Chapter 89

Damned Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could feel the rays of the sun through the window. All the pain had disappeared, but the nausea stayed. My eyes were still having trouble opening. I could feel Daniel’s arm under my neck. I wriggled against it, inching closer to him. It was the comfiest I had been since I fell sick last night. I couldn't remember much, except waking up every now and then, screaming from the agonizing pain. My head had felt as though my brain was being pounded against my skull. I couldn’t even remember how I had gotten into this bed. The last thing I did remember was the not so friendly encounter between Daniel and Seongwoo.

“How are you feeling?”, I knew I was definitely dreaming now, because it was Seongwoo's voice that had spoken those words to me and not Daniel's. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around. It was definitely Daniel’s apartment. I tilted my head up and saw a very nervous Seongwoo staring at me. Why was I having a dream about him at Daniel’s place? Or was this a vision? What was my subconscious trying to tell me? I had never been aware that I was dreaming before. Was my gift advancing? “Why aren’t you saying anything?”, Seongwoo asked, “Are you still having trouble speaking? Can you hear me?”. I sighed in disappointment at the fact that I was still asleep. Who knew what state I was going to be in, when I woke up; if I ever did wake up.

Unless… a horrifying thought suddenly came to me. What if this wasn’t a dream? What if my guardian angel was here, to take me to heaven? What if I was right after all? What if the poison had killed me? Being in Daniel’s apartment would make sense then. My soul remained since I had died here. Somehow I thought I would be more panicked about my own death. Maybe it was better this way. The gateway to heaven could never be opened now. All this time everyone’s been trying to protect me. Somehow the immensity of the situation never really sunk in. I had forgotten that the covens were there to prevent my death; they had become my friends. It was hard to believe that it had only been 5 months since I met Daniel and Seongwoo. 

“Tris are you okay?”, he asked again, “Please say something. You are worrying me”. I nodded, “What is IPU?”. Seongwoo look befuddled. If I really was dead, I didn't know how much time I had left with him. I needed answers to some things before we departed. “You heard that?”, he looked surprised, “It's basically a poison for angels". “What is it made of?”, my eyes still felt heavy, opening and closing as I spoke. “We don’t know for sure… it’s something that The Fallen created. Are you really okay? Why are you asking me about this? You seem way too calm right now”, he went on, “Considering the position we are currently in. I thought you’d be more curious about what I’m doing here”. “I know. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter