01 Ichinose Yukiko

Kiss or Kill

It was a new high school, new place, new everything for you – Not that it mattered much.

You were used to switching schools, because the teachers declared you had committed school misconduct on the other students. It wasn’t a total lie, but it wasn’t the total truth either. They had provoked you, so you fought back. In other words, it was self-defense.

However, they didn’t believe you.

They judged you.

At first, you were hurt that they judged you, but afterwards you knew that it wasn’t a big deal. People were judged every single day. You figured it was not something to fret over.

Just because you dressed differently and acted differently, it didn’t mean you were always in the wrong. Rather, you got bullied because of it. After years of being bullied and looked down upon, it became natural that your reactions would be rougher than a normal girl’s.

Hopefully, at this new school, you would be able to start anew. You had heard rumors that this school was considered low, because it had gangs. Other than that though, the educational program was not bad.

Since you didn’t care about gangs and they didn’t bother you, you decided this would be an ideal school for yourself. The gangs would stand out and you wouldn’t be considered the weird girl anymore.

It may sound a bit selfish, but you were tired of being casted away. You were tired of being alone. Maybe now, life would be a bit different.

Gripping onto the strap of your backpack, you headed into the new school. You had gone out of your way to blend in with the students, keeping your appearance as normal as possible. It was pretty successful, the transformation. You had a new hairstyle and new clothes. In addition, this was a new area for you, so no one would recognize you – the perfect chance to start over completely.

As you headed into the school, you heard loud screaming near the end of the hallway in front of you – Or was it loud fan-girl squeals?

Uninterested, you headed off to the main office to get your schedule. You didn’t want to be late to class. The lady at the desk seemed to be organized as her materials were placed in a neat manner. She glanced at you with a subtly frightened smile. You weren’t sure why she looked afraid, but you didn’t question it. You believed that maybe you were mistaken.

Once you took the schedule from her, she gestured you to come closer. You did so a bit hesitantly and she whispered, “Be careful” into your ear.

“What do you mean?” You responded, but she didn’t say anything else. You shook your head and left the office, puzzled, and began to head toward the hallway you had heard screaming from earlier. It wasn't because of curiosity. It was just in the direction of your classroom. Your eyes glanced over the students.

Suddenly, a group of girls ran passed you, knocking you on the floor. Your schedule flew out of your hands and you scrambled to get up to retrieve it. However, a second wave of girls ran by you, making you unable to get up.

You grumbled to yourself, “Stupid girls. At least watch where you are going.”

The school was already leaving a bad impression on you and you were not pleased. You sighed.

Maybe the rumors you heard were right.

Maybe you should’ve listened.

You shook your head to clear you thoughts.

No.

This school will definitely be better.

You just knew it. Maybe you had a sixth sense or something?

Suddenly, someone picked up your schedule for you. You glanced up to face them. It was a pretty girl with wavy hair and a cute hair clip holding up her bangs.

“Is this yours?” the girl asked cheerfully.

You nodded, “Um, yeah. Thanks.”

She reached out and helped you up to your feet, handing you your schedule, “Are you new?”

You nodded, taking the schedule back, placing it in your backpack pocket,” Yes I am. I just transferred here today. I’m Yujin. Lee Yujin.”

“Really?” her eyes glistened. You could tell she was surprised and happy, “Well we don’t get much transfer students here because of our reputation. Well I’m glad you’re here. The name’s Yukiko – Ichinose Yukiko – But you can just call me Yuki.”

“You’re a Japanese student?” your eyes replied in surprise. You couldn’t tell.

“Yeah, I transferred here from Japan a few months ago,” she explained, smiling gently, “If you need any help with anything, just ask me alright?”

You nodded, “Who were those girls earlier? You know – the ones who nearly ran me over.”

“Oh! You haven’t heard? We have a group of badass boys here who are the school Kingkas. Those girls are members of their fan club. They monitor everything that goes on with the Kingkas. If any girl gets close to the boys, they’re dead,” Yuki took her thumb and drew a horizontal line across her neck, “The fan club president – Miss Hyuna.”

“Miss?” you raised an eyebrow.

Yuki looked at you and nodded seriously, “Yes. Bangtan Fan Club Rule #5: Always address the leaders by ‘Miss’.”

You nodded, “Any other rules I should know?”

“Bangtan Fan Club Rule #1: Never get close with the school Kingkas without permission from Fan Club leaders,” recited Yuki immediately, “Bangtan Fan Club Rule #2: Always address Kingkas by their full name with an additional ‘-ssi’ at the end. Oh and Rule #3 is to never make eye contact with the Kingkas."

She had memorized all the rules quick and clear.

Laughing, you glanced at her, “Seriously? Who made up these rules? These Kingkas are just normal, average boys!”

Yuki shook her head rapidly, “No they aren’t! There are seven of them, all good-looking: The leader is Kim Nam Joon, otherwise known as the Rap Monster from his underground hip-hop days. Other members are Kim Seok Jin, known as just Jin, Jung Hoseok, known as J-Hope, Min Yoongi, known as Suga, Kim Taehyung, known as V, Park Jimin, and Jeon Jung Kook. These seven boys are merciless fighters, the king of gangs around here. You never want to get on their bad side.”

“So they can fight,” you shrugged, “Big deal.”

Yuki quickly covered your mouth, “Shh! The Fan Club leaders may hear you! You’ll get into a lot of trouble if they catch you saying that. Those girls worship these boys, because they can fight so well and because they are so attractive.”

“I’m not afraid of them,” you moved her hand away from your mouth, “Let them come.”

Yuki laughed softly at you, “I wish I were as brave as you Yujin."

"You don't have to be as brave as me. I'll protect you," you smiled reassuringly.

Her eyes began to glisten in happiness, "Really? My own bodyguard? That's so cool!"

Her happy voice made your spirits lift up tremendously. She was like a happy virus. Even upon the first meeting, you had already grown fond of her.

"Alright, enough about these boys. What’s your first class?” She tilted her head curiously.

Remembering your schedule from earlier, you replied without hesitation, “Math with Mrs. Song.”

“So we’re in the same class? Cool! I’ll take you there!”

A large smile spread across your face. Yuki was so enthusiastic in meeting you which made you were really pleased. You finally felt like you were slowly starting to fit in around the school – even if you had only one friend.