41 Candlelight

Kiss or Kill

A/N: This will be a long recall of the past. If this makes you any less confused, Lee Yujin is Jini.


FLASHBACK:

A young little girl ran into her parents’ room, crying while rubbing her eyes. Outside, the rain was pouring the thunder was louder than ever.

Tears ran down her little cheeks as made her way onto the master bedroom where her parents were sleeping.

“Mommy!” she cried as she buried her face into her chest.

The mother figure stirred awake and turned over to face the vulnerable little girl. The father who was sleeping next to her also woke up, turning over to face the girl.

“Jini,” he mumbled, “Sweetheart, what are you doing here?”

“It’s the thunder,” the mother smiled as she the little girl’s head, “She’s afraid.”

Pulling the covers over Jini, the little girl’s parents cuddled together with her in between. The thunder roared again, but this time, it wasn’t as scary. A smile appeared on Jini’s face as she began to feel the comfort of her parents.

Suddenly, the lights night light in the room flickered and Jini whimpered.

“The storm’s pretty hard,” the mother said as she sat herself up.

The father chuckled, “Yeah, it is isn’t it? Grab some flashlights for Jini and yourself since she’s afraid of the dark, I’ll light a few candles in case the lights go out.”

He left and the mother did too, “Stay here Jini.”

She glanced at her parents as they left, leaving her sitting on the bed by herself, alone. She saw a flash of lightening and scrambled to get up. She didn’t want to be alone.

Though thunder was more frightening, it didn’t mean she wasn’t scared of lightening. She was scared.

“Daddy?” she called out as she went down the stairs, “Mommy?”

She wandered into the kitchen where her parents were.

They were lighting candles and putting fresh batteries in the flashlight. When they saw her coming in, they gave her one of the most charming smiles and picked her up.

“Didn’t I tell you to stay in the room?” she nuzzled into the little girl, making her laugh.

“Let’s go back upstairs,” the father smiled and grabbed a candle with some flashlights.

The mother carried the girl in her arms and the three loving family members walked up the stairs, back to the room.

“Mommy, I’m scared,” the girl puffed out her cheeks, “Loud noise is scary.”

Setting Jini on the bed, the mother tucked her in and lied down next to her while the father lied down on the other side.

“Just think about butterflies,” her father grinned, “Butterflies are beautiful and calming, right? Jini loves butterflies.”

Her mom snapped her fingers, “Oh! I was going to give this to you later, but I might as well do it now.”

“What?” Jini looked at her with big eyes, cutely.

She got up and went off to get something, coming back with a shining silver cross on a chain. It was a beautiful necklace and on it was engraved, ‘The Black Butterfly’.

The mother placed the necklace around her daughter’s neck and then smiled, “People always say black is dark, but it’s actually a pretty majestic color that goes well with anything. Mommy loves the color black and so does Jini, right?”

“Jini loves black!” the girl smiled widely, throwing her arms up excitedly.

“You’re mommy’s beautiful black butterfly,” she smiled, curling a hair behind Jini’s ear, “Mommy loves you Jini.”

“Daddy does too,” the father hugged the girl, “I love you my sweetheart.”

Suddenly, the light flickered off as the storm raged harder outside. The only thing that was keeping the room from being pitch black was a single candlestick burning in the room.

“I don’t like the dark,” Jini pouted, whimpering slightly.

The father and mother looked at each other and then both got up.

The mother went over to get the candle and the father grabbed the flashlights, flickering those on. However, at the moment, another loud rumble of thunder was heard.

“MOMMY!” she squealed, running over to the safety of her mother’s embrace.

However, the timing was more than wrong. It all happened so fast.

“JINI NO!” the father shouted, but it was too late.

The impact of her against her mother had caused her to drop the candle, setting the place on fire.

TO BE CONTINUED.