the mourning mermaid

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK (EDITING)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Darkness fell. It was the part of the day that she hated the most. Two weeks had past and she only now have less than 24 hours to live. She stood by the post at the balcony of her room. It was her refuge for the past two weeks. She shut herself from the world and no plan to return until everything was okay, if it will still be okay.

6:00 pm and her weeping official ended. She then started to mourn.

Less than 24 hours…

In less than 24 hours he will be with the girl she thought was a friend…forever.

She held her chest and felt her heart, checking if it was still beating. Her eyes were severely swollen and tears refused to fall down. She had no more tears to cry… she had enough but the story was far from over yet.

The heart was still beating but she felt lifeless. She turned to look at her bed. How she wished to sleep and never to be disturbed again, to never see the sunlight that made her heart sank into the deepest part of the unknown.

And the dolphin toy… the latest and the last thing she received from him… the only thing she had of him.

She crawled to reached her bed… her feet felt numb and heavy. She was tired and didn’t want to continue. Life was unfair… it was never fair to her… She never had parents… she grew up in an orphanage and fought life with head up high and made it through. But a single person left her gasping for air, begging for life.

 

The last two weeks was awfully gruesome… each morning was a struggle. Her brother had been ignoring her since their clash. She didn’t have the chance to work again and after that meeting at Lotte World, she locked herself inside her room and from the world.

She was alone and lonely.

The sound from her phone saved her from getting drown to her deep thoughts. It was ringing so loud on her bed but she didn’t have the plan of answering it. Then…

‘Hi… this is Saki the famous mermaid… I’m busy right now so please your message after the beep.’

Beep.

“Sakura, this is Kyu… I prepare something special for us. Can we see each other tomorrow? I’ll pick you up at the SM Ent. at 9. I’m sure you’ll have fun.”

And then silence surrounded the room once again.

“I’ll have fun?” she talked to her self and smiled resentfully afterwards.

“They will take me life away from me tomorrow.” And she laid her head on the side of her bed.

She begun remembering all the good times she and the love of his life had shared. All the good things and each petty thing that caused some misunderstandings between them that made their relationship stronger. He was always there for her, ready to help and protect. The kiss… the hugs… tomorrow… it will all be given to Zhang… and it made her feel like her heart was being gripped to the extent that she couldn’t breathe anymore.

Too much pain was overtaking her whole being.

 Unbearable.

Agonizing.

Excruciating.

Pain like no other.

“Oh God…” she stared at her ceiling and closed her eyes. “ Please end all my sufferings… I- I can’t go on anymore…” her voice was begging.

‘Can’t you at least fight for me?’

 Junsu’s voice rang.

“I’m sorry…” she cried. “I’m sorry…I'm sorry for crying over you, 
because I said I wouldn’t. But I didn't promise you that, because I knew it would be a promise I would never be able to keep.”

 

That was the time she caught a glimpse of a small bottle near the table lamp. It was clear that she could see the capsules inside it.

Enticing.

Twelve tablets can kill.

She gathered all her remaining energy to reach the bottle.

The solution to all her heartaches was in front of her.

All she got to do was to make a choice.

 

 

 

“Tomorrow, Saki will be with me forever.” Kyu smiled at his hyungs as his showed them the sparkling ring he just bought.

“You’re not going to attend Junsu’s wedding?” Heechul asked.

“They don't need me there anyway and i'm not invited.”

“Are you sure Saki will accept your proposal?” Ryeo Wook was skeptical about it but their maknae was determined as ever and they knew that nothing could stop him.

“The dolphin is getting married; she cannot do anything about it.” He smirked.

“You finally got what you want.” Kibum hissed, like the others, he was also against the wedding.

“Yeah. I’m glad it was Junsu hyung that made the move. I was saved from doing things that may cause a lot of trouble.”

“I cant believe you are actually saying that.” Siwon said.

“Yeah. You are heartless.” Added Yesung.

Kyu frowned at his hyung.

“Who proposed to Zhang? Junsu right? No one told him to do it and now, he got what he wanted.”

“But we all know that they both love one another.” Said Donghae.

“Hyung, it’s too late for that. Junsu made his decision and he can’t back out now.”

“That wedding is just a big mistake.” All heads suddenly turned to where that voice came from. It was from Hankyung who was also against the wedding.

“Right.” Kyu hissed. “So everyone is against me now.”

“No one is against you.” Leeteuk said with some deadly glare. “It’s just that the timing is so wrong. Can’t you wait?”

“Why wait? Wait for what?” the stubborn Kyu said that made Leeteuk flamed.

“This is useless.” Leeteuk slammed the book he was reading at the floor and went to his room.

“Good night everyone. Shindong said and followed the leader. Kyu Hyun was left in disbelief. No one was supporting him to his decision. That made him hurt but he will continue it anyway.

 

 

 

The morning that Saki wished that will never come finally welcomed her warmly.  She heard Jaejoong talking to Mr. Lee outside but she didn’t dare to move or to flinch. She was at the same position she had last night. Her head resting at the side of her head while her body was lifeless sitting on the floor with hundreds of little capsules scattered on the floor.

She heard someone knock but she didn’t respond. It was Jae whose knocks were gentle at first but slowly became frantic and in desperation.

“Lee! Give me the keys!” she heard him shout from the outside but she just remained on her place and waited for him to enter. Her body felt so weak and a single move would take forever to make.

“Saki!” Jaejoong’s eye widened when he saw the capsules scattered around the floor. He gently pulled her and shook her shoulders, trying to wake her up.

“Saki what did you do?!” he yelled frantically.

“O-oppa?” she mumbled and tried to smile at him. “A-are y-you still mad at me?”

“I’m not mad at you. Tell me what you did?” he assured her but it wasn’t enough to make her feel okay.

“I want to die Oppa.” She whispered.

“Saki?”

“I want to die but I can’t kill me self.” She smiled bitterly. “Can… can you do it for me?” she begged and Jae hugged her so tight that her lungs almost collapsed.

“Stop this Saki. You have to be strong.” He said in a broken tone.

“He’s getting married today. He will give his surname to her…” and she began pouring out her tears again.

“It’s not the end Saki. You can still find your happiness.” He said and kissed her forehead.

“Junsu is my happiness.”

“Saki…” he said sympathetically.

He then asked Mr. Lee to tell the guys that he will not make it to the wedding. Junsu needs him to be there but Saki needs him more. He just couldn’t leave her alone.

“No Oppa…” She tried to stand but tripped on his arms. Jae carefully laid her down to her bed and tucked her in. “Go on… you have to be there. Don't worry about me.” She said hoarsely. Even her voice was turning its back on her

“No, I’m staying here beside you.” he said sternly.

“I’ll be okay. I promise. I will see Kyu later and everything will be okay.” She wasn’t sure of what she was saying but that’s only way to make Jaejoong attend the wedding and for her to be alone.

“But…”

“Oppa?” she smiled and nodded. “Go on… Junsu is waiting for you.”

 

8:30 am

The church bells rung at a small chapel at the country side. The pastor and the visitors prepared for that special day. Zhang’s parents were all smiles when they arrived and greeted their future son in law whose face was indescribable.

“Junsu.” Yoochun whispered to his friend . “Taeyeon called. They said they will not attend.”

“I understand.” Junsu who was in all black nodded. SNSD showed their protest by not attending.

“What’s with the black? You’re getting married.” He growled.

“It feels like I’m attending my own funeral.” He smiled and looked down.

“Don't say that.”

Junsu was about to say something when he heard Yunho called.

He pulled him away from the growing crowd and eyed him sternly.

“You have still 30 minutes.” Yunho hissed.

Junsu answered him innocently.

“30 minutes of what?”

“Junsu don't play dumb on me now.”

“I don't have the plan to back out.”

“How about Saki?”

“I gave her the choice.”

“Junsu… you are making the biggest mistake of your life.” He said, still trying to convince him to cut off the wedding.

“It doesn’t matter anymore hyung. Please, just be happy for me.”

Yunho wanted to say more but his attention was shifted away from Junsu when he saw SHINee came with a girl that made his forehead wrinkled. The girl’s hand was hooked into the arms of the guy he started to hate silently. He wanted to curse and break his bone that moment but he stopped himself as a respect for Junsu.

 

 

Saki slowly brushed her cheeks with some powder in front of her dresser. She decided to see Kyu. She was wearing a simple black dress to let the whole world know that she was mourning. Even her heels were black and her accessories. Nothing at that moment could lift her spirits. As the clock ticked, it felt like her life was slowly being taken away from her. She took a glance at the clock on her wall and her chest began to beat heavily and frantically once again.

8:45 am. 15 minutes before the wedding.

She looked away and started to brush her wavy brown hair. Her fairytale will officially be broken after fifteen minutes and it made her more uneasy.

‘Go and stop the wedding.’ A part of her said.

‘Kyu is waiting for you’ another part whispered. And she found herself in the middle of two things.

 

That feeling continued inside the taxi on her way to the SM Ent. where Kyu was patiently waiting with his ring.

‘Saki, Junsu is waiting for you.’ her mind said. She balled her fist nervously and looked at her watch.

9:00 am.

The wedding finally started.

“It’s not right.” She whispered to herself.

‘There is no right or wrong thing when it comes to love.’

And that did it. She took her phone with her trembling hands and dialed Kyu’s number.

“Kyu…” she said when the guy answered. “I’m sorry.” and hang up.

She then tapped the shoulder of the driver and said.

“Turn back. We’re going at the wrong place.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

The choir started singing and Changmin sadly played the wedding march on the piano. It was supposed to be a happy gathering but every face looked like they were at the funeral. Only Zhang and her parents were smiling that moment. Even Hankyung was frowning during the march. No one was obviously enjoying the scene. Even Junsu’s mom and twin brother were not so happy about it. Junsu’s mom adores Saki and she felt sad that his son was not marrying her.

And soon it came. Zhang finally entered the church wearing the gown every bride would envy. She was all smiles as she made her march down the aisle. Her hair was perfectly looped into an elegant bun, making her pretty face stood out. She was the bride everyone wished to have except for Junsu whose mind was somewhere else… somewhere away from that church.

 

 

“Ah! Traffic!” The taxi driver smacked his steering wheel.

“Can you do something about it?” Saki worriedly asked. nher heart racing inside her chest.

“I’m afraid not. We are in the middle of traffic jam. I think there’s an accident in front of us.”

“Ah yah!” she cried in desperation.

“I’m sorry.” She heard the driver said.

“It’s okay.” She said and gave him the fair and quickly stepped out of the taxi. She decided to run her way to the church. She will get Junsu, her dolphin from that Zhang girl by hook or by crook.

 

 

“Xiah.” Zhang whispered to get Junsu back to earth.

“Huh?” he said, puzzled.

“It’s time.” She said.

Junsu took a last look at the church’s door and hoped that Saki will pop out from there but he failed so he finally accepted the fact that he will going to spend the rest of his unlucky life to the girl he hate the most.

 

She ran frantically and as fast as she could. She had never run like that before and she felt like her lungs were about to collapsed.  But that didn’t stop her and continued. She run because her life and happiness depended on it. She was about to turn at a corner when she stepped on a rock and her heels broke.

 

“Damn!” she yelled as she fell on the ground. People started to stare at her but she didn’t mind them. She took off her shoes and took a step only to fell on the ground once again. Her ankle twisted and it was so painful that it made it hard for her to stand.

“Not now!” she pleaded on her ankle as she tried to stand.

“Miss… Need help?” a guy came to her.

“No!” she tried to stand once again and dusted her dress.

With the shoes on her hand, she hopped her way to the church and silently prayed that the wedding was not starting yet.

 

 

“Kim Junsu, do you take this Zhang Li Yin to be your lawful wedded wife and promise to be with her, to love and to hold for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?” the pastor said to the absent minded Junsu.

And a moment of silent.

Everyone inside that church was silently praying that Junsu will change his mind.

He took a deep breath and looked at Zhang’s eyes and smiled heavily.

“I do.”

 

 

 

Tears and sweat mixed on Saki’s face and her hair was a complete mess but she didn’t care. She was only a few meters away from the church that’s why she doubled her speed and pushed herself to the limit to reach the place. Her feet were wounded but still, it didn’t stop her from running as fast as she could and finally she reached the church.

She smiled and panted at the same time. She made it. She will get her guy from Zhang. She readies her voice for a yell as she forcedly opened the door of the church.

And silence greeted her.

People inside it looked at her like she was crazy.  They were taking out the flowers and the decorations out of the church and … reality hits her.

 

 

 

 

 

The wedding was over.

 

 

 

 

 

********************************************************************************************

The next chappy will be the final one…..

 

 

 

 

Replies with be on the chappy too…..

 

 

Keep your comments, suggestions and violent reactions comings…. And I cant promise a happy ending… I’m still thinking about it….

 

 

Haha

 

 

Love yah all

 

 

aejae22

BY HOOK OR BY CROOK