My Senior Year : Trouble Me

My Senior Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My Senior Year : Trouble Me

The moment Donghae and I got out of the school's front building, I saw Hyukkie waiting in the car with the windows down. He waved when he saw us descending the stairs, headed his direction.

"Get in" he said rolling up his window.

I rounded the car and opened the back door for Donghae to step in. He looked at me like he was hesitating. "Don't worry he won't bite." I giggled.

"Ha-ha-ha" Donghae's awkward laugh. "I understand" He kept nodding as he sat inside. I noticed that he would usually do that awkward Ha-ha-ha whenever he is nervous.

I got inside the car hurriedly. I'm excited to introduce Hyukkie and Donghae to each other. I hope they would really get along as well as I imagined so we can have a good time.

"Hyukkie..." I was sitting in front next to him. I turned to my side so I can see Donghae from the back as well. He slid a bit to the center so we can all see each other well. "This is Lee Donghae the one I was telling you about, so far he is my only friend here in school. We sit next to each other."

Eunhyukkie twisted in the driver's seat to get a better view of Donghae. He smiled and extended his hand to Donghae for a handshake. "Hello, I'm Lee Hyukjae, you call me Eunhyuk!"

Donghae shook Hyukkie's hand and replied shyly "It's nice to meet you. Please just call me Donghae" Donghae pulled away quickly, fixing his glasses on his nose scratching a spot near his eyebrows. He's still awkward! Gosh...

I know Hyukkie noticed it too. "So do you guys want to eat anything particular?" He asked as he started the engine.

"Well Donghae know this place where they serve doughnuts and ice cream. You're okay with that, right?" I asked.

"Of course. I'll go for anything sweet."

I saw Donghae's face lit up from the rear view mirror. I hope my effort in trying to make Hyukkie and Donghae engage in a conversation would work. I really want us to enjoy later on. "Hey Donghae, just give Eunhyukkie the directions as he drives, okay?

"Okay! It's easy to find and it's nearby. We can get there fast."

"You know Hyukkie, Donghae is a fan of sweets as well, right Donghae?" I said, keeping my eyes on the road.

"Yeah... I like sweets a lot. Sweet pastries mostly." I think Donghae is starting to relax with us now.

"I think I would like anything sweet. Cupcakes, cookies... Oh and strawberry milk! And strawberry pie" Eunhyukkie said excited. "Do they serve pie too?"

"Yeah they do, but not all the time. They serve pocket pies and crepe too, and coffee. It's actually both a cafe and dessert bar." Donghae replied.

I think it's working, they're starting to talk. "Oh guys, now I feel left out that I don't like sweets as much as you guys do! But I think I want to eat pocket pies with a glass of iced Americano!" Just saying it makes me feel hungry.

"Eww~~" Donghae and Eunhyuk said simultaneously.

"What!??"

"You'll have americano Sungmin?" Donghae asked "You're like my grandpa!"

What Donghae said earned a laugh from Hyukkie. "You know Donghae, Sungmin usually eats with his grandma. That's why Sungminnie usually prefers food that older people like." And they both laughed.

"Hey! Like I have a choice. I told you already Hyukkie, this will be my first time eating out with friends. Americano is fine. And besides I like ice cream too!" I defended my preference.

Donghae patted my shoulder trying not to laugh anymore. "Okay Sungmin, we will all have ice cream for dessert. I'll treat you guys because I'm glad that you asked me to go have snack with you and also because it's your first time going to eat with friends."

"Aw! Donghae-ah! I'd like that... Buy one for MinBunny too okay?"

The cafe Donghae suggested is perfect. It's very cozy. Students who are hanging out, people who seem to be very busy working on something in their laptops, couples dating, some girls that obviously went shopping, old men talking and laughing, the cafe was filled with many different customers but it didn't seem too crowded because the cafe was quite big.

We took a spot near the dessert bar. Settling for a round table good for four. Uh-huh... MinBunny needs a chair, it's his first time doing this too.

"So that is MinBunny huh?" Donghae said looking at MinBunny who was sitting right in front of him. He sounded confused. "And you had him inside your bag since this morning?"

I nodded, sipping on my Americano.

"He's twice the size of my head but how come I didn't saw him when I saw you open your bag so many times today?" He popped a bite size cookie in his mouth still looking at MinBunny "And he's pink"

"Yah... you say it like I'm too weird!" I faced MinBunny "Don't worry MinBunny, your color is perfect"

Donghae exchanged looks with Eunhyukkie as I talked to MinBunny. Hyukkie saw Donghae's questioning eyes "He's been like that since he's four." This time Eunhyukkie was the one who gave an awkward laugh. Eunhyuk said slicing his strawberry tart and taking a bite, he looked like he entered heaven. That was the last slice they have for today, lucky Hyukkie for getting it!

"I'm not bothered by MinBunny at all if that's what you think. It's just that I never noticed him when you were rummaging your bag earlier. Plus with Sungmin's boldness I never took him for a person who hides a pink bunny in his bag so well and talks to it too." Donghae said in between munching on his cookies and taking a big sip of his mixed berry smoothie.

"Well MinBunny is just so good at hiding. You see, he's too cute and he's scared that if someone sees him, he might get taken away and never returned to his loving owner." i reasoned out taking a huge sip on my drink as well.

Hyukkie, also taking a sip on his strawberry milk smoothie, enlightened the confused Donghae even more for me. "What Sungmin's trying to say is that MinBunny is scared to get kidnapped just like his owner" Eunhyuk took another bite of his tart and continued "MinBunny is really just basically the other Sungmin. Sungmin is brave and bold because he uses MinBunny to be scared for him." Hyukkie ruffled MinBunny's ear nearest to him. "It's through this cute bunny here that our Sungminnie expresses his own fear."

I nodded along with Donghae, agreeing to what Hyukkie said. He was right. Hyukkie knew me too well. We've been friends since I can remember and he witnesses everything I've been through. It's true. MinBunny is the other Sungmin. MinBunny is scared and sad to be left alone at home whenever I leave, but in reality it's just me scared and sad when my parents passed away. MinBunny hides well, when actually it's me who's afraid of being taken away again and never returning home. I am the brave Sungmin and MinBunny is the scared Sungmin. The feelings I don't want to feel, he feels for me.

"Are you okay Sungmin?" Donghae asked when he noticed me spacing out.

"Hey is it about what I said?" Eunhyuk peered at my face closely, worried.

"Huh?" I shook from my reverie "Oh sorry I spaced out. I was just thinking about what Hyukkie said. No need to worry at all, I'm fine with everything. Just like Hyukkie said, MinBunny is the other me as long as he's fine I'm fine too!" I gave a smile to assure them.

Donghae understood my situation well. "If that's so, then..." Donghae leaned over the table in order to get closer to MinBunny who was across him. "MinBunny, I want to thank you for always being there for Sungmin, he is what he is because of you!" Donghae said to MinBunny that made me feel touched. Donghae really is a nice person and I was really lucky to be fated to sit next to him. I'm very thankful.

Hyukkie suddenly thought of something, wanting to brighten up our conversation again "Hey we should totally click our glasses together and make a toast!"

It was a nice idea. "That's cool Hyukkie!" I said and raised my glass which was already half empty. "Who goes first?" I said when Hyukkie and Donghae raised their glasses to meet mine.

"I'll go first!" Eunhyukkie said. "To Sungmin, may you experience everything you want to experience now that you are finally a real student who goes to school and--" he laughed "May you get in trouble and get punished by your teachers just for the fun of it." Donghae laughed with Hyukkie

"Yah!" I faked being annoyed but gave up and laughed too "My turn! To my two friends Eunhyukkie and Donghae, I hope we can spend more times like this together. I feel sorry that I have no choice but have you as friends but I'm glad we bonded today." I contained a laugh "And may all your teeth fall off because you two keep eating too many sweets!" the laugh I was stopping burst.

"Hey no fair! All our teeth!?" Donghae jokingly protested.

"That's impossible I visit the dentist more than you Sungmin! See," he flashed his teeth at me. "Donghae, your turn now"

"Hurry Donghae my arms are giving out!" We've been holding the glasses together all throughout.

Donghae perched is glasses high on his nose and rubbed his chin. "Wait... I'm still thinking" my tummy hurts from laughing at our silliness. "Okay, I got one... To MinBunny... Hey he needs a glass too." Donghae said to me.

Hyukkie scratched his head still laughing. I used the glass of water Hyukkie asked for earlier and raised it with my free hand. "There."

Donghae cleared his throat and began again. "To MinBunny, thank you for giving us a brave and happy Sungmin and..." He scratched a spot near his eyebrows "Uhm... and stay as pink as you are!"

"Yah! It was already good why did you have to say that?" Eunhyukkie teased Donghae which made us laugh more. Right then we clicked our glasses together laughing making some eyes turn our direction as we acted silly.

We spent our time talking about which ever topic interested us. Mostly about food because we were surrounded by it. Eunhyukkie was making jokes about fishes when my phone started ringing. It's Halmeoni.

"Hello Halmeoni?" I answered quickly, my voice still laced with laughter.

"Ah, Sungminnie... I just called to check on you and Hyukjae. He sent me a message earlier saying that you will go out to eat snack before heading home. How are you two doing now?"

Donghae and Hyukkie was still laughing at the jokes and I signaled for them to keep down a bit. "We're here at a cafe near the school Halmeoni. We're just chatting a bit. We'll leave after one last dessert."

"Is that so? Are you with anyone else?"

"Yes, Halmeoni. I asked my classmate to come with us so Hyukkie can meet him and I wanted to spend time with him. Also, I have MinBunny here too." I laughed at what I said I know it's silly for a boy my age to bring MinBunny to school. 

"Aigo… You brought him to school?" Halmeoni laughed as well. "Okay, I guess I'll hang up now. Don't take too long Sungmin-ah... Tell Hyukjae to drive safely and I'll see you when you get back."

"Yes, Halmeoni! I'll tell him. I'll see you later! Thanks for letting us go out, I love you Halmeoni!"

"I love you too My Sungminnie! Take care okay? Bye~~"

"Bye Halmeoni! Thanks again!" I said quickly making sure Halmeoni would hear me before she hangs up.

I placed my phone back inside my bag. As I look up from zipping my bag closed, the door of the cafe opened and a girl wearing a uniform from our school came in. It was Sunny. She was going to head for the dessert bar when she saw us. She stopped to greet me with a shy smile and a minute nod of her head. I did the same before she proceeded to making orders.

Donghae didn't see her because he had his back to her but he did notice my gesture making him turn and look back as well, seeing Sunny making her orders. "I usually see her here. I think she lives nearby too."

"Is she your classmate too?" Eunhyukkie asked, curious.

"Yes, she transferred from a foreign country just last year." Donghae said as he took one last sip of his drink.

"Then why aren't you greeting her?" Hyukkie was toying with a fork and the smudged syrup on his plate.

"We don't really greet each other. Just the casual nods and little smiles of acknowledgement. Let's just say that we do not belong in the same group of students." Donghae started fiddling with the straw on his empty glass.

With the last bite of my pocket pie I voiced out my thoughts "Hmm, though I've only seen her yesterday, I think she's a little different from the other girls." I recall yesterday's events in my mind. "I remember she was the one who was the calmest and she never really tried to be mean to me, unlike the others."

"Yah! Sungmin-ah! Are students in your class mean to you?" Hyukkie's tone sounded like a warning and his voice was a little louder than how it should be.

I think Sunny heard him because she glanced to our direction and bowed her head when she saw me glancing at her too. I was checking if she heard Hyukkie. Apparently, she did. "Will you keep it down?" I said just a little irritated. "She heard you, you might scare her."

"Don't worry Sungmin. After a year of being classmates with Sunny, I've seen how nice she is compared to Taeyeon, Yuri and Soo Young." Donghae assured.

"Girls bully you? Really?" Eunhyuk looked like he wanted to laugh at me.

Donghae saved me from embarrassment. "No. Sungmin can't be bullied. He's brave right? He defends himself quite well with the girls' not-so-nice attitudes." He stopped fiddling with the straw. "He would retort well with the bullying but still remain a gentleman and he was still not rude to them."

"I had to be" I said in response to what Donghae said "I just can't imagine Halmeoni's reaction if she hears of me not respecting girls and being rude to anyone or even fighting with someone."

"What about Cho Kyuhyun?" Donghae said out of nowhere. "You seem to argue with him a lot since you met yesterday."

And Donghae just had to mention him?

Hyukkie leaned in closer "Hey hey, who's that... that..." Hyukkie turned to Donghae "What's his name?"

"Cho Kyuhyun" 

"That Cho Kyuhyun?" Eunhyukkie scratched his forehead trying to remember yesterday's conversation. "I don't think Sungmin told me about that person yesterday."

Donghae looked at me like he was surprised. "You didn't tell him?" he then turned to Hyukkie. "Cho Kyuhyun is our Principal's son. Really smart and well known. But his cold personality just makes you not want to be near him." Donghae faked a shiver. "He's not a bad person but he's just a little arrogant and too cool for anyone."

Eunhyuk just nodded.

"He's crazy!" I snapped. "Yah... Let's not talk about him. You know I don't like him!" I took MinBunny from his seat and placed him on my lap. "I think MinBunny wants that ice cream now Donghae." I smiled at him sheepishly.

"Oh right, I was going to buy ice cream. Besides, we need to leave soon too. We've been here for more than an hour, my mom will be looking for me soon, and your grandma too." Donghae stood and took his wallet from his bag.

Hyukkie stood up too. "I'll come with you. You can't carry 3 cones by yourself."

"Oh... okay" he said, It feels nice that Hyukkie and Donghae aren't awkward anymore. "Sungmin, what flavor do you like, I’ll get us 3 scoops each"

"3 scoops? Isn't that a lot?" I pondered.

"No" was Hyukkie and Donghae's coherent reply.

I laughed amazed. "Alright, Hyukkie can just choose for me. I'll wait here with MinBunny."

With that they left and headed for the ice cream bar. I saw Sunny stood from the waiting area when she was called for her orders. She took the small paper bags that were handed to her, but instead of leaving she walked towards me.

"Hey..." I said and smiled at her when she stopped just behind Donghae's chair.

She eyed MinBunny who was on my lap facing her. "That's a cute plushy you have there." She said shyly and barely smiling.

"Thanks Sunny." I wanted to kill

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter