Chapter 20

Memories of Yesteryear

It was already midnight and she's still wide awake. She's not bothered by the fact that she still have classes the next day, her mind was wandering elsewhere. 

She groaned when she saw the blank page in front of her. How long has she been thinking? She even lost count, it was all new to her. 

Drawing gives her euphoria. But now it gives her desolation and frustration, how come she doesn't know what to do even when she's been doing it all her life?

She repeated her brother's words in her mind. She's desperate to finish it, now she's not going to care on how her work will end up. 

Her hands drew figures, made shapes. Her heart was the one that's leading and her mind was cooperating well. 

Her work was done and she felt her lungs constricted. Confusion ate up her mind, maybe she's just worried so she shrug her work of thinking that she may have another idea when the morning comes. 

A few hours of sleep wasn't enough for her. Dark circles are visible on her face but she could care less, the silence greeted her. 

She remembered. Her brother's at work already, she needs to get going herself. An idea popped on her mind as she hastily drew another landscape. 

Great. That would be her homework.

Satisfied enough. She teared the last drawing she made from the sketchpad the night before and folded it neatly, hiding it inside one of her personal notebooks. 

No one's going to see it, she thought. 

Taeyeon made her way to school only to be greeted by a familiar figure walking down the same street as hers. Knowing who is it, Taeyeon skipped her way to the figure. 

"Good morning Baekhyun!" Taeyeon brightly greeted making the person jump in surprise. 

"You surprised me.. good morning to you too" Baekhyun said while giving her a small smile. Taeyeon  just walked beside him oblivious to the fact that she's torturing his poor heart.

"When did you discharged?" Taeyeon asked curiously. She remembered that Baekhyun was still at the hospital yesterday before she left.

"Oh, I got discharged yesterday. Kai and Yoona helped me" Baekhyun said and Taeyeon nodded. She felt bad that she wasn't there to accompany him too. 

"Sorry I wasn't there.. I'll make it up!" Taeyeon happily said and Baekhyun chuckled. She knows how to make him smile , she knows how to brighten up his mood. 

Please don't make me fall for you more, he thought. He smiled bitterly, he felt miserable. Why does life takes it hard on him even when he did nothing wrong?

Is it wrong to dream having her? 

"Are you alright?" 

He felt a warm pair of hands on his cheeks. He loved it, he loves that warmth from her. 

"I-I am.." Baekhyun said as he smiled but his eyes opposed him.

A single tear escaped his sad eyes. 

"Hey.. why, why are you crying?" Taeyeon asked as her thumb ran through his soft cheeks. The next move made her froze on her place. 

He hugged her. Tight. With his arms on his waist and his face buried on her shoulder. 

She just stood there. With her hands both on her sides, she's surprised.

"Is t-there s-something w-wrong?" Taeyeon asked. She suddenly felt lost, she seemed like she forgot breathing. Her heart seemed like to have gone crazy. 

"I-I.. I-I'm sorry, I think I just needed a hug" Baekhyun said as he broke their hug. He gave her a weak smile, he gave her hand a soft squeeze. 

"Thank you for the hug.. I.. I feel better now" Baekhyun said before leaving a confused Taeyeon. She never expected him to do such things like that, it startled her. 

Now.. she's getting more and more confused. 

"Taeyeon.. are you alright? You've been spacing out for quite a while" Yoona said making Taeyeon break her chain of thoughts. 

"Uhh.. yes. I'm alright, you don't have to worry about me" Taeyeon said before smiling. Now, she's getting better at lying. 

What is happening to her?

"Kai said he'll visit me later with Baekhyun.  Do you like to come with us?" Yoona asked and Taeyeon battled on her mind. 

How about what had happened earlier? Isn't it going to be awkward? But Baekhyun said he needed a hug right? It was just a friendly hug right? 

"Hello.. from earth to Kim Taeyeon" Yoona said and Taeyeon snapped back to reality. 

"Oh..I'll come" Taeyeon said and stopped when she realized what she said. 

"Really? Then it's settled, I'll see you later" Yoona said before leaving Taeyeon alone in the classroom. Why is she even bothered to see him? 

It's not they did something wrong right? It's just going to be the usual meeting like before, she thought. 

"It's okay if you don't want to come Baekhyun.. I know you still hurting--" 

"It's alright.. I can do it" Baekhyun said and Kai sighed before giving his friend a nod. He can see how Baekhyun is breaking inside out yet he can't do anything. 

He hated it. 

He hated seeing Baekhyun all weak just because of a certain girl he had fallen for.

"Hello guys!" Yoona greeted them with a big smile on her face. She hugged Kai and gave Baekhyun a warm smile, Taeyeon was just standing on her place. 

Her face shows uneasiness. 

"Hi Yoona.. Taeyeon.." Baekhyun said and Taeyeon just gave him a small smile. Yoona, sensing the awkward atmosphere, stood beside Taeyeon while eyeing the two. 

"Is there something wrong?" Yoona asked and Taeyeon lifted up her head and beaming a smile. 

"No, there isn't.. right Baekhyun?" Taeyeon said making Baekhyun look up too. "Yes.." he answered causally. 

"Then.. we'll leave you two first" Yoona said before letting go of Taeyeon. "Why do you always like to leave us?" Taeyeon suddenly asked making Baekhyun flinch. 

"Come on.. you never complained before bye!" Yoona said she then dragged Kai away from the two. Now, silence wrapped around them and they both didn't like it. 

"It's okay if you don't want to come with me.. I'll leave" Baekhyun said and he turned back and started walking away. Taeyeon mentally scolded herself. 

Contemplating. She ran after him and grabbed his wrist making him turn to her. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way.." Taeyeon said and dragged him to the nearest tree. There, they took a seat with silence filling up again. 

"I.. uhh.. I'm sorry" Taeyeon said before looking sideways and biting her lip mentally scolding herself again. 

"It's alright. There's nothing to be sorry about.." Baekhyun said and Taeyeon took a deep breath before speaking again. 

"So.. how are you?" Taeyeon asked and Baekhyun sighed.

Broken, he thought. 

"I'm fine.. hospital's killing me" Baekhyun said and Taeyeon chuckled. 

"What? I mean, it's supposed to be the other way around" Taeyeon said and Baekhyun forced a smile. He leaned his back at the tree before taking a deep breath. 

"I just hate being there.." Baekhyun said before glancing at Taeyeon who was looking at him. She looked away as soon as their eyes met. 

"Why?" Taeyeon asked. 

Because I'm not able to see you everyday. Not like this, he thought. 

"I hate the atmosphere.." he said and Taeyeon nodded before taking a notebook out of her bag. She opened it and Baekhyun just watched her. 

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun asked. "I need to meet one of my teachers right now. Can you wait for never or if I take too long you can go home" Taeyeon hastily said before standing up abruptly. 

She ran away without even waiting for Baekhyun to say anything. 

Baekhyun just stayed there until a white folded paper caught his attention. It must have dropped from Taeyeon's notebook earlier.

Baekhyun unfolded it and his lungs constricted. 

"N-No.." 

"The landscapes great.. but I think it would be better if I see you draw a person's portrait" Mrs. Lee said and Taeyeon forced a smile. 

"I did drew a portrait ma'am.. but you..know me" Taeyeon said and she shyly scratched her nape. Her teacher just smiled, she remembered how Taeyeon worked hard just to finish a person's portrait.

"I see but you always drew yourself or your brother's" her teacher said and Taeyeon shyly smiled getting what her teacher meant. 

"I want to see you draw another one.." her teacher added and Taeyeon took her notebook out. She scanned the pages but she didn't saw what she's looking for. 

"Is there something wrong?" Mrs. Lee asked and Taeyeon gave her an apologetic look. 

"I'll leave my sketches to you ma'am.. I'll take it tomorrow" Taeyeon said she then excused herself out of the faculty room. She ran back to the last place she's been to. 

The tree where she and Baekhyun sat. She looked around but he's nowhere to be found. 

No it can't be. 

"Yoona.. you have to see this" Baekhyun said while giving Yoona the folded paper. He ran around the school just to find her and show it. 

He can't be wrong. 

"What is this?" Yoona asked Baekhyun. Kai just watched them standing up from the bench he and Yoona are sitting at, Baekhyun seemed like he's in some kind of trouble. 

"Open it.." Baekhyun said and Yoona did. She stared at the paper and back at Baekhyun. Kai did too and he's surprised. 

"That fell out of her notebook.. earlier" Baekhyun said and Yoona's face lit up. A smile formed on her face before looking at Baekhyun. 

"She's caught.." Yoona said. They heard footsteps at their back and saw a certain blonde standing a few meters behind them. 

Baekhyun froze on his place. Their eyes met. 

"Give it back to me.." 

_______________________________________________________________

A/N: oh my freaking goodness.. what the hell is happening?!

Taeyeon's caught? *evil laugh*