084

Descended FromThe Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A bang from the living room draws Lay from where he assists DO in the kitchen, wiping his hands on a cloth as he enters the room. 
Sitting against the couch, head resting on the coffee table from where it had likely been dumped in frustration, Avery pours over her notes, a mock-exam meant to see where the most work was needed only two days away and Daesung's expectations exceptionally high.


Not to mention whoever was on the sending end of her apprenticeship, of which she still hadn't told her Warriors about.
"You okay there Avery?"
 

I groan in a mixture of pain and frustration.
 

Although it had been Amber who'd dragged her from the house, it had been Eric who managed to talk some sense into my stubborn self, helping me see that the silent treatment was hurting not only her Warriors but also herself and would be detrimental the longer it continued with final exams and most importantly, the grading tournament less than three months away.
 

But his convincing had come at a cost. The heart-to-heart the two Summoners had shared with their friends resulted in a lot of tears and even a bit of screaming according to Henry. Hand in hand with each came the emotional exhaustion and after a brief apology for her silence, Avery had shuffled straight up to bed, her Warriors losing the chance they'd planned to tell her everything.
 

Every moment they'd tried to initiate the talk they all needed over with, Avery brushed them off, either claiming she had something to do or readily avoiding any serious topics. Everyone was getting sick of how she was avoiding their talk, although she wasn't the one who had anything to confess, she was avoiding the very information she constantly begged for. 
 

Yet it wasn't her fault, not really. Since Eric brought her back down to earth and convinced her not to continue with her silent treatment, the devil on her shoulder had been whispering up a storm, his words growing louder as days passed by until she was certain that any serious confrontation with her Warriors would result in them abandoning her, choosing to take her offer and stop being her Warriors. 
 

She knew he was wrong but there was nothing she could do to convince herself otherwise and so continued the cycle of avoidance and frustration. 
 

Lifting my head, I rub a small undoubtedly red patch of abused skin of my forehead. "Do you know how to explain stars, connections, and like that in a way that makes sense?"
 

Lay huffs a small laugh and scratches the back of his head sheepishly. "Uhhh, if you want someone to explain Warrior connections and stars your best bet is Suho."
 

"Well ."
 

Despite the Water Warrior's silent optimism, he was still mean and disapproving of almost everything I did. Me being me, I'd ignored him up to this point and was planning to confront him about it at some point but had no idea how to go about it not without him actually taking my offer and potentially leaving with most if not all of my Warriors beside him.
 

I sigh and lay my pen in the center of my book, pressing the heels of my palms into my eyes I rub away the dull throb beginning and stand, joints clicking and cracking. "I think I'll manage for now. I'm going to see how the others are going, maybe do a little training of my own."
 

Lay smiles and walks beside me, making sure to keep his distance and not touch me without his gloves as I pass through the kitchen to the back door, entering the yard where five Warriors train their boredom away. 
 

Chen sits in one of the chairs, watching with longing as fire spirals through the air. Jackson had been clear in his instructions and was over every other day to check on the state of his core, closely monitoring its healing in a way that Lay cannot.
 

"Only a few days left," I remind him, placing a hand on the back of the chair.
 

Chen huffs and leans back to look up. "Yea, a few days too many."
 

" it up buttercup. You'll be back in action in no time."
 

"I know but I want to be out there now."
 

"Tell you what, if Lay says you're able to train I'll let you train but only if you promise not to use any of your abilities. How does that sound?" I try and compromise, wanting more than anything to wipe away the self-pitying expression from his face.
 

Chen all but leaps from the chair, running inside with a yell of the Spirit Warriors name. "I'll take that as a yes then," I can't help but mutter with a chuckle.
 

Watching for a few more minutes, I steal Chen's seat and watch as my Warriors go through the motions of their regular training, trying to enhance their abilities through use and build their arsenal with new combinations and formations of their corresponding affinity.
 

Watching the two Fire Warriors collaborating, an idea pops into my head. "Baekhyun," I call from across the yard, not moving from my seat. "Come here, I've got an idea I want to run past you."
 

He responds by jogging over, waving to Chanyeol as he ditches him. I pat the seat next to me and he willingly takes it, faintly as his straining legs are finally given a break from holding his weight.
 

"You good?" I giggle, amused at the way he sinks into the least comfortable furniture in the house as if it were heaven and even more so at the small noises that escape his lips.
 

A small whine is the only response he gives.
 

"I thought you were supposed to be one of the fittest?" I  continue to tease, poking his abdomen lightly, well aware that he is hurting and there isn't any flab in that area as my statement insinuated.
 

"Not even I can be my usual perfect self after sparring with Tao and then training normally," He winces as his calf pulls uncomfortably.
I can't help but scoff, "Perfect, sure." I draw out, further teasing him as a dejected Chen emerges from the house, plonking himself down on the couch opposite them both. "Lay said no?"
 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter