Becoming More Like Strangers

The Way We Used To Be

The following weekend, as Taecyeon and Guigui sits at the dining table enjoying their breakfast together in their pajamas, Yoona comes over unannounced.  She sees Taec and Guigui laughing and joking around together comfortably.  Taec hands Guigui an egg roll but before she could take it, Taec pulls it back laughing.

“YA!  If you aren’t going to give it to me than I will get one myself,” Guigui shouted at Taec.

“Ok here,” Taec answered while handing it back to Guigui.  “Here, say ah.”

Guigui looks at him for a moment, and started leaning in closer.  Before Taec was ready, she quickly ate it out of Taec’s chopstick while holding onto his hands so he would be unable to move it.  Yoona stares for a while thinking to herself, “That should be me, not her.”

“YA! YA! Are you a pig or something?  Why are eating food out of my hand for?” Taec said teasing Guigui.

“Hm.  I know oppa wasn’t going to give me the egg roll so I had to get it myself,” Guigui quickly responded.

Yoona lets out a loud cough and both Taec and Guigui turns to look.

“Oh Yoona, what are you doing here?” Taec asked surprised.

“Oh, good morning Taec oppa and Guigui.  I wanted to see if you wanted to go out, that’s all.  Are you busy oppa?” Yoona asked.

“No, hm let me go get dress first ok.” Taec said as he gets up from the table and walks upstairs.

Guigui, still seated at the table enjoying her meal, she looks up at Yoona, “Would you like to join me?”

Yoona walks closer over to Guigui and shakes her head.  “No thank you, I was actually planning on taking Taec out to have breakfast, but I see you have already taken care of that,” Yoona pauses for a second.  “You know Guigui, I was very shocked when I heard that you were married to Taec oppa.”

“Oh about that, Yoona I am sorry for lying to you.”

“Hm, it’s ok.  Oppa had explained everything to me already, about how he doesn’t love you but he had to married you so he could get his inheritance from his father.”

“Yes, you are right.  This whole marriage is fake.” Guigui responded. 

“Even so, I feel uncomfortable with you hanging around oppa.  To tell you the truth, I hate it.  Whenever I see you with Taec, I always feel jealous.  I know that jealousy is an ugly trait to have, especially when you are just trying to help him, and I know how selfish I must sound right now but Guigui, can you not hang  around oppa anymore?  He may not say anything to you, but he always tells me how uncomfortable and burdensome it is for him to be around you because he knows that he doesn’t love you and yet, he has no choice but to stay.”

Guigui, shocked from what she just heard, sat there for a moment before answering with a smile.  “Don’t be so hard on yourself, feeling jealousy and being selfish because of the other person just goes to show how much you love one another.  I will try not to spend so much time with him.”

“Omo, really Guigui.  You promised!” Yoona asked excitedly.

Guigui sits there and nods her head, “Yeah, I promise.  I know it must be hard for you and Taec oppa.”  Guigui then thinks to her, “So oppa saw me as a burden huh.  He wasn’t comfortable enough to tell me himself so he had Yoona come tell me instead.  Guigui, you need to get a hold of yourself and stop burdening people around you.”

As Yoona excitedly jumps up and down with a big smile on her face, Taec comes back downstairs.

“Ok, I am ready” Taec answered.  He turns to Guigui, “Are you still eating Guigui, seriously.  You know if you keep eating, your stomach will explode.”

Taec stands there with a smile on his face, expecting to hear Guigui snap back; instead Guigui sits quietly at the table.  He looks up at Guigui and noticed that there was something wrong.  He walks over to her and puts his hand on her shoulder as he lean in closer to her face so he can get a better look.  “Guigui, are you ok.  What’s wrong?”

Guigui quickly looks up and see Yoona staring with an angry expression her face, Guigui then quickly removed Taecs hand from her should, “It’s nothing, I am fine.  I was just lost in my own thoughts, that’s all.  You should hurry up and go, Yoona is still waiting for you.”

“Oh that’s right,” Taec answer back and looks up at Yoona.  “Ok, let’s go Yoona.”

They got into Taec’s car and left.

As the days quickly passed by and turned into weeks, Taecyeon and Guigui’s did not spend much time spend together alone anymore.  Every morning and night, Yoona would come over and have her meals with them after seeing how comfortable Taecyeon and Guigui was together before.  Yoona hated the fact that Taec was married, and soon enough, she started hating Guigui as well.  She started to believe that Guigui was out to steal her boyfriend and so soon enough, Taec was no longer allow to eat breakfast and dinner alone with Guigui anymore.  Instead, he had to rush over to Yoona’s house to enjoy his meal with her before going to work and returning home. 

 

Seeing Taec constantly running back and forth, Guigui felt bad for him; she thought that it would be to exhausting for him, also there was the promise that she had made to Yoona.  So she decided to tell Taec that he was no longer required to have his meals with her.  Instead, she insisted that he go and enjoy his meals with Yoona. 

Taecyeon began hanging around Yoona more often and as for Guigui, she was always left alone by herself.  However, Guigui was always in the back of Taec’s mind and she would occasionally come out.  There would be occasional times when Taec would miss the company of Guigui and there are also the occasional times when he would think about what she is doing while he was with Yoona.  Sometimes, he would eat at Yoona’s house and then come home and sit at the dining table with Guigui.  Even though he didn’t actually eat dinner with her, he would sit there teasing and enjoying a conversation with Guigui until she finishes her meal. 

Slowly but surely, Guigui began to eat her meals on her own without the habit of waiting for Taec anymore.  She also began to go to sleep without waiting up for Taec to return home.  Taec began to notice that there was suddenly a wall building up between Guigui and him; Guigui was distancing herself away from him and he didn’t understand why.  She was no longer having long conversations with him, everything that he asked was answered back with a yes or a no.  Taec began to missed the times, conversations, and jokes that he had with her.