Taec’s World Without Guigui

The Way We Used To Be

As the day turns to weeks, weeks turns to months, and months turns into 3 years; Taec slowly starts to get pass his feelings for Guigui.  It didn’t mean that he didn’t love her anymore, it just meant that he had learned to put his love for her inside a box and locked it away deep within his heart; although there are occasional times when he would open up his desk drawer and just stare for hours at their pictures together, especially when he is having a bad day or whenever his has too many things on his mind.  Although it was not easy for him, he slowly started to enjoy the little things in life again, instead of always thinking of Guigui.  He began to drown himself in his work and even though he wanted to break up with Yoona; after many nights of hearing her crying and begging for him to be with her, he finally gave in.   What Yoona said to him was correct, Guigui was gone and if he gives Yoona another chance, they could possibly fall back in love again.   It wasn’t impossible because at one point, she did mean the world to him.  One day as Yoona was cleaning out Taec’s room, she found a ring and it wasn’t the ring that Guigui was wearing.  No, it was a different ring, a ring that fitted her finger perfectly.  She was overcome with joy, thinking that Taec was going to finally ask her to marry him.  She slips on the ring and waited for him.  Once he entered into the room Yoona shouted “Yes.”

“Yes what?” Taec asked surprised.

“Yes, I will marry you oppa.” Yoona answered as she showed him the ring on her finger.

Taec walks up closer and sees that the ring was the one that he had bought her a long time ago.  It was the same ring that he was going to propose to her before he received her message that she had gone overseas.  He wasn’t sure on how to answer or how to break the news to her.  He wasn’t ready to get married again and yet, he felt bad towards Yoona.  She had been patiently waiting for him and he could tell that she had been trying her best to accommodate him.  He wasn’t sure on what to do or say, so he just stood there and smile at her.  As she began to go off planning their wedding, he was finally stopped her.

“Yoona wait,” Taec replied.

“What is it oppa?” Yoona asked.

“About this ring, about this wedding, you are misunderstanding..” Taec answered but before he was able to finish, tears began to roll down her face.

“You don’t want to marry me oppa?  Do you not love me?” Yoona asked in a sad voice as she wipes her tears away.

Unable to turn her down,” No, that’s not it.  What I was trying to say is…….let’s not think about the wedding yet ok.  Guigui and I are……..not divorce yet.  I still need my father to give her the divorce paper to sign first and get it filed before we should start planning the wedding ok.”

“Ok, I understand oppa.  I hope it doesn’t take too long.  I hope uncle will be able to meet her soon so he can give her the paper to sign.” Yoona answered with a smile on her face.

Taec nods his head and smiles back at her.  He didn’t want to tell her the truth because he didn’t want to hurt her; but the fact is that he was actually the one who never signed the divorce paper.  He didn’t want to take that final step because it would really mean that Guigui was no longer a part of his life.  A few days has past, and as Taec was at work, working; his phone began to ring.

“Oppa, do you want to go have lunch together?” Yoona asked him over the phone.

“Sure,” Taec answered.

“Ok, I am close by your workplace.  I will come pick you up.”

Taec hangs up the phone and began working again.  Soon he hears footsteps entering into his office; he looks up and sees Yoona standing by the door.

“Are you ready or do you want me to wait?”

“No, it’s fine.  I am ready,” Taec answered as he stands up and grabs his coat.  He walks over to her and she places her arms around his.  They walk out of the building and into her car.  As she drove them to the restaurant, he hardly talked.  He doesn’t know what it was, but somehow conversation between them two had become so superficial.  It’s usually, how are you doing, what are you doing, how are you feeling, did you miss me, I love you, I miss you, and his favorite, so how was your day today.  Their conversation felt so empty, it wasn’t like how Guigui and his conversation were.  With Guigui, nothing was off limits, they could talk about anything and everything.  Before he realized it, he started thinking about Guigui again.  His thoughts of her was interrupted when Yoona parked the car and turned to him.

“We’re here.”

“Oh, is this the new restaurant you were talking about that had just opened?”

“Yup, supposedly their food is incredible.” Yoona answer with a smile.

Taec smiles back at Yoona and they both get out of the car.  They go inside and walk up to the front desk.

“Hi, we would like a table for 2 please.”

“Sure, do you have reservation?”

“Reservation?  No, do we need to make one?”

“Oh I’m sorry sir.  Yes, we are really packed as you can see.  You must make a reservation first.” the receptionist answered.

“Oh ok, can we get a menu and your telephone number then.” Taec asked.

“Sure, one moment.” The receptionist goes behind the desk and pulls out one of their menu.  She comes back up to him and hand him the menu.  “Our phone number is on the menu as well.”

“Thank you and have a great day,” Taec replied.

“Thank you sir and you have a great day as well,” the server answered back.

Taec and Yoona walks out of the restaurant and back into her car, “Oppa, I am so disappointed.  I really wanted to eat there.”

“Yeah but we don’t have reservation so there isn’t anything we can do about it.  How about we just go to the restaurant that we usually always go to huh?” Taec asked.

Yoona nods her head and drives them to their usual dining place.  After they finished eating, she drops him back off at work and leaves again. 

 

Taec makes his way back into his office and as he began to work again, he noticed the date. “I didn’t even realize what today’s date was.  Today marks the 3rd years that Guigui had been gone.” Taec thought to himself. 

Remembering what day it was Taec is filled with sorrow again.  Every year since Guigiui left, once it becomes the day that Guigui had left him; he is filled with the painful memories of her suddenly leaving.  He hated today, this day was the worst day for him.  As he tries to continue on with working, his mind was filled with thoughts of Guigui.  He decided to leave work and go over to Nichkun’s house.  He gets out of the car and knocks on the door.

“Who is it?” Nichkun asked behind the door.

“It’s me, Taec,” Taecyeon answerd.

Nichkun opens up the door and sees Taec standing there with a case of beers.  He comes inside and goes sit down on the couch.  Jay is sitting there as well.

“Jay why are you here?” Taec asked.

“I don’t know, didn’t feel like going to work so yeah.  Why are you here?” Jay asked back.

“Same as you I guess.” Taec replied.

Nichkun comes into the living room and sits next to Taecyeon.

“So, what brought you here?” Nichkun asked Taec.

“Nothing much, just thought maybe we can drink,” Taec responded.

“I guess you’re thinking about Guigui again huh?” Jay and Nichkun answered.

Taec just smiled and nodded as he began to pass out a beer for each one of them.  After drinking and talking for a while, Nichkun finally turns to Taec and asked.  “So how long are you going to keep doing this huh?  You have to face it, Guigui is gone man.  She isn’t coming back.  It’s been 3 years already, it’s time you let her go bro.”

“Yeah man, I mean you have Yoona now.  She was who you always wanted to be with so just cheer up ok.  We hate seeing you like this.  We know you love Guigui but, maybe it’s time for you to move on,” Jay answered.

“Yeah I know you guys are right.  I should move on but, I don’t know man.  It’s harder done than said, especially since I have to live with the fact that I had hurt her so much.  I have so much guilt towards her that I feel like I am going to die.  If I know that she is doing ok then maybe I will be able to move on,” Taec replied.

“We know man, you don’t need to tell us anything.  We know what you are thinking and how you are feeling,” Jay responded.

“Is that all you need to know about Guigui before you can move on?  Do you promise?” Nichkun asked.

“What are you asking man,” Taec asked confused with a smile.

“You just said that if you knew that Guigui is doing fine then you can move on right?  Are you serious?” Nichkun asked again.

“Yeah man, I mean like you guys said.  I need to move on, I know that but it’s just kind of hard to do so when I know that I had cause so much pain to her.  I feel like I don’t deserve to be happy.”

“You sure?” Nichkun asked again.

“Yeah I guess,” Taec answered after letting out a sign.

“Ok, well then Guigui is doing really good.  She is healthy and happy.” Nichkun responded.

Taec turns to look at Nichkun for a moment before eagerly asking, “What are you talking about?  How do you know?  Did you talk to her, or did you see her?  Where?  Did she ask about me at all?”

“No, I didn’t see or talked to her at all Taec.  Come on, calm down.  One of my friends went overseas for a business meeting and he met her at a fashion show.  He came back and told me about it after showing me a picture of her,” Nichkun answered.

“Picture?  What picture?” Taec and Jay both asked anxiously.

“Hold on,” Nichkun replied and gets up.  He walks out of the room and after a couple of minutes; he enters back into the room holding some pictures.  He hands them over to Taec.  Taecyeon quickly snatches the photos away from Nichkun’s hand and started staring at each photos.  Sure enough, those were pictures of Guigui and she was not alone.  She was sitting next to her friend Aaron, Wu Chun, and Victoria while some other picture shows Xiao Gui and Jiro on stage speaking.  Taec stares at it in disbelief.  He was happy to see her smiling and looking happy in the picture but yet; he felt even more miserable then before because he kept thinking to himself that the person sitting next to her should have been him and not Aaron.  After staring at it for a long time, he finally handed the pictures back to Nichkun.

“You don’t want them?” Nichkun asked surprised.

After taking in a deep breath, Taec answers, “No, I think it’s time I start moving on with my life.  She looks happy and I am happy for her.  Besides, I am engage to Yoona now, even though it was by accident.”

“That’s the way to go Taec.” Jay answered with a smile.

“Yeah Taec, just think about the positives in your life,” Nickun replied.

Taec smiles and began to drink again.  He became so intoxicated that he was unable to drive home.  He spent the night sleeping at Nichkun’s house. 

The next morning, he wakes up and looks at the time.  “Oh crap, I am late.  I was supposed to have lunch with Yoona and my father today,” Taec thought to himself as he quickly washes his face.  He runs out and gets into his car.  He speed down the street while hoping that he isn’t late.  He enters into the house and goes upstairs to wash up and change.  Once he was finish, he came downstairs and into the kitchen.

“Where is my father?” Taec ask one of the maids.

“I believe he was out by the patio” the maid answered.

Taec walks out and sees his father sitting at the patio table drinking some tea.  He seemed to be in a good mood today, Taec thought to himself. 

He walks up to his father, “Dad, are you busy today?”

“Yes I am.  What do you want?” his father answered.

“Oh Yoona wanted me to invite you out for lunch with us today.  Can you come?”

“No sorry, I won’t be able to make it.  You guys go and enjoy.  Take all the time you want.” His father answered while smiling.

Taec nods and takes off again.  He goes and picks up Yoona.

“Where is uncle?” Yoona asked.

“He was busy so he couldn’t come.” Taec replied.

Yoona made a sad face and after they arrived at the restaurant, Yoona suggested that they get carry out so they can take it back home and eat with his father instead.  Taec nods his head and goes along with Yoona’s suggestion.  After their food was ready, they drive back home.  As they pulled into his house, they notice an unfamiliar car sitting in their driveway. 

They enter into the house and Taec shouted for his father.  “Dad, we’re home.  We decided to get carry out instead so we can enjoy lunch together.  DAD!”

Taec walks around the house shouting for his father, and still he was unable to find his father as Yoona sits in the living room waiting Taec.

“Do you know where my father is?” Taec asked one of the maids.

“Hum, I think he is still outside with a guest.” The maid answered.

“A guest?  Ah, is that who’s car it belongs to?”

“Yes.” The maid replied.

“Who is his guest?” Taec asked surpised.  His father usually doesn’t have guests come over to the house.

“I am not sure, but his guest is a young beautiful lady.” the maid answered.

Even more surprised to hear that his father have a young beautiful lady over as a guest, Taec heads outside to see who it was.  By the time Taec reaches the backyard, he only sees his father sitting alone at the patio table.

“What are you doing out here alone?  Where is your guest?” Taec asked.

“What guest, what are you talking about?” his father quickly answered.

“One of the maids told me that you had a young lady friend visiting you today?”

“What, no the maid is wrong.  What young woman would come and visit this old man?”

“Ok father, so then why are there two tea cups out here with you……and whose bag is this?”

“What!?” Taec’s father asked surprise.  After seeing the purse sitting on the chair, his father tries to reach for it but Taec grabbed it first.

“So….Are you going to tell me who your friend is or am I going to have to find out myself?” Taec asked again with a smile.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.  That purse belongs to me and don’t you dare go digging into my personal things.” His father replied.

Taec lets out a laugh, “So you’re telling me that you are now carrying a purse?  Really father?”  Taec opens up the purse and began digging through it.  He comes across the wallet and pulls it out.  Taec’s father gets up and tries to take it away but failed.  Taec opened up the wallet and sees Guigui’s driver license.  The smile on Taecyeon’s face quickly faded as he turns and look at his father.

“Guigui was here?” Taec asked.

After hesitating for a moment his father replied, “No.”

“Don’t lie to me father, I can clearly see that this purse belongs to Guigui; why else would her driver’s license be in here then.  Was Guigui here?  How long was she here for?  When did she leave?” Taec asked feeling anxious.

“She just left a second ago, she heard you calling for me just now and so she left.  She didn’t want to see you.” His father finally answered.

Taec drops everything in his hands and started running to the front of the house.  Hoping that he would catch her in time, his heart beating wildly as he chases after the girl he loves.