67 Goodbye

Kiss or Kill

Maybe it was fate, but the day that you and Jung Kook were going to be discharged happened to be the same. Your blood transfusion was finally done and he had recovered well enough for him to leave the hospital.

Jung Kook was supposed to have been discharged in the morning, so you expected him to come see you. V had gone to make sure he was getting out the hospital fine.

Yuki and Reita stayed behind with you – She had gotten discharged four days earlier than you and she and her brother stuck around. When Yuki got discharged, even Jin came over to hang around.

It wasn’t like that they didn’t go back to check on Jung Kook from time to time, but when you weren’t around, he felt like he was truly alone.

Was this the feeling of heartbreak?

He had thought he had already gone through it, but this felt a thousand times worse. It was as if his heart had been broken into a thousand pieces and of those pieces, each one broke into another million pieces.

His mood had gone down a lot since the time he came into the hospital and he knew that the reason was your presence – or lack thereof.

“Jung Kook!” V called as he saw his friend preparing to leave the hospital.

He greeted him happily, but what was strange was that he didn’t look like he was preparing to go see you at all. His bags were packed and he was heading out of the hospital.

It wasn’t as if V could blame him since Jung Kook never knew that you having the blood procedure. However, Jung Kook did know that you were still here. V had told him that you were here at the hospital for a couple days just so you could rest and recuperate – even if there was nothing really wrong with you.

“Oh, hey V,” he gave him a half-hearted smile, “What’s up? I was just about to leave. I got discharged this morning.”

V furrowed his eyebrows, “You’re… leaving? What about Yujin?”

The reply came quick, “What about her?”

His answer was a bit colder than the Jung Kook he knew. Jung Kook used to care for you so much and now he seemed so nonchalant. Something didn’t seem right.

“I thought you said you love her,” V stated slowly, “I thought she’s your girl. What happened to you?”

Jung Kook scoffed a bit, “I loved her. Loved. Past tense. She was my girl. Nothing happened to me. I just finally realized a couple of things. I don’t need to love someone who doesn’t love me back.”

The hospital experience had changed him. Since you were unable to go see him and V had chosen to keep your procedure a secret – things turned out a bit unexpected. Jung Kook had strongly believed that you were a cold, heartless girl who didn’t even bother to visit him when he was injured.

“What are you talking about?” V’s eyes grew cold, “Yujin does love –“

At that moment, a loud clutter was heard. Both boys directed their attention to the source of the noise. You had wanted to go see what the delay from V was about and overheard Jung Kook’s words.

“Yujin,” Jung Kook stated softly, but that cold barrier was put up again.

V took a step towards you, “I messed up. I chose not to –“

You raised a hand and it made V be quiet. You knew what had happened and what the BTS boys had chosen not to tell Jung Kook.

“Is that right?” you asked, “You loved me? I was your girl?”

A strong front was created by you to keep your voice from breaking. Reita’s song came back and you remembered the song’s meaning.

Even if your feelings fade tomorrow, I’ll still love you unchangingly.

Even if you can’t see me tomorrow, I’ll still love you without fail.

I will walk together, the future not promised…

It keeps walking together, to the future in which you are…

Jung Kook gave you a nod, “That’s right.”

He thought that this way, you wouldn’t be burdened by his silly crush on you. He thought that this was what you wanted to hear. At the same time, he was hurt. He was hurt that you didn’t even pay him any attention during the time he was at the hospital.

“Yujin, why don’t you just explain that –“ V tried to talk again, but you interrupted him once more.

“There’s nothing to explain,” you replied, “Didn’t you hear him? It’s already too late.”

“But this is just all one mistake!” V emphasized.

How could he let two people who loved each other to just walk away from each other so easily?

If someone like Jung Kook couldn’t endure something so small like this – a white lie to protect his well-being, then there was no point in trying to keep him by your side.

You went up to V and you took his hand. You looked at Jung Kook one last time.

This was the end.

The one line of the lyrics repeated in your mind: Even if your feelings fade tomorrow, I’ll still love you unchangingly.

So that was what Reita was talking about.

This was why you were able to sing that song so well – so passionately.

You finally realized it and now here he was, walking out of your life.

You had long ago fallen for Jeon Jung Kook.


A/N: If you are one of those people who go for sad endings, you can just stop reading here :3 For those of you who aren't satisfied until you get a happy ending, then keep on reading~