73 "Coffee Shop"

Kiss or Kill

After hearing what V said, you knew you had to go meet with Jung Kook. As the elevator came to a stopping point, the doors opened and you slowly stepped out.

You heard a soft melody coming from one of the rooms – the third room to the right – Jung Kook’s room. You took a second to listen to the gentle music.

It didn’t take long for you to recognize what song it was.

“This is…” you whispered to yourself, “This is that song by BTS.”

The melody was the song that Jung Kook had participated in writing – the song that seemed to be directed to you, I Like It.

Inside the music room, you were able to hear Jung Kook singing the song. As the music went on, you could feel your heart begin to weaken and race.

It seemed that even after all these years he still had that effect on you – Even when you had made up your mind that it was time to forget him.

You placed your right hand on the door, wanting to reach out to him one more time, but could your heart take it?

The music went on and on and with each lyric that came out of his lips, it made your heart thud harder and harder against your chest –

[CR: I Like It – BTS]
Through that, I’m backspacing into the memories.
In that world, everything is stopped. But why am I still hanging by that time?

If this song was meant to reach out to you, did it mean that Jung Kook’s feelings had never changed? Or were your hopes blinding you of the sad truth?

Slowly, you pulled your hand back again. Completely unsure what to do, all you did was just stare at the closed door knowing that the love of your life was on the other side.

Why was he so close yet so far? So near yet so distant?

It was then that you couldn’t help but utter his name, “…J-Jung Kook…”

As soon as you did so, the music had stopped. You quickly covered your mouth and froze. You wished that he didn’t hear you and that he would go on not knowing you were there.

You really weren’t ready to face him.

“Hello?” his voice rang in your ears.

His footsteps got louder and louder as he came to the door on the other side. His hand touched the door knob, but before he could open the door, you quickly reached over and pulled the door shut, holding the knob in place.

As soon as he realized that someone was on the other side of the door, keeping it from opening, he put two and two together, “…Yujin?”

His voice was quiet and gentle and it began to make your heart ache. Did you really miss him this much over the years?

You weren’t sure why your eyes began to water, but they did. A soft whimper came from your lips and you blinked back your tears. You had never felt so emotional before.

“It’s you, right?” he spoke again, “Yujin…?”

Though his words made it seem like he was uncertain it was you, you knew he was confident that he had guessed right. He twisted the door knob again, but you didn’t let the door open.

“Please, Yujin,” he said once more, “I know it’s you. Open the door.”

Your mind flashed back all the times you had spent with him.

You remembered the time when he fought alongside with you against President Kim. You remembered how he stood up for you in front of Hyuna. You even remembered how he treated your wound and protected you against the thunder. The second kiss the two of you shared and how silly he had been. You even went as far as to remember the first accidental kiss.

A tear rolled down your cheek.

Lastly, you had remembered those words he had said.

“I loved her. Loved. Past tense. She was my girl. Nothing happened to me. I just finally realized a couple of things. I don’t need to love someone who doesn’t love me back.”

He didn’t love you anymore. He had told you himself and now he wanted to see you? That was just a bit heartbreaking – just a bit – but you didn’t want him to worry.

Even if your heart hadn’t change since a year and a half ago. Even if you still loved him now. Even if your love only grows stronger and stronger. Even if you can’t erase him from your mind.

You remembered how the first meeting the two of you had. You had finished the song that you had been singing back then.

Slowly, your grip on the doorknob weakened.

[CR: Coffee Shop – B.A.P]

“Monday, Tuesday, Everyday. I get by and I am well. I meet up with a lot of friends.
These days, a lot of things make me laugh.
Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall. Time goes so fast.
Monday, Tuesday, Everyday. I get by and I am well. I sleep well at night…”

You slowly recited the lyrics to the newest song you wrote for B.A.P. As the door opened and you turned to face Jung Kook, you stated one last line.

“…I see you in my dreams, but it doesn’t make my heart rush anymore.”