Chapter 21

Damned Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What, no, no, that’s not possible”, I argued. “It is possible and it is also true”, Daniel said. I could tell he wasn’t joking, even though I didn’t believe it. “My mother couldn’t have been a Nephilim”, I insisted, “She was just a mother, a human mother”. “You can’t tell the difference between Nephilim and humans”, Daniel said. “First you tell me that my father wasn’t my father, my brother is only half my brother, now my mother wasn’t even... human”, I said, starting to feel light headed. “They are the same family you have known and loved”, Daniel said, “This doesn’t change any of that at all”. Maybe it didn't change the way I loved them, but it felt like nothing else would ever be the same again. Who was Shin? Why did my mother never tell me about him? Why was he not there for my birth? Did Soogeun marry my mother, knowing she was carrying someone else's child? Did Soogeun know my mother was a... a nephilim? Did my real father know? Where was he now? I had so many questions... Everything had become too overwhelming. I wanted to scream and cry and let it all out.

“It still doesn’t make any sense”, I said, “Even if everything you said is true, why... why is any of this the reason people are after me?”, I asked. "It's not people who are after you Tris", Daniel said and I could see the worry in his eyes. "Nephilim are after me?", I asked. Daniel shook his head. "Then what is after me Daniel?", I asked frustrated. Daniel let out a heavy breath. “Nephilim aren’t the only fictional characters that are real”, he said and then he paused. He really did look like this story was affecting him more than me. “So then what?", I asked, "Dragons? Werewolves? Whitewalkers?". "What are whitewalkers?", Daniel asked. "It doesn't matter", I said, getting annoyed, "Will you just say it already".

"Angels Tris”, Daniel said, "Angels are real". Angels are real? Angels are real! “Angels”, I said, trying to see how the word sounded out loud. “Yes, angels”, Daniel said. “Okay... I guess... that makes sense. If Nephilim exist, then…”, I couldn’t even believe what I was about to say. “Then angels must be floating up there somewhere”, I said. “Yes... but not just up there”, Daniel said. “What?”, I asked. I wasn’t quite sure if Daniel meant what I thought he meant. “There are angels down here as well, living among humans", Daniel said, "Fallen angels”.

It was one thing to believe angels existed, but it was inconceivable to believe they were on earth. “The only angels who live on earth, are the ones who were banished from heaven”, Daniel sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter