Chapter 84

Damned Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Happy Halloween Aunty Tris”, Woojin got out of the car and hugged me. “Happy Halloween Spidey”, I handed him a gift bag filled with candy and chocolates. “Wooow”, his face lit up and he rushed back inside to start rummaging through it. My attention now shifted to Daniel; my Romeo, looking even more handsome than he did from my balcony. “I have seen actual angels who are not as beautiful as you are”, his gaze moved up and down my body. I was too flustered to respond to that. “Happy Halloween my Juliet”, he handed me a red rose. “Did my heart love till now? Forswear its sight! For I never saw true beauty, till this night”. Daniel was completely absorbed in his character. He was reenacting the scene from the party where they had first met. He took hold of my hand.

“If I profane with my unworthiest hand”

“This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this”

“My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand”

“To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss”

Like the lines he had just recited, he placed a soft kiss on my hand. I was thankful that I had not changed my mind about these costumes. I turned my Juliet mode back on.

“Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much”

“Which mannerly devotion shows in this”

“For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch”

“And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss”

I was proud that I remembered the words so well, considering I didn’t have the gift of recollection. Did angels study Shakespeare as well? Did he understand what he was saying to me or what I was saying to him? He leaned in closer; his lips so close to mine, I could almost feel them, “Have no saints lips and holy palmers too?”. At this point of the story, Juliet turned away from Romeo, who was asking for a kiss. I never understood how she resisted him, but now it made more sense to me. I could feel the tension building up the longer I denied him exactly what he wanted, “Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer”, I turned away just like my counterpart had but Daniel followed me. 

“O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do”, he kissed me before he had finished the rest of that line. I wondered if he skipped it due to the religious text or he had just been that eager to kiss me. Did angels even have a religion? There were still so many things I still didn’t know about them or about Daniel. His kiss was sweet and lingering; as gentle and tender as the hair I ran my fingers through. I caught my breath, once our lips departed, “You kiss better than the book”. The original line had been ‘you kiss by the book’, but Daniel’s kisses were way better than any book could describe or teach.

On the subject of books and teaching, maybe I needed to take some angel history lessons. I could see Seongwoo’s coven being entertaining teachers in that field. "In 1801", Sanggyun would say. "Not 1801, 1802", Taehyun would correct, "Just let me say it". Seongwoo would chime in every now and then, "In 1802, an angel almost, kind of, sort of, maybe, possibly, quite certainly... we can't really be sure", he would go on and on. "It was bad enough when the angels taught it, someone please shut him up", Yongguk would cry out in annoyance. "Tris, Tris, don't you want to know about our cool powers instead?", Donghan would interrupt.  

My parents had not been the most religious people, and neither were Taehee and Jihoon. Daehwi and I had never attended any spiritual classes or even stepped foot inside a sacred building. I guess that’s why the topic never really came up with Daniel. It was not something that impacted my life in anyway. If I was being totally honest with myself, I had stopped believing in God when my parents were killed. Little did I know back then, that his “sons” were the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter