Breaking the News

The Way We Used To Be

As their afternoon together quickly passed by, it was time for Yoona to return home and Taec’s father also returned to his room to rest.  Taec and Guigui were left alone in the living room.  Guigui quickly gets up and started carrying the trays of snack into the kitchen; seeing Guigui cleaning up the living room, Taec gets up to help her.  He carried the trays filled with teacups and placed them in the sink.  He asked one of the maids to come and washed the dishes and cleans up the remaining mess in the living room.  As Guigui makes her way back out to the living room, she notices that the maids were already cleaning everything.  She offered to help but they insisted that she just relax.  Unable to do anything else, Guigui sits on the couch, watching them.  Taec comes back out and sees Guigui sitting there, he smiles to himself as he watches her from afar for a while.

“Can it be true; am I really in love with her?” Taec suddenly thought to himself.  “I do feel happier now that she is here again, and the entire time we were sitting together while having snacks and tea, I couldn’t take my eyes off her for some reason.  Argh, what is going on?”  After moments of staring at Guigui, Taec walks up to her, “I feel really stuff right now, you want to go take a walk with me?”

“Hm.  Oh hum no, it’s ok.” Guigui quickly answered and turn around to watch the speedy maids clean.

“Why not?  If you don’t walk it off, your stomach will grow really big like a balloon and then one day it will explode, you know that?” Taec replied back, trying to provoke Guigui into agreeing to take a walk with him.

Instead of being swayed into going, Guigui gets up and turns to Taec, “Oppa, I am tired, I’m going to take a rest for a bit in my room, and then I have a lot of work that I must finish before this week ends.  I will see you later for dinner.” 

As Guigui was about to leave, Taec grabbed onto her arm.  Afraid that his father may hear, he drags Guigui outside.  “Guigui, are you mad at me?  Is it about what my dad said earlier about Yoona and me holding hands?  If that is the reason why you’re upset, then you shouldn’t be.  It wasn’t like that.”

Guigui stares at him for a moment in surprise before shaking her head and trying to break loose from his grip.

“What is it then?  Is it……….is it because of the argument we had last week?  That was so long ago, if you want me to apologize to you then I…………” Taec responed, but before he could finished, Guigui interrupted him.

“It’s neither of that.  You don’t need to explain anything to me about you and Yoona.  I know you guys are in a relationship and I am ok with it.  As far as apologizing goes, you don’t need to either, this marriage is nothing but a business transaction between two willing parties.  So don’t worry about it,” Guigui quickly responded as she was finally able to break free from Taec’s now loose grip.  Guigui turns around and walk into the house, making her way up to her room.

“Yes that’s right, this marriage is a fake.  I need to distance myself from him or else I won’t be able to leave,” Guigui thought to herself as she sits in her room quietly.  “I should tell uncle tonight.”

Soon it was time for dinner and all three of them made their ways downstairs.  They came and sat down at the table as the maids served them their foods.  Taec, constantly looking over at Guigui, wondering what was going on with her.  Why was she acting so distance all of a sudden again, was it because they’ve been apart for a week?  Or maybe it’s because she and Aaron had started their relationship.  These questions kept popping up in Taec’s mind. 

After they were finished eating, Guigui turns to her uncle, “Uncle, are you busy?  I have some things that I need to discuss with you in private.”

“Oh really, sure.  Let’s talk about it in the study room ok.” Her uncle replied.

Guigui nods her head and follows him into the room, closing the door behind her. 

Taec watches from the dining table as he stood up and made his way into his room; thinking to himself, “I wonder what it is that she needs to talk to my father about in private?  Can it be that she is going to tell him the truth behind our marriage?  No, she wouldn’t do that, would she?  Is she trying to get revenge on him and Yoona?”

Taecyeon’s father goes and sits down behind the desk and gesture for Guigui come closer and have a seat.  “What’s on your mind Guigui?”

“Uncle, there is something that I need to tell you.” Guigui answered.

“Ok, what is it?  Is something troubling you?”

“Well you see uncle, I……” Guigui pauses.  “I….hum…….I want a divorce uncle.” Guigui finally manages to respond.

Shocked from the news, Taec’s father sits there in silence.  “What brought this up Guigui?  Is it because of what happened this afternoon between Taecyeon and Yoona?”

Guigui shakes her head, “No uncle, this has nothing to do with Taec oppa.  This is my decision and mine alone.”

“Why all of a sudden?  I thought you and Taec was happy?  Did something happen while I was away?  Did Taec do something; if he did I will scold at him for you ok.  Please Guigui, reconsider.”

“Uncle please, this is hard enough for me as it is.”

“What is hard?  What is making it so difficult for you?  Please tell me Guigui.”

“This whole marriage is too hard for me uncle.  I can’t look at Taec oppa in the face and keep lying to him anymore.  I thought that I would be able to get over my ex-boyfriend, but the truth is……The truth is that I can’t.  Taec oppa has been so nice to me and he is trying really hard to make me happy, but…..But how can I be happy if he wasn’t the one I wanted, uncle.  Please understand.”

“Are you telling me that you are still not over that loser?  That loser who broke your heart and used you; the same loser who cheated on you with one of your best friend?”

“I’m sorry uncle, but…yes…I wish I can control my heart, but I can’t.  It feels whatever it wants to whether I want it to or not,” Guigui quietly answered as tears began to roll down her face.  She knew that everything she was telling him was a lie, and she knew that this may cause her uncle to hate her.  But still, she knew what she had to do in order for Taec to receive his inheritance and to be able to be with the one that he loved.

Her uncle shocked from her confession, “Guigui, do you understand what you are saying to me right now?

“Yes uncle, I do.  I am so sorry.”

“Why did you agree to the marriage then?”

“Because uncle, I couldn’t say no to you.  How was I supposed to turn down my only uncle who I love and respect so much?  I knew that you were worry about me after hearing what had happened.  I didn’t want to cause you any trouble and so…….and so I decided to agree.  But now, being with Taec, I realized how selfish we both were.  Here is a man who gave up everything and is trying his hardest to make me happy and yet….And yet, I can’t return the feelings back.  I am ashamed and unable to face him.  Please forgive me uncle.  I am so sorry.”

“Oh my dear Guigui, you have nothing to be sorry about.  This whole thing was my fault from the beginning.  I should have never forced you two to be married.  I didn’t know that I would be putting you through so much pain and heartache.  I just thought that maybe if I was able to get you and Taec married, all of your pain would disappear.  I didn’t realized how much you still loved that man.  I am the one who is ashamed.  Please Guigui, please forgive this old fool.  I have ruined your happiness.  I don’t even know how I am going to face you and your parents anymore after this big mistake that I had made.”

“Uncle, please don’t say that.  You are my beloved uncle, someone who has always loved and cared for me, and how do I repay you, by making you worry.  I should be asking for your forgiveness instead.”

As they both sat there with tears on their face for a while, her uncle finally nodded his head, “ok, I understand Guigui, have you told Taecyeon yet?”

“No uncle, and please, do not tell him.  I just want to leave quietly.  I don’t want to trouble him any longer.  I want him to be able to return to his old life.”

“Are you sure that is wise?  Do you not wish for him to know?”

“Yes uncle, I am sure.  It’s better this way if he doesn’t know.  So please, promise me that you won’t say a word about me leaving.”

Taecyeon’s father nods his head and agrees to keep the secret, “When are you planning to leave Guigui?”

“I wanted to leave sooner, but I also wanted to see you and talked to you about it first before I left.  So now that I have seen you, I will be leaving on Monday.”

“Can’t you stay a little longer?  My birthday is next weekend, can you at least stay until then.  I will be throwing a big birthday party for myself and I have invited many guests as well.  So please stay till then Guigui.”

“Ok sure uncle, after everything that you have done for me, the least I can do is stay for your birthday.” Guigui finally answered after thinking about it.

They sit in the office and talked some more about her plans to return back to the states and where she would be living.  After a long conversation, they were finally finished.  They exit the study room and returned to their own rooms.  Guigui lay in her bed thinking about everything.  She looks around her room and she sees the photographs of her and Taecyeon together.  She gets up and walks over to her desk, holding onto the photo.  As she stares at the picture, tears began to roll down her face again.  Suddenly, her phone began to ring.

Ring…..Ring…..Ring…………..

“Yes Aaron,” Guigui answered.

“What’s wrong Guigui, you sound like you’re crying?” Aaron answered back.

“Hm, it’s nothing.  So what is it that?”

“Oh, I was just calling you to let you know that you were in such a rush to get out of my car this morning, you left your laptop in my car.  Do you want it?”

“Oh really, I haven’t even noticed it yet.  I will come pick it up tomorrow.”

“Ok, so what’s wrong Guigui?  Are you going to tell me?”

“It’s nothing really.”

“Come on Guigui, you know you can’t hide anything from me.  So what is it, you told your uncle that you were leaving and now you’re sad?”

“Huh?  How did you know?”

“Guigui, I know you the best and I know that your uncle had returned back home.  So it’s not hard to figure out what’s going on with you.”

“Oh, well yeah.  I told him.”

“So how did he take it?  Is he ok?”

Guigui spent almost two hours on the phone with Aaron talking about everything that happened.  She cried on the phone and Aaron tried his best to console her since they were only speaking over the phone. 

“Do you feel better now?” Aaron asked with a concern tone.

“Yes I do, thank you for always listening to my problems,” Guigui answered.

“So when are you planning to go back to the states?”

“I can’t leave until after next week Monday,” Guigui answered as she wiped away her tears.  “My uncle’s birthday is this coming Saturday and he will be hosting a party.  Oh yeah, can you let everybody know about the party and have they come, this includes you too ok Aaron.”

“Sure Guigui, I can do that, and don’t worry ok.  We will all be by your side,” Aaron answered.

They finished talking and hang up the phone.  After crying to Aaron about what she was feeling, she felt better.  She walks into her bathroom and washed her face.  She than comes back out and lay in bed, taking in a deep breath.  She closes her eyes and soon enough, she was asleep.