What Guigui left Behind

The Way We Used To Be

As Nichkun drops Taecyeon at home, Taec slowly gets out of the car and enters into the house.  Everything seemed so surreal to him, as if he is in a dream; he walks up to Guigui’s room and looked around.  Her room was empty, everything was cleared out; all that was left was the clothes that he had bought for her, they were still hanging in the closet neatly.  He walks around her room thinking to himself, “This can’t be happening.  Am I sleeping, this all feels like a dream.  How can she leave just like that without even telling me?”

Tongtong comes upstairs and notices that Guigui’s bedroom door was open.  She peeks inside to see Taecyeon sitting on the bed.  She walks in and asks if he needed anything.

“When did Guigui leave?” Taec asked.

“She left around 9:30” Tongtong answered back.

“Oh ok, did you know that she was leaving?”

Tongtong quietly nodded her head.  “She told me she was leaving last week.”

“After my father returned home?” Taec asked surprised.

Tongtong nods her head again.

As Taec silently sits on the bed, he thought to himself again, “Did you plan all of this Guigui.  When did you made up your mind and decided to leave?  Was being with me that hard for you?  Who am I kidding, of course it was hard.”

As Taec sits there thinking to himself, Tongtong walks out of the room and moments later; she enters the room again.  This time, she wasn’t empty handed.  She held out a yellow envelope to him.  He looks at it and then looked up at her, “What is that?”

“Guigui wanted me to make sure to pass this on to you,” Tongtong replied.

Taec takes the envelope out of her hands and looked at it before opening it up.  As he began to open the envelope, Tongtong leaves the room and closes the door behind her, giving Taec some privacy.  He peeks into the envelope to see what was inside.  He saw some documents and another little white envelope inside.  He pulls out the papers to take a look at it to see what they were.  To his surprise, those were their divorce papers.  He scans through the documents and sees that Guigui had already signed and date all of them.  He takes in a deep breath and puts them aside.  He then reaches inside the yellow envelop and takes out the little white envelope.    As he rips the side of the envelope to open it, he sees something falling out and hitting the ground, making a little noise.  He looks at the ground and notice that it was Guigui’s wedding ring.  He bends down and picks it up, looking at the ring that he had given her; that ring was supposed to symbolize their love and promise to each other.  Instead, after looking at it, he felt that all the ring did was brought sorrow and pain to the person wearing it.  He looks inside the white envelope and saw a letter.  He pulls it out and looks over it before actually reading it.

 

In the letter, Guigui wrote:

 

Taec oppa,

 

When you get this letter, I will gone.  You must be very surprised right now, am I right?  I am sorry that I was unable to tell you in person that I was leaving.  For some strange reasons, I felt that if I was to tell you face to face, it would be too hard for me to leave.  I came into your life so unexpectedly and so therefore, I figure I should leave the same way, which is to leave quietly so you can return back to your old life.  I don’t wish to disturb your life any more than I already had.  I am returning the ring back to you.  You know what’s weird, as I am sitting here signing our divorce papers and writing this letter to you, I feel like I am waking up from a dream.  I don’t know how you may feel about this marriage, but to me, it has been like a beautiful dream.  I was never able to fully grasp onto the fact that we were married, however, having a family again felt nice.  It was nice to be able to enjoy my meals with another person there, instead of always having to eat alone.  You know, I can vividly remember everything that we have done together and yet, when I think about it, it seems as if it was impossible that we did all of those things.  Even though our marriage was fake, our memories that we had created together was real.  I will cherish and always remember our moments together.  Seeing our marriage come to an end like this, I wish you nothing but the best and I also hope that one day, you and Yoona will be able to get marry.  I know that was all you ever wanted and wished for.  Regardless of how you may feel towards me, I just want to let you know that I appreciate everything that you had done for me.  I know that it has been really difficult for you, so thank you.  Because of you, I am able to leave Korea this time with some new and beautiful memories.     

Sincerely,

Gugiui

 

As Taec finishes reading the letter that was left behind for him, he felt even worse than how he did before.  Not only is he missing Guigui, he also felt guilty towards her.  Tears slowly rolled down his face as he stared at the ring again. 

“How can she say such things to a person like me?  All I ever did was used her, and yet, to her those were good memories.  I am not a person worth her thanking.  I never even did anything for her; everything that I did was for my own selfish reasons.” Taec thought to himself. 

After wiping away his tears, he gets up and walks out of Guigui’s room and into his bedroom.  He carefully placed the letter back into its original envelope and stuck it at the bottom of his drawer.  He sits there for moment thinking to himself before getting up.  He walks out of his room and frantically began looking for his father.  He enters the study room and sees his father sitting at the desk.  He storms in.

“Father, did you know that Guigui left?” Taec asked.

“Yes,” his father replied.

“Since when did you know?”

“Since the day I got back.  She came in and talked to me about it, why?”

“You should’ve told me about it.”

“She didn’t want you to know.  What could I do about it?”

“You could’ve still told me even if she begged you not to.”

“It was a private conversation between me and her; it didn’t have anything to do with you.”

“It had everything to do with me, I am her husband.  Didn’t you think I would’ve wanted to know if my wife was planning on leaving me?”

“So what if you were her husband.  If a wife confide in a priest during confession about her husband, is the priest supposed to go and tell the husband about what his wife says?  No, I don’t think so.”

“But you are not a priest!  You are my father.” Taec shouted angrily. 

“Same differences!  Oh, come to think about it, here.” Taec’s father said as he digs in the desk for a certain envelope and hands it over to Taec.

“What is this?”

“Open it and you will find out.”

Taec opens up the envelope and to his surprise; it’s his father’s will.  On there it stated that Taecyeon will inherit everything if his father is to pass away.  Taec looks up at his father with a surprised look.

“Why are you so surprise?   I told you that if you were to marry Guigui, I will give you everything, didn’t I.”

“Yes, and if I didn’t marry her, you were going to take away all of my inheritance.  That was the reason why I agreed to marry her back then.” Taec responded.

“Exactly!  So since you fulfilled your part of the deal, this is me; fulfilling my part of the deal as well.”

“What did Guigui say to you?  I mean, why did she want to leave?” Taec asked curiously.

“Why are you so curious?  Does it matter, she is gone now so I guess you can go back and date Yoona again.  I mean, that was what you wanted from the start.”

“No, I changed my mind.  I want to be with Guigui.  Father tell me, where is she going?”

“I can’t do that my son.  I promised Guigui that I will keep it a secret.”

“Why!?  I am your son; don’t you want my marriage to work?”

“Of course I do, especially when my daughter-in-law is Guigui; but, if you would’ve seen the way how she looked when she was talking to me, you’ll understand.  Seeing her in so much pain, knowing that I was the one who added onto those pain, I just want to let her be and let her heal.  That is all I can do for her right now and that is what I will suggest you do as well.  Give her some time and space, if she loves you, she will return to your side.”

Taec, unable to say anything else, walks out of the room and back to his room.  “What does he mean give her space and time?  What is he talking about when he said that she was in pain?  Was it because of me?  Was I the one who caused her to suffer?  I mean, if I match up the dates then it would definitely mean that it was because of me.  But how was I supposed to know that I was hurting her when she would never tell me how she felt.  She always kept her feelings bottled up, thinking that she has to deal with it alone; why couldn’t she have talked to me.  We could’ve worked things out.” Taec thought to himself.  “Argh who am I kidding here, even if she did try to talk to me about it; would I have listen.  I probably would’ve jumped to a conclusion or just ignored it.  No wonder she left!  Taec you idiot, you did this to yourself; there’s no one to blame but yourself.  You were the one who pushed her away.  Face it, she is better off without you hurting her.”

Taec lies in his bed with his face buried in his pillow as he drowns his head with thoughts of Guigui.