The Girl With A Wounded Past

The Way We Used To Be

After they were far enough from Wang Zi and Xiao Xun, Guigui turns to them, “Hey you guys, sorry but I no longer have an appetite to eat.  How about we go somewhere and drink instead?”

They all knew that Guigui was feeling down and so they all agreed.  They cross the street and entered into a bar.  They sat down at a table and Guigui began to order shots.  At first they thought that she was ordering it for all of them, but when it arrived; Guigui quickly started scuffing down the drinks.  One by one, she took them all by herself and ordered a second round.

“Guigui, you should slow down,” Jiro said to her worriedly.

“No!  Tonight, let me drink to my heart’s content ok.” Guigui replied back.  

As Taecyeon sat at the table watching his wife-to-be drink, he turns to Aaron.  “Hey, aren’t you going to try to stop her?”

“No, I know her too well.  She is a very stubborn girl.  Even if I ask her to stop, she won’t.  She’s going to keep drinking until she is drunk out of her mind.  That’s just how she is.” Aaron answered Taec back.

“Hey, I am curious.  Tell me what happened between them,” Taec asked Aaron.

Aaron looks at Taec for a moment before nodding his head to indicate that he will tell Taec.  “Well, for the most part, you already know; Wang Zi was Guigui’s fiancé and Xiao Xun was one of Guigui’s closest friend.  You see, Guigui met Xiao Xun around the same time that I met her; which was right after she moved to the states.  We went to the same high school and college together.  When we were getting ready to enter into college, Xiao Xun was having issues with her family and Guigui told her to move in with her.  Guigui met the rest of these guys and Wang Zi during her freshman year of college.  They were in love with each other, I mean they were inseparable, we really thought that they would end up together; that is until Xiao Xun came in between them.  Xiao Xun has always been that kind of person you know; she was the total opposite of Guigui.  Xiao Xun is a really selfish person who loves money and attention and she would do anything to get it.  The first time she met Wang Zi at their house, she started throwing herself at him, and everytime we told Guigui; she would say that maybe we misunderstood the situation because Xiao Xun would never do that to her.  It didn’t take long before Wang Zi and Xiao Xun started messing around with each other behind Guigui’s back in her house.  Wang Zi would occasionally suggest that they should come clean to Guigui, but Xiao Xun would refused, saying “If we tell her, then she would kick me out of her house and I won’t have any place to go or any money to use.  Besides, it’s more exciting this way isn’t it.”  When I heard her say that to Wang Zi once, I went and told Guigui.  Guigui went and ask them if anything was going on, and if there were, she would understand and let Xiao Xun have Wang Zi because Xiao Xun was really important to her.  They both denied it immediately like some cowards.  Wang Zi continued to date Guigui and Xiao Xun.  When it was their 3 year anniversary, Wang Zi asked Guigui to marry him.  Like Guigui mentioned earlier, his father’s company was in crisis and they needed some really big investment to go into the company.  Guigui didn’t have a clue about anything.  They were engage for almost a year before we started hearing weird rumors about his father’s company and about him cheating on Guigui with Xiao Xun.  So we hired some private detectives to find out the truth.  When we finally had enough proof to convince Guigui, there wasn’t much that we could do anymore.  We were unable to do anything to protect her from getting hurt, we all knew the pain that it was going to cause Guigui.  We didn’t want her to get tricked into marrying him, especially when all he was after was her money.  So, we did what any family would do for their loved ones, we gave Wang Zi the money that he needed to help turn  his father’s company around, and in return, he was going to have to come clean to Guigui about everything.  That was the terms of the agreement that we had with him and he agreed, especially since Xiao Xun ended up being pregnant.  He finally told her everything about Xiao Xun and the reason behind their engagement.  When she found out, she was exactly like this as well, trying to drink her pain away.”

“I see, so that is why you guys act the way you do now when it comes to Guigui huh?” Taec asked.

“Yes, we don’t want to see her get hurt again.  It was so painful for her, and painful for us as well.  Knowing that the person who you care about is hurting and there is nothing you can do to help make it go away.  That kind of feeling just makes you want to lay down and die,” Aaron replied.

“So, how long ago did this happen?  I mean, with Guigui and them two?” Taec asked.

“It has been about almost a year now.  It happened about 5 months ago before she came to Korea.  Right after that happen, your father came to visit her, and he found out about what had happened.  He was so upset about the new that he almost bought Wang Zi’s fathers company and shut it down.  But after we convinced him not to, he suggested to Guigui that she should marry you.  That way, he would be able to make sure that she was loved and taken care of; instead of being used for her wealth.  She saw how worried your father was, and so to help ease his mind, she agreed.  She is the kind of girl who don’t want to be a burden to anyone, no matter how painful it is; she will always try to keep it to herself.  She may seem like a strong girl, but she isn’t.  Guigui is a really kind girl you know, sometimes she is too kind that it causes people to take an advantage of her.  When she trust a person, she would trust them whole heartedly without holding back.” Aaron replied.

“5 months before coming to Korea?  That means it’s only been 7 months so far.  No wonder she is acting like this right now, I bet she is still recovering from her wounds.  If I wasn’t here to witness it, I would never believe that this girl is the same girl that has been living with me.  All these times, she has been so cheerful, have she been pretending?” Taecyeon thought to himself.  “Man, I am really pathetic.  Yoona goes oversea for a year and I am whining like a baby, and yet, Guigui had her heart crushed by two of the most important people in her life and yet she is still able to trust, smile and move on.”

Taec turns and looks at Guigui drinking and getting drunk.  He gets up and goes over to her.  “Hey, how are you feelimg?  Any better?”

Guigui looks at him, without answering, she began to drink again.  Everybody gather around her and began to drink as well.  They drank and drank until finally, Guigui knocks out. 

“I think we should call it a night, she is too drunk,” Taec said as he carried her.

“Yeah, ok.  Make sure you take good care of her!” Jiro said with a sad look on his face.  “She has been through enough; remembering things that she shouldn’t have to.”

Taecyeon nodded his head and carried Guigui out to his car.  He gently placed her in the seat and drove off. 

Half way home Guigui wakes up and open her eyes without moving.  “Why didn’t he love me?” Guigui asked in a soft voice and tears in her eyes as she lays on the seat.  “I gave him everything I had, I loved him so much and yet, it wasn’t enough for him to love me.”

Taec, surprise that she has already woken up just looked at her not knowing how to respond.

“Man, I am really pathetic aren’t I?  I couldn’t even make my own boyfriend fall in love me,” Guigui responded to herself while letting out a chuckle. 

“Don’t say that Guigui, he wasn’t the right person for you…”Taec said, but before he could finish Guigui interrupted him, “I know, the right guy is still out there right?  That seems hard to believe.  Even you don’t like me.”

Taec was incapable of responding to Guigui’s question and so he remain silent.

“Don’t worry, I know you will never love me, and I don’t expect you to either.  I know I will have to leave after a year.  I just hope I won’t disappoint uncle, he has been so good to me.” Guigui said as tears began to roll down her face.  “You know, people see our lifestyles and they are envious of us.  But they only see the good side to being wealthy.  They will never understand all the pain that comes along with it.  All the hurt and insecurities that it brings.  Never knowing if people are approaching you because they want to get to know you, or if they have some kind of hidden agendas.”   She sits there silently for a moment and wiped her tears away as she takes in a deep breath, “Ok Guigui, tomorrow is a new day, I need to be happy and strong.  I can’t remain like this, or else I will become a burden to Taec, uncle, and everybody else who I hold dear to me.” She thought to herself.

After she finished wiping her tears, she turns to Taec and force a smile on her face, “Please forget everything that happened today.”

Taec nods his head and they silently drove home.