Chapter 4

Damned Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How is a girl supposed to survive that smile? I thought his face was too much too handle, little did I know Daniel’s smile was going to be the death of me. Daniel. I finally had a name. Daniel. The name was almost as beautiful as the boy. Okay, that’s a lie. The boy was too beautiful. I could have sworn I saw a glow when he smiled. Like an actual glow around him. Clearly I am losing my mind.

“You are Tris, right?”, Daniel asked. I had gotten so caught up in that smile, that I had forgotten to speak again. “Yeah, right”, I said. “So Tris”, Daniel said, “are you going to tell me about your responsibilities now that you know my name?”. I dont know? Am i? Am i going to be able to speak to you? "Tris", Daniel said again snapping me out of my daze.

I went on to tell him about how my parents died years ago, about my younger brother, about how I had to get a job to help with the bills in some way, since we couldn’t rely on our aunt and uncle for everything. Why was I telling him any of this? The only people who knew this were Ash and Lala. It wasn’t a story I liked retelling over and over again. “So that’s why I do not have any plans this Saturday or any Saturday really”, I said. “I’m sorry”, Daniel said. “It’s okay; it really isn’t as bad as it sounds. Sure, I miss my parents but my life isn’t bad”, I said.

“Really? That’s strange”, Daniel said with surprise, “Humans tend to always complain about their lives”, he said. Why is he saying humans? It’s not as if animals or plants could complain about their lives. "People”, Daniel corrected, as if realizing what he had said, “People were always complaining. Nothing was ever good enough for them. They never cared about health or life; all they cared about was money and fame and glory”. Why is this boy talking in the past tense?

“Yeah well money makes the world go round”, I said. He looked at me, confused. “Is that what you really think?”, he asked. “No, I was just quoting the phrase in response to what you said”, I said. “Oh, I have not heard that phrase before”, he said. “Well, It just means that the world is run by money, nothing can be done without it, no one can live without it”, I said.

“You will be surprised what you cannot live without when you no longer have it”, Daniel said. “Are you speaking from experience?”, I asked. Daniel ignored my question. “I should go”, he said, “I’ll be back in the evening to swap with you”. "Uhm, okay, yeah", I said. What was up with this boy? He was all too eager to hear about my life, but the moment a question about his life came up, he avoided it. Why did I even expect that he would talk to me about stuff anyway? I don’t know him and he doesn’t know me. Just because I felt comfortable blurting out everything doesn’t mean he was going to be the same way... So then why did I feel so sad about it?

~~~~~~~

The day seemed to drag along. A 6 hour shift suddenly felt like a 60 hour shift. The store only had 3 customers today, including that annoying guy; S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter