mom is going to have us do?”

 

MinHee made a face. “You okay?” She asked, and Jinwoo immediately nodded. “Okay.” She said, dragging out the syllables. “She wanted us to do some last minute detailing, make sure that the caterer makes it on time since she’ll be gone, and then we need to make sure that the bouncer has the guest list.”

 

“Do we really need a bouncer? Or a guest list?” Jinwoo asked, and MinHee smiled. “Or is it just Cora’s mother going over the top.”

 

MinHee laughed. “I’d say the second option, but I’m just doing what I was told, so let’s hurry up and get there before Mark and Cora leave and get some stuff done.” Jinwoo nodded and turned the corner towards the party’s venue. The two wasted no time getting out of the car and moving to the venue. The second they were inside, the two were bombarded with a list of jobs they need to complete, since so many people hadn’t shown to help out.

 

Nick, who seemed to have the largest load on his hands, paused only for a moment to mutter to MinHee “And this is just the basics. Apparently, there is more work to come.”

 

“Wonderful.” Jinwoo muttered from beside her. “Well, let’s get started before we have to rush back to your apartment.” He pointed across the room to his brother and sighed. “I’d better go help him before he cuts his hand off with that ice pick.” He started across the room, shouting to his brother to leave Cora’s mother’s ice sculpture alone.

 

MinHee smiled a little as she turned to begin her work. The first job on her list was to ensure that the streamers and crepe paper were still intact, which was a simple enough job. Then she had to check all the tablecloths to make sure they were the same color, since, apparently, the tablecloths were dropped off in two colors. She couldn’t help but think about all the stupid things she’d do for Cora, even though the party was no longer a surprise.

 

Her phone buzzed, interrupting her work. She immediately opened the message. We’re leaving now. I don’t know how long we’ll be out, she’s sort of on a rampage. MinHee sent a message back asking why and what kind of rampage before shooting across the room towards Jinwoo and tapping his shoulder.

 

He turned and she pointed to the message. “Oh Minnie, I’m right in the middle of helping the guys with the stupid ice sculpture. Do you think Min can take you?” He asked, gesturing to his brother.

 

She hesitated. Of course it didn’t matter. She was so far beyond over him, she’d decided so months ago. It didn’t bother her to hang around his apartment with his brother, so it shouldn’t bother her to ride in the car with him, especially when the car is his to begin with. “Of course.” She said quietly.

 

“Great.” Jinwoo chucked a fallen piece of ice at his brother’s shoulder. “Loser! Do you think you can drive MinHee back to her apartment to pick something up?”

 

Minwoo held his shoulder and frowned. “Yeah, sure. What for?” He directed this at MinHee, who typed out a message about Cora’s dress. “Alright, let’s go.” He punched his brother’s shoulder as they left, calling him a punk and then following MinHee to the car. She was stiff the entire walk to the car, her stomach doing all kinds of twists and turns. They reached the car and Minwoo unlocked the doors. She slowly slid into the passenger’s seat and buckled herself in. Minwoo started the car and pulled out of the spot.

 

As the car started down the street, MinHee checked her phone. Something about wanting to get this stupid day over with and then she was muttering about some kind of dream or something. MinHee felt the urge to laugh, but Minwoo’s hand grazed her elbow. She leapt.

 

“Sorry! I was just shifting the gears.” He said, gesturing to the stick shift. MinHee had flattened herself against the door and, slowly, she nodded her head. She stayed like this for the rest of the ride. “So you and Jin have been pretty close lately, right? He’s always going over to do something for you.” MinHee nodded. “Tell me the truth, Minnie. Are you and my brother dating?” MinHee looked at him, surprised, since they’d already told him they weren’t. “I mean seriously. With how close the two of you have gotten, I don’t entirely believe it’s fake anymore.”

Please log in to read the full chapter