70 Future Anxiety

Kiss or Kill

“Did you finish it yet?”

Over a year and a half had passed since you had entered the music business and about a month had passed since BTS had entered the music industry.

You were working on B.A.P’s newest song which you had titled One Shot.

You had started writing a song like this when you had first entered high school, but you never got the chance to finish it – with all the Fan Club troubles, BTS, and the horrible past you had tried to rid yourself of.

Daehyun handed you some iced coffee since you had locked yourself in your room for the time being. He glanced over at the lyrics that you had written.

Even he knew that all the songs you wrote were directly to that one person you couldn’t forget – Jung Kook.

[CR: One Shot – B.A.P]

Are you going to be a victim?
Are you going to get lost, looking for an easy way out?
Even if the high walls try to block you
Jump over it all, even if you fall every time
Bite down hard and go against them, one shot!
Throw yourself at the word, one shot!
You only have one chance you know?

These lyrics were no longer of the sadness and the recalls of the past.

They were more directed to Jung Kook than ever before.

Daehyun’s eyes trailed over and he saw your laptop, opened to a page that was of BTS. It was their song lyrics and that was when he realized it. You had finally seen BTS’s song.

One Shot was basically your way of shouting at Jung Kook for leaving you before just because of one little thing. It was your way of letting out your frustration.

You were angry that in Jung Kook’s song, it made him sound like the victim. You were angry that he was weak enough to just let you go like that in the past.

You wanted him to know that love like that only comes one time, so he should’ve dealt with it and kept you by his side. You wanted him to know that he only gets one chance in his entire lifetime to get true happiness.

“Yujin,” Daehyun’s hand patted your back and he sighed, “Please don’t be like this. You and Jung Kook have already gone your separate ways. If you really are this upset, why don’t you try letting him go? It might be the best for –“

You gave him a sad look, “Don’t you think I’ve tried? I just can’t. It hurts so much Daehyun, you don’t even know. I can’t believe I didn’t realize my feelings sooner. I always have the worst timing.”

“Don’t think of yourself that way,” Daehyun smiled, running his fingers through your hair, “Everything happens for a reason, you know? Maybe you and Jung Kook just weren’t meant to be. Trust me, you’ll find your own source of happiness in the end.”

You weren’t sure if you should believe him, but the sincerity in Daehyun’s eyes seemed truthful.

Maybe he was right.

Just maybe.

“Alright,” you finally managed the tiniest of smiles, “I’ll trust you on this.”

Your arms wrapped around him and you gave him a hug.

Taking your pen, you began to consider your next song. Sipping from the iced coffee, you got the name for the next song.

Coffee Shop.

This time, you were going to write a song about letting go.

You didn’t want to dwell on the past any longer.

However, Daehyun suddenly cleared his throat, “By the way, did you hear? You were assigned to write another song for a group other than us.”

“Who?” you replied a bit nonchalantly.

There was a long pause before Daehyun replied with a quivering voice, "Alright, I'll tell you but don't freak out after hearing who it is, alright?"

You glanced at him confused, "Why would I freak out? I wouldn't care who I write songs for unless it was that group. You know who I'm talking about."

However, as you spoke, your voice trailed off and became a bit quieter. That was when you realized the situation and the reason why Daehyun had said what he did.

"No way," your eyes widened, "Please don't tell me that is..."

"It is BTS," Daehyun confirmed.

How did your past always find a way to catch up with you?