05 It All Starts

Kiss or Kill

That morning, things already seemed to be going wrong. You should have received all the hints. You woke up late, burnt your breakfast, and missed the bus to school – Three bad omens that should’ve kept you at home.

Of course, you didn’t even notice all these signs until it was too late.

“Why won’t you let me in the classroom?”

Yuki had been blocking your way for the longest time and she wouldn’t let you in. She tried to distract you, but you knew something was fishy. She was stalling. She wasn’t allowing you to go to class and she seemed desperate for you to go home.

“There’s the flu going around!” she explained, “And I don’t want you to get it so please just go home?”

You crossed your arms, “I got my vaccination already. Now let me in Yuki.”

“No wait, this is a new virus!” she quickly added, “You have to get a special vaccination for it!”

Furrowing your eyebrows, you knew something wasn’t right. Within moments, you grabbed her shoulders and moved her out of the way and walked into the classroom.

“Oh? The Japanese freak let you in?” a girl scoffed as she walked by you.

Another girl grinned, “Guess she failed again.”

You felt anger build up inside of you. Who were these girls to talk about your friend like that? Somehow, the girls looked familiar, but you couldn’t remember who they were.

“M-Miss Gayoon, Miss Jiyoon!” Yuki bowed a little bit to show respect, and then she hid behind you.

Hearing the ‘Miss’ reminded you of the girls’ identity, “You must be one of those ridiculous leaders of those boys’ fan club.”

She was offended by your tone of voice with her and your attitude, “Excuse me? Did no one explain the rules of our school to you?”

“Oh Yuki did,” you replied, emphasizing your friend’s name, “Not some Japanese freak.”

Yuki pulled on your arm, “Just leave it. I don’t mind.”

“But I mind,” you told her bluntly, “And I’d like it if you all would address her by her name.”

Gayoon and Jiyoon looked at each other and smiled, “Sure.”

“Thank you,” you replied and then looked back at Yuki, “See? Told you I’d protect you – “

However, as you finished up what you were saying, you felt cold water splashed on you. You were drenched. You spun around sending the girls a fierce glare, “What. The. .”

Gayoon smirked, “So I heard you’ve been trespassing on the Kingka’s property.”

“I did no such thing,” you replied but then paused. Wasn’t the music room their property?

“We have witnesses,” Jiyoon said coldly while filing her nails, “The music room. You’ve been there right?”

You crossed your arms, “So what?”

“No one is allowed there except the Kingkas,” she declared, “No one.”

You raised an eyebrow, “I don’t have to listen to you.”

“Oh don’t you?” Jiyoon said quietly, which sent shivers down your spine, “Then don’t cry over shed blood.”

With that, the two girls walked out one after another. Gayoon shoved your shoulder as she passed and Jiyoon kicked you in the ankle. You winced subtly and stumbled forward.

“Y-Yujin,” Yuki helped you stand up, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah I’m fine,” you reassured her, “This is nothing.”

You slowly limped to your desk, or what remained of your desk – if it could be called a desk. Usually, your desk would have words carved into it. However, this time it was different. Someone had taken your desk apart – or rather – smashed it to pieces.

Fortunately, this wasn’t a class you had with Jung Kook or any of the Kingkas, so they wouldn’t see your pitiful state. You sighed and sat down in your chair. Guess you’d have to make do without a desk for the time being.

When Mrs. Song came in, she stared at you questioningly since your desk was gone. However, you ignored her and asked her to continue on with class. It was just a desk. You could always get a replacement.

Suddenly, Yuki threw a sheet of paper at you. You glanced at her and then picked up the paper, unfolding it.

Was what they said true? You’ve been on Kingka property?

You nodded and Yuki rubbed her temples. Then, she wrote down something else on a sheet of paper and handed it to you. You made sure the teacher wasn’t watching and took the paper.

I’m sorry for getting you caught up in this. It was because you wanted to protect me they poured water on you. Does your ankle hurt? Next class is about to start – You have gym right?

Without hesitation, you wrote back to her the lyrics of your newest song and a note..

[CR: Chocolat – Black Tinkerbell]
“One can protect love with effort

But one can’t make love with effort.”

I do what I do because I want to protect the ones I love. Don’t worry about me.
You’re important to me, so I don’t want you to be hurt. It’s easy to protect the ones I love.
It’s harder to try to get back the love after I lose it. I want to protect what I have now.

You smiled at her reassuringly and she softly smiled back also.

Then, you watched her as she turned her focus back to the lesson. You sighed. Was your school life really going to be so much harder now?

Reaching up and touching your hair, you realized it was still drenched. Your uniform was also moist. Your eyes scanned over the last words of her note. She was right – what were you going to do about gym class?

Your ankle was still hurting.