Lawyer Mode ~

The Emotional Roller Coaster I Call Life With Super Junior

Okay, so the day had been pretty normal. Ya’ know, not really differing from any other TV performances or interviews or anything. Screaming fans, TV interviewers trying to catch the boys doing something they shouldn’t have, and the boys being stupid and goofy on TV. Totally normal. But why in the world did I actually expect for it to stay that way? Noo, it couldn’t have. You know why? Because life just loves messing with me. Life loves to just screw up and expect me to fix everything. Why did I deserve a normal day? Because I was a bad person? Is that why? No. You wanna know why? Because nothing is ever normal when your older brother is a Korean pop star! That’s why.

Like I said, everything was just fine and dandy, up until the photo shoot came up. You know why? Because no one ever told us anything about girls being involved in the shoot!

“Wait, what?!” Leeteuk asked the photographer.

“SM Entertainment talked it over with your manager. They all thought that it was time to spice Super Junior up a bit. The public all view you guys as saints and innocent guys and whatnot. We all have decided that it’s time to break free of that image,” the photographer explained.

The guys were all dumbstruck. Girls?! I mean, singing with SNSD and whatnot is one thing, but to model with stranger girls trying to act “y” as the photographer had so put it earlier was an entirely different thing! And I saw some of what those models were wearing around here…Er, lack thereof anyway.

“No, no, this is unacceptable,” Leeteuk said, speaking for the rest of the group. “No one ever said anything about this to us.”

“We figured you guys would be okay with it,” the photographer responded, checking the film in his camera and fixing the angle of it.

“Well, we’re obviously not!” Leeteuk said. He motioned to the models. “Look at what they’re wearing! Well, look at what little they are wearing. Super Junior is a clean and wholesome group, not one of those scandalous groups that go around showing off some pretty girl. We’re not like that, and that’s not how we wanna portray ourselves to our fans.”

Yeah, that’s right, Teukie! You tell him!

The photographer sighed and looked at him. “Is it because you guys don’t know the models? Is that what’s so awkward about all this?”

“Okay, now you’re just being ridiculous,” Siwon said, stepping up to the plate, “if we were to do this shoot with anybody we did know, don’t you think it’d be a whole lot worse? The reason why we don’t wanna do this is because we’re not like this. It has nothing to do with the fact that we don’t know the models or anything, it’s because none of us are actually like the guys you’re trying to represent in this shoot idea.”

The photographer pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “Look, I’m just the photographer. You wanna complain? Take it up with your manager. I’m just paid to take the pictures, and quite frankly, we’re already twenty minutes behind schedule. So are you guys gonna go through with the shoot or not?”

“No!” Leeteuk exclaimed. “This is not Super Junior.”

“Okay…Would you rather me find some…’Wholesome’ models for you?” the photographer asked.

“Okay, now you’re just being stupid,” I said, making my voice heard. He looked at me, a look of shock on his face. “Why in the world are you trying to force them to do this? Quite frankly, if their manager and SM Entertainment were smart, they wouldn’t wanna do this. Have they once thought about how this could hurt sales? How the ELFs would react? Because I assure you, they’re not gonna react none so nice from seeing some girl in a little bit of fabric wrapping herself around the guys. I don’t even wanna see that and I’m not even an ELF! The whole thought of it just kinda disgusts me actually, and as an owner of some of the folders that they’re shooting for, I’m just gonna be the first to say that I wouldn’t buy these.”

“And who exactly are you?” the photographer asked.

“I’m Uki Seohae Choi. And if those SM people were smart, they’d start thinking more like me because quite frankly, they’re not thinking about the boys’ image or the fans, they’re thinking of how they’re gonna make money. Which they’re not gonna have if their fans begin hating them for acting like some of those other groups out there with this ridiculous shoot idea. They’re not thinking of the long term effect here. After seeing these photos, fans are gonna start to hate. Fans start to hate, record sales plummet. Record sales plummet, merchandise begins to go to waste. Merchandise goes to waste, the company actually loses money. And then where would we all be? Crying five years from now, ‘Why didn’t we just listen to Uki? She knew what she was talking about, but we were just being annoying and stubborn.’”

The photographer chuckled. “You’re quite a charmer aren’t you? Look, I’m not the ones who make the decisions here. Besides, every other group’s done it. SHINee, Big Bang, 2 PM.”

“I’m sorry, but are you looking at SHINee here? No, you’re looking at Super Junior. Big Bang? No, Super Junior. 2 PM? No, because it’s Super Junior! They’re not like any of the other groups! Why do you think people like them so much?! Because they don’t sell out and mold to what everyone else is doing!”

The photographer shrank. He looked to Siwon. “Y-you’re younger sister, am I correct?”

Siwon smiled proudly. “That’s her.”

“I-I believe she makes some valid points. Let’s do the shoot, no girls needed,” he said, motioning for the hair and makeup team to get started.

The guys smiled at me.

“Thank you so much, Uki!” Leeteuk said, hugging me.

“Man, Uki is a beast,” Yesung said, smiling at me.

I laughed. “Uki Seohae Choi. Future lawyer.”

“We can tell,” Donghae said.

“This isn’t the first time you got us out of a jam, either,” Eunhyuk said, laughing. “If I remember correctly, you came and burned our old choreographer when you were what? Eleven?”

“Oh yeahh~” I said, a far away lilt to my words. “I remember that.” I laughed. “I really disliked that guy. He pissed me off to the max that day, man.”

“Can we please get you guys to hair and makeup? Lee is getting impatient that we’re so behind schedule,” a random lady said to us, holding a clipboard and saying something into her headset.

Siwon looked at me, a warning glance in his eyes. “Be good. Don’t mess with anything and don’t break anything.”

“Like what?” I asked sarcastically.

“Hearts? I dunno, Uki. You have a knack for them whenever I leave you alone.”

I rolled my eyes at him and hooked arms with Alex. “Oh, it’s okay. Alex will keep an eye on me.”

Siwon looked at the two of us and sighed. After kissing me quickly on the cheek, he left with the other members for hair and makeup.