My Senior Year : Sacrifices

My Senior Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My Senior Year : Sacrifices

"Sungmin, are you okay?" Donghae sat next to me on the bleachers.

We were currently on the out-door basketball court of our school, having our gym class.

Donghae was still wiping sweat from the game we just finished playing. Now, it was Kyuhyun's turn to play with the better half of the class.

After downing half a bottle of water, I only nodded at Donghae with a pout.

"Are you sure?" he asked again "You were spacing out during the whole game. You missed a few shots and you didn't even follow our game plan"

I sighed and wiped my face with a towel "I'm sorry Donghae... I guess we lost because of me"

"Nah!" he chuckled "The other team was better than us. I don't know why our P.E. teacher divided our class that way, the worst players were in our team!" says the clumsy Donghae who tripped a couple of times while we played "We could have done better if not for them"

I gave him half a smile and dug through my bag for another towel.

"Hey, are you done packing for camp yet? Did you follow the list I emailed you? The things you have to pack?"

I shook my head and watched Kyuhyun running across the court.

"You didn't? But how will you know if you brought the right stuff?" 

"Donghae, I haven't packed a single thing yet" I said with a tired voice, placing the towel over my nape.

"You haven't?! Sungmin, why?" Donghae placed a hand over my shoulder "You were as excited as I was yesterday when we parted in the parking lot. Why not pack?"

I paused for a while and waited for Kyuhyun to shoot the ball he was dribbling. After dodging two people that blocked his way, one quick turn and Kyuhyun scored.

Almost everyone in class cheered, except for me. Even Donghae was clapping his hand.

"Donghae..." I called for his attention "Kyuhyunnie... He's leaving for China in less than three weeks."

Donghae didn't look surprised when I turned to him "You heard about that huh?"

"Even you know about it? Its like no one here in school will be surprised if he leaves. I'm the only one who seems to be in the dark of it." My shoulders hang low as Kyuhyun made another point from a distance.

"It happens every year. Our most capable student will be sent as an exchange student at the branch of our school in China." Donghae then followed my gaze "And that's Cho Kyuhyun. He's got good set of grades and he's already fluent in their language. He's done it almost every year since junior high."

"Everyone is just expecting it, except for me."

"He's leaving earlier this time if he'll be gone in less than three weeks" Donghae stood from the bleachers and pulled me to go with him.

I let Donghae drag me to wherever it was, listening to him as he talked.

"The previous year, he left before and after winter break. He only came back here to take his final examination and finally finish the school year."

We stopped in front of a water fountain. After taking a few gulps of water, Donghae turned to me, wiping his mouth.

"Is this why you're upset? Because he's leaving soon?"

"Donghae... I don't want to go to camp." I blinked at him with honest eyes.

Donghae gave a short smile and nodded "I understand why Sungmin. You want to spend time with him before he leaves, right?"

I nodded.

"Do you want me to talk to Ms. Kim or Principal Cho so they can find a replacement for you?"

I shook my head "I am Cho Kyuhyun's replacement Donghae. If I don't go, he has to go. Either way we won't be able to spend time together."

We began to walk back to the court "Then you should go. You said you wanted to experience camp. You will have fun there, it will be a good experience for you Sungmin-ah..."

"That's what he said" I was looking down while we walked.

"He is right. Seems like it's okay for him if you go to camp." Just as when we arrived at the court entrance, Donghae then stopped and faced me, making me look up "I can see that Kyuhyun-ssi is treating our Sungmin very well. I might not need to look out for you anymore, just like Eunhyukkie told me to" Donghae clicked his shoulders and turned back with a wide smile on his face at the mention of Hyukkie's name.

"Hyukkie asked you to look over us?" I said with a frown, following Donghae back to the bleachers.

"Just to make sure you're not crying because of him" Donghae said without turning to me "See, he's even sacrificing going to camp but in return you have to sacrifice time you're going to spend with him because you are his replacement, but then he's all okay about it. It only means that he wants you to have fun, Sungmin."

I sighed and kept quiet. I looked around and it's only now that I noticed random students playing. The game was already over.

As I looked up at the spot where Donghae and I left our things, I saw Kyuhyun there, still panting. He was standing next to our bags, hands on his waist , watching me and Donghae going up to where he is.

"You didn't see the game finish" Kyuhyun said when we got to him. He eyed me, then he eyed Donghae, and then he eyed me again "Where were you?" his question was almost accusing.

I sighed, he's being possessive again "I accompanied Donghae to the water fountain"

Kyuhyun then eyed Donghae who was already looking guilty for taking me away. "Ah... Kyuhyun-ssi. I'm so sorry. I kinda forced Sungmin to come with me but he didn't want to leave"

"No you didn't" I said to Donghae "He didn't force me, I wanted to accompany him" I said to Kyuhyun confidently. I can't let him think that it's okay for him to be over-possessive. Not when it comes to my close friends.

Kyuhyun then frowned and gave Donghae one last look. He then stood next to me and bent down to wipe his sweaty forehead on the towel that was hanging from my neck.

I grabbed the towel over my shoulders and gave it to him so he can wipe sweat off properly. I bent down to his bag and took out the bottle of energy drink he bought before gym class.

"Sungmin, Kyuhyun-ssi" Donghae said, almost looking scared at Kyuhyun "I'm gonna go ahead and hit the lockers, I'll see you back in class" Donghae bowed once and walk away after I said goodbye.

"Will you stop being mean to Donghae?" I said to Kyuhyun when I was sure Donghae couldn't hear us anymore.

"Mwo?! I'm not being mean to him. I told you, I don't like him. And then starting tomorrow you'll be spending time with him for a week..."

"And so?" I placed my hands on my waist and looked up at him "What are you trying to say?"

Kyuhyun scoffed and bent down to grab both our bags.

I gave a desperate chuckle "Cho Kyuhyun, are you jealous of Donghae again?"

"You're going to spend time with him. The time you're supposed to spend with me." He then threaded down the bleachers taking our bags with him, and leaving me stunned at his words again.

I was wondering where Donghae was when Kyuhyun and I got back inside the classroom. It was so not Donghae to be late after lunch break.

"Hey..." I said to Donghae when he got in after our teacher did "Did you do something? It's not like you to be late after lunch"

Donghae perched his glasses up his nose and gave a short smile "I was talking to someone"

I only nodded and paid attention to class.

I was not really in to listening to all my classmates that was doing their report on our project. I wasn't even paying attention when it was Donghae and Sunny's turn to do a report on our scale model.

Sooner than I expected, class was already over and I was already feeling worse than I did earlier.

It's time to go home. It means I have to part from Kyuhyun and wait for another week until I see him again.

"Kyuhyunnie~~ can you take me home? I'm going to ask Hyukkie not to come pick me up." I said to Kyuhyun as we walked out of class.

"Cho Kyuhyun" the secretary called from behind, making both of us look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter