Chapter 17

Memories of Yesteryear

"Baekhyun, you know I don't believe--" 

"I know, and.. and I'm saying that I like you as.. as my friend and nothing more. I befriend the people I like taeyeon and you're one of them. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said" Baekhyun said as he tried to come up with good words but no. Taeyeon pushing him away from that hug they shared was enough for him to be hurt. 

"I'm.. I'm sorry if I overreacted and misunderstood you but please.. let's just stay friends don't like me further than that" Taeyeon pleaded and Baekhyun nodded his head. Tears are threatening to fall down his eyes and he tried hard to held it in. 

He felt crap. He felt rejected already. 

"I.. of course. I'm sorry too, I shouldn't have used those words now you misunderstood what I meant. I'm really sorry" Baekhyun said and although he denied what he really meant with those words, he felt indirectly rejected by her.

"I really thought that you meant it the other way.." Taeyeon said as she sighed in relief while Baekhyun wanted to  disappear right now. 

He felt like he's stabbed repeatedly.

Why can't he just confess to her? Why did he take his words back when he saw Taeyeon's surprised eyes? 

Why did he felt sudden fear? Why is he a coward?

"No, I mean I can't risk our friendship right? So you can trust me" Baekhyun said as he faked a smile. Now how can he be able to confess to her when the first try was already a fail? 

Maybe if he didn't made an excuse about what he said Taeyeon would be avoiding him now. He hated his life more, thinking how miserable he is. 

Now he sees how Taeyeon can just do it to him again. 

"I'm glad  you're not like the other guys I met.." Taeyeon said while looked down. Baekhyun just swallowed the invisible lump that was on his throat. 

"Why?" Baekhyun asked. Nothing beats the pain he's having now, but what can he do right? He doesn't want Taeyeon to avoid him so even if it means that he have to get hurt only to see Taeyeon everyday. 

Then he would do that. 

"They.. they befriend me and then one day when we got all close they would just confess.. it's not like I hate them but I just don't know. You never know how relationship ends right?" Taeyeon said and Baekhyun nodded

Trapped.

That's his situation right now. He's trapped between Taeyeon and his feelings . 

"I would never be like one of them.. I promise" Baekhyun said and he turned to walk away but after a few steps he stopped. He can feel her gaze piercing through his back, he heaved out a sigh as he gave her a glance. 

"You'll be alright? Right?" Baekhyun asked without even giving her a single glance. He closed his eyes tightly as a single tear rolled down his eyes.

"Yes.. my brother will pick me up" He heard Taeyeon said and Baekhyun just nodded before he continued to walk away. His sobs got harder as his distance front Taeyeon became bigger. 

He never expected that life would play at him like that. He wanted to give up but he doesn't know what's keeping him to still hold on. 

It felt good when he told her how he felt but it really felt bad when she pushed him away from the hug and gave him a disbelief look. 

Seeing her act like that was enough for him to prove that she don't feel anything to him. Baekhyun passed by at the school and continued walking not even bothering to get his bike anymore. 

He's too drown with his thoughts that he didn't even noticed that he arrived home already. He sighed, it was quite a long walk but his body doesn't feel tired at all. 

It was his heart and mind. It was the things in him that was exhausted. 

Baekhyun entered the house only to be greeted by a roll of newspaper. He looked up lifelessly and if his father's glare could kill, he swear he would be dead by now. 

"What the hell is the ruckus you made at school?!" His father asked with an angry voice. Baekhyun didn't say anything but just looked down. 

"Tell me!" His father screeched again and Baekhyunclenched his fist tightly. He looked up with anger burning in his eyes, he's messed up and he can't think clearly. 

This day was just so bad at him.

"It was Seungri's fault.. he picked on me even when I didn't do anything wrong" Baekhyun explained but he felt himself being slapped by his own father. 

Baekhyun just closed his eyes, the pain wasn't new to him anymore. That's what he deserved, he thought. 

He's a useless crap  anyway. 

"Don't you dare lie to me! I knew all! Don't you think that attitude will work on me?! You always lie! You're a mistake! You're a disgrace!" His father said as he continued beating Baekhyun who just let his father do everything to him. 

By the end of the night, Baekhyun ended up lying on the cold floor. His eyes barely open anymore the pain he felt mentally and physically are equal now. 

He groaned in pain as he tried to lie on his back. His whole body ache from the beating he got from his father and his mom wasn't even there to help him or even cure him. 

He felt sick of it, he wondered why his father won't just kill him right away than do this to him. 

"Baekhyun.. Baekhyun are you alright?" Kai's voice echoed through the empty living room. He was worried about his friend and he had been trying to reach out to Baekhyun for about an hour now but he didn't picked up. 

A groan was just heard on the other line and Kai doesn't know what to say anymore. "I'll come there.." Kai worriedly said and weakly Baekhyun spoke. 

"Don't come.. I'm..alright" he said as he hang up. Kai can't do anything with it since he knows that he can't meddle with Baekhyun's own business with his father. 

Kai wanted to help but it's Baekhyun's choice not to anymore. He doesn't want to turn up against his father.

The next day came and Kai went to Baekhyun's house early. He saw Baekhyun walking weakly, he was limped and he's holding on his stomach like it was in pain. 

His face had bruises and he has bloodshot eyes. Small scrapes were seen too. 

"What the hell happened?!" Kai suddenly asked making Baekhyun jump in surprise. His eyes were lifeless, his face was expressionless. 

"Nothing.." Baekhyun answered with his hoarse voice and Kai held Baekhyun's shoulder making Baekhyun wince in pain. 

"You say that it's nothing?! How come?!" Kai asked and Baekhyun shook his head. 

"Just let me be... I deserve this life" Baekhyun said blankly and Kai shook his head. Baekhyun looked like he's a walking dead and it feared Kai. 

He doesn't like sewing Baekhyun that way. 

"Thank you doc.." Kai said and the doctor left. Baekhyun tried to go up and Kai pushed him back. 

"I already called our professor. I told him you can't come since you're brought to the hospital and I'll be late since I accompany you here. It's alright with him, if you're worried about your dad the professor told me that he's going to handle it" Kai explained and Baekhyun just nodded before giving him a weak smile. 

"So what really happened?" Kai asked and the expression on Baekhyun's face changed. Kai saw the sudden action and sighed, it must have been a big deal to Baekhyun. 

"Taeyeon rejected me.." Baekhyun said and Kai's eyes widened. "She rejected you?!" Kai asked in disbelief and Baekhyun meekly nodded. 

"I told her that I liked her but she told me that she doesn't believe in love so I told her that I only like her as a friend and nothing more. For short I lied to her about my feelings.." Baekhyun said and Kai gave him a confused look. 

"Before she can even say no to me I told her that I only mean it as a friend. Nothing more and she believed it.." Baekhyun said and Kai sighed frustratedly. 

"You should have taken the risk.." Kai said and Baekhyun shook his head. "It wasn't easy Kai.. if you only saw the look on her face yesterday" Baekhyun said and he sighed. Again those painful memories of an indirect rejection played on his mind. 

"I won't blame you.. it's not that Taeyeon knew that you mean the other way right?" Kai asked ans Baekhyun shook his head.

"She knows that I only like her as a friend.."

"What will you do now? You just made harder.." Kai said with a worried voice and Baekhyun forced a smile.

"Be her friend..if that's the only way I can stay close to her then so be it"

_______________________________________________________________

A/N: update!!!! 

Drama drama drama